Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I suppose it was small favors that having been divorced, I got to relish getting below my ex-wife's weight. She started losing weight about a year ago because her work charges less for insurance when people aren't obese, or if they're obese and provide documentation of weight loss steps. She's only recently got to about the same weight as me though she's been stalling, and I take a small, petty solace from her lower height and muscle means weighing the same as me is very different.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Despair. It was easy to stick to my rule of no soda or candy until my Blood Sugar was in the normal range. My last lab results showed my blood sugar in the normal range. I can reasonable add a few things back if I can fit them into my daily calories. My biggest worry is that once these treats are back I won't be able to stop... ack!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    In my efforts to get off my cholesterol medication I am requiring myself to complete 30 minutes of cardio level exercise each day. I use an Apple watch so my goal is to close my exercise ring.

I am so freaking childish about some things. Since my water weight gain the elliptical has been extra murder-y so this morning I decided to go for a brisk walk... something I really like doing... but knowing that I have that requirement made it suck just like it does every other morning on the elliptical.

Yesterday I got over 90 minutes of exercise and while I enjoyed the 60 minutes I hated the first 30. That is so dumb and so childish.

Whatever... the important thing is that I get up early and get it done so I don't have it hanging over my head which is another thing with which my quirky personality does not deal well.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    ugh! scale has been uncooperative for another 1.5 weeks, then last night I stayed up late watching a movie with friends, did some snacking and drinking, so *of course* I get a new low this morning. what's up with that!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    amkita wrote: »
    ugh! scale has been uncooperative for another 1.5 weeks, then last night I stayed up late watching a movie with friends, did some snacking and drinking, so *of course* I get a new low this morning. what's up with that!

The ways our bodies work is so frustrating...I was up 2 lbs this morning and I ate the same all week!....every time I eat in a restaurant my weight goes up a little for a couple of days...it has to be the amount of sodium they use to prepare the food...hope your weight stays down!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Sign me up!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    LOL - no really, LOL! "Thinema" I can't stop giggling!
    Thanks @NovusDies (wipes tears from eyes and continues to chortle, giggle, laugh and applaud).
  • amkita
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Obviously the movie made you lose weight. A new internet diet fad is born!! I think it should be called Thinema.

I have years of research* that fails to support this hypothesis, sadly.

*I watch a lotof movies. currently at around 120 for the year. :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    amkita wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Obviously the movie made you lose weight. A new internet diet fad is born!! I think it should be called Thinema.

I have years of research* that fails to support this hypothesis, sadly.

*I watch a lotof movies. currently at around 120 for the year. :)

OMG!...120?.....I think I have seen maybe four movies all year!...we watch TV shows but I mostly read,write or knit or play Facebook games!...but if it makes you thinner, I need to start watching them!
  • astidog99
    astidog99 Posts: 20 Member
    I just need to say... Counting the votes from yesterday's general election is not good for the calorie count. It was a complete sugar fest! Chocolate instantly distributed on the table, then a free pick and mix sweet station, and a table of flapjacks/shortbread/minirolls etc. I know we were there until 4am and they need to keep energy levels up - they definitely succeeded in that. However... this morning the scales showed a loss :) I suppose an extra 6 hours of activity rather than sleeping helped towards that :)
  • amkita
    election officiate-ing is hard work, especially in terms of brain-power! I work at a local ward and man... November elections are busy! way to contribute, @astidog99
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    @NovusDies I do the same with the AppleWatch. It’s so frustrating when you get over 30 minutes of exercise (ie walking) and only a few minutes counted as exercise on the watch. Makes December’s challenge-31 days of closing all 3 circles-really hard. Lol.

Good luck with the cholesterol meds and changes!!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Having some health issues not weight related. My blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good and cholesterol good. So those markers are behaving 😁. I have developed an autoimmune issue which requires an MRI to start investigations off with. My father and sister both have different autoimmune problems so I guess our genes are just not good! Spent the day in a bit of pain so had my first ice cream in months! Logged it and enjoyed it. But now berating myself for old habits of emotional eating. Oh well....it was mindful and deliberate. I was curled upon the couch watching the storm outside and enjoying being inside, not working. Ice cream just topped it off.
  • NovusDies
    edited December 2019
    @NovusDies I do the same with the AppleWatch. It’s so frustrating when you get over 30 minutes of exercise (ie walking) and only a few minutes counted as exercise on the watch. Makes December’s challenge-31 days of closing all 3 circles-really hard. Lol.

