MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES DECEMBER CHAT

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,566 Member
    I was just reading James Clear newsletter and he had this quote that I thought was worthy of a graphic!

This was like a slap in my face! I look at my weight over the last few weeks and it is a direct result of my actions. I talk a good talk about wanting to get to Onederland and beyond but obviously it hasn't been a priority or my actions would have already taken me to where I want to be. Wow!! :o

cbkn1hxes530.png

This so very clearly stated! I love it! 💖

On a day-to-day basis, I can't get myself very much closer to any big goal, but I CAN pay attention to doing the small things that will get me there!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,891 Member

Me!Me!Me! Agree wholeheartedly that it is the consistency that counts - consistency over perfection. Yes - Consistency Over Perfection. I'll never be perfect as crap happens and I'm human. But I can always pick back up and go back to what works and be consistent in my efforts.

@TeresaW1020 - did you have something in mind, specifically?

Yes, I do have something in mind and I'm trying to think how best to make it work for us who are interested in creating habits that will get us to our goals.

I was reading about tracking habits on James Clear website and he says...

Habit tracking is powerful for three reasons.

1. It creates a visual cue that can remind you to act.
    2. It is motivating to see the progress you are making. You don't want to break your streak.
    3. It feels satisfying to record your success in the moment.

He also talked about how important it is to have a team where we can be accountable to each other. I think we have that covered! ;) I found lots of habit trackers on Google that you can download for free, which I'm going to do. But how to transfer it to here is the question I'm still wrestling with. I like how you are posting your list and think that is great. I would like to do something like that with the simplicity of a simple habit tracker format. I'm open to suggestions! ;)

Let's try to include this in our new challenge structure for January! A lot of people are looking for us to find some good ways of tracking more than just weight, or using the challenges more wisely. If you have more ideas, post away! And @TeresaW1020 - a short summary on the Captains' chat thread (or email to me) would be great. Thanks!
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    raleighgirl09
    Friday check in
    steps 12/19 11,772

A good day - and I find a great deal of comfort in putting all of the info in one place and taking the thoughts from some vague wisps of smoke that will dissipate into nothing and keeping them around so I can learn from them.

Update on yesterday: I ended up having a very late snack of a couple ounces of deli ham before bed. I don't think I was hungry but I was compelled. So far today, I have avoided that so far... => I think it'll be ok for today but I really hated adding it to my yesterday diary this morning.

Prelog 3 meals? yes
    Times? B- 11a, L-1p, D-8p
    Non-planned eating? ate a few grandbaby bites around 630 before taking her home. The plan was to take my dinner and eat it after she was in bed and I found I was hungry when I was wrapping up so I had a couple bites of hers - left a few bites of mine so it was a wash, but technically eating off-plan - I'm ok with it
    Thoughts during overeats? decided to be reasonable and not be insane about it
    Mood? decent today - rain all day which I hated but work was good and I was working at home with fuzzy slippers and candles
    Obstacles? rain, cold - not familiar yet with this elliptical someone gave me. Makes it harder to want to jump on it but I did anyway and will tomorrow
    Hunger? Some after lunch but I couldn't decide if I was hungry or just wanted to eat alone and had water - it didn't return. Thoughts of food did but I was pretty sure they were not connected to hunger so I just left the thoughts alone and on their own without rancor or action. It worked better than getting all bent out of shape about it.
    Eating to hunger? hungry for every meal - who the heck knows if I eat to the right place, one step at a time
    1% effort today? getting on that elliptical and went for 10 min. Remembered to log before eating and didn't pick at anything while I was preparing dinner bowls for everyone
    3 good things? POWER thought: my favorite podcast is a proponent of hunger cues vs calories. I listen to the advice and maintain doing calories but I think in the future I will move away from cals - but I have to have a solid foundation underneath me, first. So for now, I dissect the hunger and listen to cues. I also am asking the why of the calorie counting from a personal viewpoint. At the elliptical, I had a random thought thought float in - because it is proof of my effort which includes the number at the end of the day. I have MFP synced with Fitbit and my scale and so I can view data about my progress from several angles, on multiple platforms. And I DO, almost daily and I look at the historical in chunks of progress and it brings me pleasure and a calm. So, my next question is - why do I need that proof, in that way? Where else could I look for trust in my present and future progress if I did not have that form of data? #2 - my knee was not the first thought as an obstacle!
    Exercise? home treadmill 20min elliptical 10 min [steps logged the next day] (steps 11,772 12Dec2019)
    Sleep? 10p-5a, woke up 1.5 hours early, was a little sad about it [log the morning after]
    Nighttime eats? no - eating later in the evening helps me to not eat at night
  • raleighgirl09
    Such good conversation - I'm so glad I'm checking in more to read it all!

