A question for "older" women.

I have heard so much - and have experienced it as well - that it is SO freaking hard to lose weight post menopause. Hard is one thing. Is it impossible? if not, what helps?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I’m 52 post menopause. Current loss is 40 lbs ain the past year and half, and I’m now a half pound away from a healthy BMI. While it was certainly easier to lose weight in my 20s and 30s, I was more active then due to my kids being younger and requiring more hands on attention. But losing weight in my 50s hasn’t been impossible. It just requires patience and focus.

My advice is just keep tracking your food as accurately as you can. Try to find ways to incorporate more movement into your daily life.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I lost 35 post menopause, gained it back, then lost 55. I've maintained that loss for more than 5 years. My metabolism is very good, evidently, since I burn more calories than the average for someone my age (63). I became a runner 8 years ago and run about 35-40 mpw so I can do marathons every spring and other races during the year. That allows me to eat pretty much what I want, most of the time.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    43-45lb range of loss (yo-up’s back y forth) but doing it had to do research y use the app to figure the right calories for me make it work. Walking indoors to chasing ball with a 2yr old even tho I’m in my 40’s seems slower harder than ever before getting there inch by inch
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I am 59 years old- I have lost almost 30 pounds using MFP- with the suggested number of calories- I also like to walk for exercise and I sometimes lift smaller weights for muscle mass(lol)- anyway I have lost weight- yes my weight loss has been slow but still I usually check my weight and compare over a MONTH- because weekly - there are just so many fluctuations and I will sometimes get discouraged- but monthly helps me know that I am going down- now around the holidays- I would LOVE to go down- but I know even if I maintain- that is fine because of all the holiday treats and fun times with family and I don't want to MISS them- You can do this! just take your time- what else have we got to do- we are going to live- so we might as well try to live healthier lives(smile)
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm 68, and I've lost 59 pounds and now I'm within a healthy weight range and BMI, so yes, it can be done. And YES, it's harder to lose weight when you're older versus when younger, simply because your body slows down after menopause, you don't burn as many calories so it just takes a bit longer. But not only is it not impossible, it's not that much harder! You just have to be completely aware of how much you're eating versus how much your burning. So you can do this, many of us have, many of us will continue to lose or maintain, and we're gonna be smexy older women together! You've got this. ;)