Is this a good app to use for people on OMAD?

When I work out fasted, I burn over 1000 calories.it rejects from my remaining calories balance. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Not sure I understand the question/problem - MFP won't give you a different amount of calories fasted or unfasted.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the question/problem - MFP won't give you a different amount of calories fasted or unfasted.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

kshama, you're using a broken Help Desk link.

Here's the new one: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    OMAD or not, you have a calorie goal that you should be meeting for whatever your goal is (lose, maintain, gain, it's all the same concept). MFP does not include your exercise in your goal. So if you exercise, you are supposed to eat back a reasonable estimate of how much you've burned, on top of what MFP made as your goal. This is just as applicable if you work out fasted and OMAD or you do 10 meals a day. CICO is the same for all of it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    When I work out fasted, I burn over 1000 calories.it rejects from my remaining calories balance. Does anyone else have this problem?

Curious what that workout burns when not fasted?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    heybales wrote: »

My bet would be that the calories would be the same either way. As you know, calories are a measure of energy/ work expended and are not dependent on being in a fed or fasted state.

I'd also guess that burn is overstated and coming from some kind of fitness device. So, in addition to your question, I'd be interested in what workout is giving someone a 1000 calorie burn.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

1000 - the kcal from a fed state? (I couldn't help it)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

My bet would be that the calories would be the same either way. As you know, calories are a measure of energy/ work expended and are not dependent on being in a fed or fasted state.

I'd also guess that burn is overstated and coming from some kind of fitness device. So, in addition to your question, I'd be interested in what workout is giving someone a 1000 calorie burn.

For me, a 1000 calorie workout would be a 10 mile run. I am fine up to (and probably past) half marathon distance for fasted runs. It does take roughly 2 hours to complete, though.

Until I hear the details, I'm fairly skeptical about claims of burning 1000 calories in a single workout, too. I'd like to add that not only am I confident in the knowledge that a fasted workout burns the same number of calories as a fed workout, it doesn't alter the macro breakdown significantly, either. And even if it did, your body is constantly seeking to maintain glycogen stores, simultaneously storing fat and breaking it down into it's basic components for energy.

I know it's already been mentioned that recording a workout increases the calorie budget by design. I have never, not for a second, considered that a problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You are getting massive adjustments from your linked Samsung device.
    Only you know what you are doing to cause those adjustments.
    If you don't want those adjustments and want to use other methods to estimate your activity and exercise then disconnect it. You also appear to be logging exercise here which I suspect is creating a double counting issue.

OMAD and any other eating pattern can be logged on MyFitnessPal.

Exercising fed or fasted is a personal preference and not a way to get higher rates of fat burn.

If you want advice on how to log exercise better then people need to know what you are doing, how long for, some info about you etc....