@Katmary71 - the struggle is real is not just a quote! You've done well and are continuing that...I have had the same issue as the candy cane. Sometimes when I am really watching what I'm eating I start to have these primal fears rooted in 'gotta get it while I can!' which doesn't make sense. I'm choosing today, or even just right now, to not have it but I promise, I have not had my last candy cane or doughnut hole. Those are foods that won't help me today to reach my goals but the choice is always available to eat those or any food; it helps to remind myself that I am not deprived, I am making a choice that I am happy about.

@TeresaW1020 I agree wholeheartedly with you and @mrmcgrath - "your actions are your real priorities" is powerful. Looking inward is how we learn and grow and if it can be managed in the same way you'd give advice to a beloved friend, it is easier to digest when it's a revelation for self-improvement. My mantra similar to this: 'whatever you do consistently will be your result'
    @TeresaW1020 back in the day when I first started my (career) weight loss, I fretted and was very anxious about going under 200 pounds. Is there something about it that may be making you anxious or is there something about it that may be stressful or worrisome? If you have some discomfort surrounding the milestone, you may be unintentionally delaying it.

@AustinRuadhain I find new habit building to be a pain in the butt! It seems to take me much longer than a few weeks to have it solid but I really like the notion of doing chunks - are you doing that in a group of a couple small related things to change or what is your 'chunk' method? How do you keep tabs on the what and hows and any progress made, and this is just me assuming that you do... =>
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    @AustinRuadhain I think of you telling us about James Clear saying to do 1% better each day when I'm dreading a workout! I chose habit stacking to write a paper on last semester, it sticks out to me with my healthier habits and trying to shape my environment to support me.

@raleighgirl09 For a late night snack, especially with that compelled feeling, you made a good choice as far as just having ham. I hate that compelling anxious feeling though, I've been struggling with it more than normal lately! I need to remind myself like you said that the food I'm tempted to grab isn't the last time I'll get the chance to eat it. Way to go on getting on the elliptical! This is going to be a long paragraph but a lot of the speakers I listen to are anti-calorie counting and more about listening to hunger cues, mindfulness, or eating the right foods are what your body is craving. I agree to an extent but am also on a medication that makes me feel hungry all the time so my instinct is to eat more than my body needs. Even before the medication it was easy to eat too much. I've been trying to shut off distractions like tv, eat more volume, chew thoroughly, lower anxiety, and wait 20 minutes before getting more food or not letting myself get more. I still think I'll be tracking at least loosely long-term. I think this varies depending on people's personalities. When I'm not at home my plans go out the window so I'm still a work in progress!
  • Katmary71
    Friday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- recumbent bike, weights, lasted 3 minutes on the elliptical before giving up! Candycane exercises

5 for 90
    1. Gym 3xs a week- got back in Wed, went today
    2. Exercise 30 minutes- done
    3. Decluttering- none
    4. Social media- checked in. May change this category
    5. Trigger foods- holy cow, I think I choose my weak days to go to the store! Survived Sprouts and bought Forks Over Knives new magazine and tea instead of seasonal goodies . Went to Trader Joe's and just a year ago I would've spent $100 on peppermint chocolate items! Had an assistant tell me a bunch of super-delicious fattening ways he eats TJ goods, I finally told him he was bad for my health and we couldn't talk anymore, wiped the drool off my chin, and ran to check out! Went to Starbucks for a gift and normally this time of year I'm all about white chocolate peppermint mochas. I got plain cold brew and put the peppermint almond milk creamer I got at Trader Joe's in it instead for 30 calories, win win! I have chocolate stocking stuffers in the house and will wrap tomorrow so I stay away from them, especially the 10 chocolate bars from around the world for my brother. Proud of myself for buying tea instead of junk!
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    12/14
    Check In
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Weight: 197.6
    Todays Weight:
    @Katmary71 so proud of you for being so strong willed! I do believe I would have caved with peppermint chocolate especially if it was dark chocolate! I am going to have to find some of that almond peppermint creamer.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09
    Friday check in
    steps 12/19 11,772

Uh, I'm sure I meant 12/12
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Hi Team sorry I have been MIA. Just busy with work more than anything else.

I have been eating so so this week. Not as good as I would have liked. My weigh in is tomorrow and I full expect it will be up a couple pounds.

My weeks start on Sunday so I'm hoping to get back on track. I don't have any more holiday events after today so that will kind of help.

The habit tracking is interesting. I do a number of things. Right now I am setting a calorie goal for 3 months, and if I make it consistently then the next series (as I call it) I will set my next goal. I also set goals for the three months related to drinking less alcohol. My thinking is if I can meet a goal for 3 months then it's probably a habit and I can move on to the next.