Good luck with the cholesterol meds and changes!!

The December challenge is 25 days of closing 3 rings. I have done the first 15 and I did the elliptical this morning and closed my exercise and I am currently 46 percent on my movement.

I have my movement set at 600 calories. I was thinking about increasing it again but I think that is a good minimum. I still have knee problems so on good days I can hit 200 percent and higher on fair days I should be able to push myself enough to still close it. I want to feel the motivation of continuing the streak without killing myself to do it. I think that works better for me and I am not the kind of person that stops when the rings are full.

It takes me 2 to 2.5 miles to close my exercise ring at a brisk walk. I have found that is is more efficient (not surprisingly) when the watch can see the sky. When it is covered by a heavy coat sometimes very little walking will count for exercise.

You also need to make sure your watch arm swings free and it fits snugly.
  • NovusDies
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Having some health issues not weight related. My blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good and cholesterol good. So those markers are behaving 😁. I have developed an autoimmune issue which requires an MRI to start investigations off with. My father and sister both have different autoimmune problems so I guess our genes are just not good! Spent the day in a bit of pain so had my first ice cream in months! Logged it and enjoyed it. But now berating myself for old habits of emotional eating. Oh well....it was mindful and deliberate. I was curled upon the couch watching the storm outside and enjoying being inside, not working. Ice cream just topped it off.

First I hope this issue can be controlled easily and effectively.

Second it does not sound like you revisited an old habit completely. It sounds more like you adapted it to fit your new habits which I think is a win.
  • tiffany80802017
    @NovusDies that’s really interesting your December challenge is 25 days. Mine says “close all 3 rings 31 times and you’ll earn this award”. I thought everyone’s was the same, learned something new 😀thank you!!!

So far so good for me too (16 days now). I find the rings to be motivating, and I too keep going if past. Interesting to hear how you use your watch and set it.

I didn’t really know where to start when I first got it but picked some numbers from trial and error over the years. I increased my activity goal to 1050 last week (from 910), but plan to reduce by a few hundred or so in late Feb when I won’t have as much time for activity.

For the watch not counting exercise, I think I don’t walk fast enough sometimes. I get passed by a lot people when I’m walking or hiking😀
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies that’s really interesting your December challenge is 25 days. Mine says “close all 3 rings 31 times and you’ll earn this award”. I thought everyone’s was the same, learned something new 😀thank you!!!

So far so good for me too (16 days now). I find the rings to be motivating, and I too keep going if past. Interesting to hear how you use your watch and set it.

I didn’t really know where to start when I first got it but picked some numbers from trial and error over the years. I increased my activity goal to 1050 last week (from 910), but plan to reduce by a few hundred or so in late Feb when I won’t have as much time for activity.

For the watch not counting exercise, I think I don’t walk fast enough sometimes. I get passed by a lot people when I’m walking or hiking😀

I thought we all had the same challenges too. I have had my watch since April of this year. If you had it "for years" perhaps it increased your challenge.

There is a way to calibrate it for you too. I remember seeing it mentioned in articles but I have not actually done it myself.

I hit over 1050 quite often but I don't think I could do it each day yet. Today I was feeling sore and achy so I finished the day at 960. I may still consider going higher than 600 but not yet. A lot of this is new for me since hitting 500 before my surgery was a big day.
  • tiffany80802017
    @NovusDies Me too!! I checked with someone else that recently (October) got an Apple Watch, and she said her December challenge was already completed and it was to complete all 3 circles 1 time. Interesting :)

For me, I know my biggest opportunity to be active, due to lower work hours, is December/January so I increased mine to push myself over the next 2 months. There’s no way I can regularly double it this high, but that’s okay, when I lower it March-June, hopefully will have an opportunity once in a while. I’ve yet to get the award for 4x (even when it was lower).

Good luck with your surgery!!! Sounds like you have a good plan to prepare yourself beforehand, and manage activity after.