NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Bit of a bump...
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Tis the season (up north anyway) to shovel your snow... and your neighbours! There's some extra NEAT for sure!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    redcase wrote: »
    Tis the season (up north anyway) to shovel your snow... and your neighbours! There's some extra NEAT for sure!

Welllll, maybe. I only need to shovel a few times in a typical Winter, but when I do, it's 4+ inches of snow on about 1500+ square feet of driveway. Takes 2-4 hours, depending on amount and consistency of the snow. Better believe I'm counting that as exercise calories, and eating them! ;)

But yes, if only a bit of shoveling, that's good NEAT!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Doing a check-in for two reasons. One is to offer this link for more info (it's a text article and stream of an audio segment from U.S. National Public Radio):

Wiggle While You Work: Fidgeting May Fight Fat

The other is just an observation: Yesterday, while using the drive-up teller window at my credit union (in a rush), I was thinking about how rarely I use drive-ups anymore, and how much I dislike it when I do. In this scenario, it would've felt more satisfying (for various reasons) to park the car, hotfoot it into the lobby, wait in line (doing my usual low-drama fidgety waiting in line stuff), transact and leave. Because I'm weird, it would've felt like a shorter time, even though I think in this case it would've been objectively longer/slower, because I would've been doing something, rather than waiting in the car all antsy but fairly still, waiting for the teller to Do Stuff. :lol:

It's kind of fun, sometimes, to run into the coffee shop (or whatever), note the last car in line at the drive-up, and see if I beat them out of there. It can also be entertaining to watch the car occupants from inside the coffee shop, and see who uses the drive-up (everyone ;) ) vs. who goes in.

Park, sprint, fidget, order, pay, fidget, grab, run, get in & drive . . . vs. drive, idle, order, idle, pay, idle, grab, drive? It's possible to fidget while the car idles, of course. ;)

You have drive through banks? I’ve never heard of them. The rise of drive through restaurants in the uk is not a good thing imo. It makes me sad seeing people parked in their cars eating food. I get that it’s convenient but I would much rather go in to the restaurant sit down and eat.

I like this thread for the ideas. I actually enjoy fidgeting when I work( I’m a desk jockey) . I find it helps me think.

We have had drive-through banks in the U.S. for at least 50 years. I remember tellers sending lollipops (suckers, hard candy on sticks -- not sure what you call them in the U.K.) -- in the drawer (if you were in the lane beside the teller) or the canister in the pneumatic tube (if you were in the far lane) for me when I was a little girl and my mother was using the drive through.
  • katsheare
    @RCPV Love that! We're in an area of the UK with more people than the infrastructure was ever intended for, so I joke that it's quicker to walk than drive anyway! As an aside, some of the most beautiful hikes I've taken were in your state!
  • katsheare
    @RCPV Stunning!!! I'd want to walk, too ;)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I work from home most days, so I got a treadmill desk a few years ago. I don’t walk fast (less than 2mph) or for the whole work day, but it definitely keeps me moving and burning some NEAT calories! If it’s enough calories (from several hours), I’ll eat some of them back.
  • katsheare
    Right, back at work second full working week of the year. I need this thread!!
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    I work from home most days, so I got a treadmill desk a few years ago. I don’t walk fast (less than 2mph) or for the whole work day, but it definitely keeps me moving and burning some NEAT calories! If it’s enough calories (from several hours), I’ll eat some of them back.

How's it going??
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    I walk back and forth during conference calls.

I fired my lawn guy.

Instead of riding my bike, I started WALKING when I WALK my dog. (he had a hard time adjusting)
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    This doesn't fall into NEAT, but thought it would be a good new habit.

sbvb4jl5fo1w.jpg
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    This doesn't fall into NEAT, but thought it would be a good new habit.

sbvb4jl5fo1w.jpg

Maybe, but sounds foul!

Wow!! What an impressive routine. I would love to have that kind of discipline, but, I know that that's a bit far-fetched for me - I think I'd need to start with a more attainable goal. Something simpler. (:
    Maybe I'll work up to 100 burpees, but I know that wouldn't be good for me right now (for a few reasons).
    But, there are things that I CAN do instead, and still develop a good sense of discipline while also celebrating my body's mobility:
    - I can start my morning with a walk. (I have done that for a couple of years now). I usually walk at least 2 miles, but even once around the block is better than nothing!
    - I can make my bed every morning (that's not much for physical activity, but it takes some energy - and, well, who doesn't like to crawl into a freshly-made bed every night? (: )
    - I can pace when I brush my teeth, or do wall-sits.
    ....and there are so many other seemingly little things I can do - it all adds up!!