I have other goals related to mobility/soft tissue work I should be doing. Exercise I am pretty good at.

@Katmary71 lol telling the assistant he was bad for your health...but good for you!

I went to the gym this morning, and tomorrow will hopefully go for a run and then do some mobility work.
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,741 Member
    Username: Digger61
    December week 2
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    PW: 218
    CW: 215
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member

@jugar, I will be sure to let you know as soon as I get my idea in some kind of format that makes sense. Right now it's just rattling around in my head. :D

@raleighgirl09, I have wondered the same thing about why I can't get under 200 lbs. I've been 202 lbs twice in the last 15 years and then I go back up. This time, my going up has been much slower but it's still up and not under the 200 lb mark which it should be. What am I afraid of? I honestly don't know but it is worth giving some serious thought to. :) As to habit-building taking longer than a few weeks, it does! James Clear has a video on it that I watched this morning. He said the 21-day habit idea is a myth. Some habits we can do quickly and some can take months to formulate into something that becomes a part of us.

@its_cleo, it seems many of us are on the habit-making train. We definitely need to incorporate that into our group as Jugar suggested. :)

@digger61, congrats on your weight loss!! Three pounds is fantastic!!! B)
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Saturday Check-in
    Calories: under
    Water: over
    Exericse: Day 10 of 21-Day Fix and 20 minutes on the treadmill

I had a nice calm day which was lovely! I'm working on creating a habit tracker that will take me into the New Year. I'm a very visual person and I think having something tangible to mark off every day will really help me towards changing my habits and helping me finally reach my goal. At least that is my current idea! :)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,891 Member
    raleighgirl09
    Friday check in
    steps 12/19 11,772

A good day - and I find a great deal of comfort in putting all of the info in one place and taking the thoughts from some vague wisps of smoke that will dissipate into nothing and keeping them around so I can learn from them.

Update on yesterday: I ended up having a very late snack of a couple ounces of deli ham before bed. I don't think I was hungry but I was compelled. So far today, I have avoided that so far... => I think it'll be ok for today but I really hated adding it to my yesterday diary this morning.

Prelog 3 meals? yes
    Times? B- 11a, L-1p, D-8p
    Non-planned eating? ate a few grandbaby bites around 630 before taking her home. The plan was to take my dinner and eat it after she was in bed and I found I was hungry when I was wrapping up so I had a couple bites of hers - left a few bites of mine so it was a wash, but technically eating off-plan - I'm ok with it
    Thoughts during overeats? decided to be reasonable and not be insane about it
    Mood? decent today - rain all day which I hated but work was good and I was working at home with fuzzy slippers and candles
    Obstacles? rain, cold - not familiar yet with this elliptical someone gave me. Makes it harder to want to jump on it but I did anyway and will tomorrow
    Hunger? Some after lunch but I couldn't decide if I was hungry or just wanted to eat alone and had water - it didn't return. Thoughts of food did but I was pretty sure they were not connected to hunger so I just left the thoughts alone and on their own without rancor or action. It worked better than getting all bent out of shape about it.
    Eating to hunger? hungry for every meal - who the heck knows if I eat to the right place, one step at a time
    1% effort today? getting on that elliptical and went for 10 min. Remembered to log before eating and didn't pick at anything while I was preparing dinner bowls for everyone
    3 good things? POWER thought: my favorite podcast is a proponent of hunger cues vs calories. I listen to the advice and maintain doing calories but I think in the future I will move away from cals - but I have to have a solid foundation underneath me, first. So for now, I dissect the hunger and listen to cues. I also am asking the why of the calorie counting from a personal viewpoint. At the elliptical, I had a random thought thought float in - because it is proof of my effort which includes the number at the end of the day. I have MFP synced with Fitbit and my scale and so I can view data about my progress from several angles, on multiple platforms. And I DO, almost daily and I look at the historical in chunks of progress and it brings me pleasure and a calm. So, my next question is - why do I need that proof, in that way? Where else could I look for trust in my present and future progress if I did not have that form of data? #2 - my knee was not the first thought as an obstacle!
    Exercise? home treadmill 20min elliptical 10 min [steps logged the next day] (steps 11,772 12Dec2019)
    Sleep? 10p-5a, woke up 1.5 hours early, was a little sad about it [log the morning after]
    Nighttime eats? no - eating later in the evening helps me to not eat at night

Floating around the groups, and I LOVE your wisps of thought, learning from those wisps before they get away, and your format of each item. Thanks!
  • Katmary71
    @mrmcgrath Thank you! The Trader Joe's cocoa peppermint almond creamer isn't very strong, though I'm only using 1T for 30 calories, that may be why. I should've bought peppermint extract to get my peppermint fix but the creamer was cheaper.

@digger61 great loss!

@its_cleo I like your idea of changing habits in 3-month increments, it's not as overwhelming that way. I did no sweets for 2 months knowing I'd be off for Thanksgiving and aside of a setback when I received cookies in the mail I've continued it.

Sat check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- bike, floor exercises

Good on trigger foods though I ate dinner extra early again. It's not a huge problem as I'm not hungry after working out but I'm eating too much too close together instead of eating regular meals.
  • hinemoa2088
    hinemoa2088 Posts: 60 Member
    hinemoa2088
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Week 2
    PW: 159.6
    CW: 160.2
  • apple852hk
    apple852hk Posts: 210 Member
    Weigh in
    Apple852hk
    Week 3 - Dec 2019
    Sunday
    PW 159.8 (72.5kg)
    CW 160.7 (72.9kg)

Gained weight again this week. Wasn't as mindful as baking home made mince pies and kept eating them as made so many. The not so perfect ones not gifted, so I ate them instead.
    I'm baking more mince pies on Monday but I'm making a promise to myself that I'll eat only 3 and no more.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited December 2019
    Good morning everyone! This week’s group challenge is brought to you by team Weight No More. It is a simple daily challenge about starting to define your 2020 goals and how to get there. The daily themes are posted on the Week 3 challenge thread.

arwx6e5d8gab.jpeg

• Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    GOOD MORNING TEAMS THE WEEK 2 TALLIES FOR THE GROUP ARE IN
    HERE IS HOW IT ALL SHOOK OUT

gnwfpp1p72kz.png

edbmb6j4cd0z.png

THE WINNERS ARE...
    TEAM % Fitness Warriors 0.63%
    INDIVIDUAL % Mulecanter 3.28%
    TEAM LBS LOST Fitness Warriors 32.5
    INDIVIDUAL LBS LOST Mulecanter 6.8

As a whole we lost 63.2 pounds or 0.26%!!

PLACE TEAM PERCENTAGE
    1st Fitness Warriors 0.63%
    2nd Weight No More 0.37%
    3rd Trimstones 0.25%

PLACE TEAM LBS LOST
    1st Fitness Warriors 32.5
    2nd Weight No More 12.8
    3rd Trimstones 9.1

PLACE INDIVIDUAL PERCENTAGE
    1st @Mulecanter 3.28%
    2nd @SLIMN2016 3.09%
    3rd @kirsten11872 2.63%

PLACE INDIVIDUAL LBS LOST
    1st @Mulecanter 6.8
    2nd @SLIMN2016 5.2
    3rd @robynleegetsfit 4.8

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    @Krystalkayefisher
    @Tami_H
    @robynleegetsfit
    @raleighgirl09
    @KathynDes
    @kmargut
    @Luciicul
    @DanielleInProgress
    @Kbrad2325
    pieyz95va6iy.png

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    weekly weigh in
    Name- itscleo
    Day: Sunday
    Weigh in week: week 3 I think
    Previous weight: 156
    Current weight: 157.8

Well this is because of holiday dinners. On the bright side when I get back on track this week it will seem like I lost 2 or 3 lbs at once! :D

Week 3 challenge- On my run today I will devote some time to thinking about goals for 2020. That is a good challenge. I used to do 6 months goals, and then every 6 months would do accomplishments and new goals. (Was something I learned from a therapist) but I haven;t done it in years. > One thing is some goals I'm afraid to make bc I'm afraid I can't do it. So maybe I should challenge that.

@apple852hk hard to resist when cooking/baking....sounds like you have a good goal for next time. They sound good though, maybe I should look up a recipe and give it a try. Just sounds like such a nice traditional holiday food.

@Katmary71 No sweets for two months wow. That is impressive.

This week's goals- stick with my exercise plan, track calories correctly without estimating.
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    12/15
    Check In
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Weight: 197.6
    Todays Weight:

Yesterday
    Calories: over/underunder
    Water: over/under? Right at
    Macros: carbs high, protein low
    Steps : 5968
    Exercise: walking

5 for 90:
    Meet step goal
    Stay hydrated
    Make self care a priority
    Meditate and or journal daily
    Encourage someone

Get friends! A few victories for the week despite being up a tad bit on the scale. 1. I had my yearly wellness exam this week and was dreading the scale. You know how it is, you weigh at home at one weight and then at the doctors it is 10 pounds heavier. Not this time! It was only a difference of 3 pounds and that was with heavy boot shoes and still below the 200 mark! So happy! And 2. Last night I walked around downtown Fort Worth to see the Christmas Tree and did so in heels! I could not do that last year!
This discussion has been closed.