What is/was your plan?

Replies

• My plan short and long term is to keep doing what I am doing!...
    If you aren’t already, keep revisiting the reasons behind your plan, all the things you want and desire in life, and all the things you have and are grateful for here and now. You are doing great. Be your amazing future self today!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My plan was to survive Thanksgiving without eating everything in sight!...the fact is I DID eat all sorts of things I should have left alone and I gained weight....so back to plan A. And I am going to lose weight the month of December!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    My plan was to survive Thanksgiving without eating everything in sight!...the fact is I DID eat all sorts of things I should have left alone and I gained weight....so back to plan A. And I am going to lose weight the month of December!

I also ate way more than I should have during the Thanksgiving holiday. It is ok though, a couple of bad days will not wreck everything. According to the scale I gained almost 10 lbs, I know most of that is "water weight" and in a week or so I will be back down to where I "should" be. Get back on track, we are all still better off than we were last Thanksgiving.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm just glad we don't have Thanksgiving over here! It's the end of the school year for us and we've had dinners, lunches, morning teas for what seems like weeks. I have avoided all the sweet treats, and eaten 1 small club sandwich each time. I've been having plant-based dinners which has resulted in lower calories at night. I feel like I've been avoiding treats forever...but I know if I have one brownie I'll have three!
    My plan for Christmas is to cook a salmon on the BBQ and have one slice of pavlova for dessert.
    I've discovered I'm a volume eater and vegetarian is the way to go as much as possible for me. Fish and vegetables. I'm not missing the meat. Never thought I'd find that out about myself! It's summer over here so there's a plethora of fresh vegetables around and a great variety. Beans, lentils, barley and chickpeas for protein. I'm learning to like tofu, especially silken tofu in soup.
  • michne16 wrote: »
    1. Clean eating( real food, nothing artificial or processed)
    2. Exercising regularly with activities I like that are sustainable
    3. Trying out new things so I don’t get bored-recipes, exercise classes
    4. Avoiding sugar- cannot handle it. Finally came to terms with the fact that moderation with sugar does not work for me.
    5. Batch cooking and meal planning
    6. Journaling daily
    7. Getting adequate sleep
    8. Making concerted effort to drink lots of water (I do well during the week but struggle on weekends)
    9. Establish sustainable, good habits (picking better options at restaurants, packing gym bag and lunch the night before, following a gym schedule, not eating when I’m not actually hungry-this is still a work in progress).
    10. Establish goals. These keep me motivated and interested in the process.

I’m 123lbs down, have lowered my BP, am no longer pre-diabetic, and no longer have heartburn. I am still trying to reverse my NAFLD but otherwise my health is pretty good as is my bloodwork. On Friday, for the first time in a very long time my weight went from obese to overweight according to BMI.

Awesomeness within!
  • maiomaio71
    Thinking about joining the gym. Trying to determine if I'll use it enough to justify the cost. It has a private endless pool you can book which is appealing because my knee is really bothering me at the moment and swimming might help. Unfortunately I get wicked eczema from chlorine so it will definitely affect me. But I can do strength training as well. Going on past behavior I'll be obsessed for two or three months then stop going. I will have to make sacrifices to afford it so I need to make sure it's the right thing to do. It has a yoga class that suits me time-wise but although I've been doing it at home I'm not sure I'm ready to do it in public!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I found the idea of a gym pretty intimidating at first, but I got over that pretty quickly once I started attending. Then again, I still won't swim in public... ha.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    I found the idea of a gym pretty intimidating at first, but I got over that pretty quickly once I started attending. Then again, I still won't swim in public... ha.

My love for the water has never made my weight keep me out of the pool!...if I see someone looking at me I ask them to look at my face please!...I guess the years our daughter did competitive swimming and synchronized swimming just made me love the water more!...a lot of guys wear water shirts in the pool...you are really missing out on a wonderful exercise!
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    I used to spend a lot of time in the gym, mostly weight training but did cardio a few days a week too. I have to say I've never really noticed anyone else and I think that's more normal than not from my experience. Most of the regulars were there for themselves, selfish but true, and the interaction between regulars was mostly limited to 'hey'. Only one time I noticed an extremely large person but that was because she asked me about a treadmill setting as I was just getting off of a nearby one. If she didn't reach out to me for input I'd never have noticed she was there.
    Point is, don't let your worries hold you back.
  • maiomaio71
    The endless pool is private...you book it for half an hour all by yourself! That's part of the appeal. The yoga is more that I still can't do all of the poses and my knee makes it hard to get up and down off the floor. I'm thinking that I will pay for 6 months and give it a go.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Good for you merph. Sometimes you need to take a break. Both mind and body need a reset.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    So, that's done. I gained about 5 lbs in water weight and it started stressing me out more than a deficit did! Started back at a deficit yesterday and dropped 4 lbs overnight. /sighs in relief.

I believe that as humans we are all creatures of habit. When in the deficit habit/mindset, breaking that can be a stress. Especially when you think you might be losing the loses you worked hard for. At some point all of us have to find a way to switch from deficit to maintenance. If you unlock that secret please share.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    So, that's done. I gained about 5 lbs in water weight and it started stressing me out more than a deficit did! Started back at a deficit yesterday and dropped 4 lbs overnight. /sighs in relief.

I believe that as humans we are all creatures of habit. When in the deficit habit/mindset, breaking that can be a stress. Especially when you think you might be losing the loses you worked hard for. At some point all of us have to find a way to switch from deficit to maintenance. If you unlock that secret please share.

Because I bank calories for it I have had a maintenance day nearly each week for the entire time I have been losing it is not a big deal. Add to that I have switched to maintenance for deficit breaks, holidays, vacations, etc. off and on too. My habit is established as logging and managing my calories which usually results in a deficit but sometimes not.

It was extremely important to me to move completely away from my all or nothing mindset that has contributed to many or most of my failures. I have accomplished that I believe.

Because of my spreadsheet I do not fear weight regain when eating more. I have watched my weight go up and down through various eating patterns and not once have I experienced a fat regain while eating maintenance. I have also found that fat weight is not regained at exactly 3500 calories per pound of surplus. It is a bit more complicated than that.

That is not to say I didn't pause when during Thanksgiving 2018 while eating maintenance for 10 days my weight shot up 20 pounds. That might have confirmed all my worst fears except the spreadsheet said (basically) that it was impossible. It was right.
  • Your actions have created your current result. If you desire different results, you need to change your actions. An action repeated over and over again can create new habits and ultimately new results. A part of the brain is a “creature of habit.” Another part of the brain is considered the “higher thinking brain.” You actually don’t need to act on either, but learning to ignore the “creature of habits” negative thoughts and listen to your higher thinking thoughts more often is a part of creating new habits in alignment with future results you desire. The more consistently you act, the more you can retrain the creature of habits to like the changes, It still doesn’t mean your creature of habit, who’s main purpose is to keep you out of pain and into pleasure doesn’t try to convince you a 10000 calorie snickers bar ice cream sundae covered in hot fudge and peanut M&M’s is ok because of all the hard work and progress you have made. But your higher thinking brain knows otherwise. Your higher thinking brain might help convince your creature of habit to settle for a 1000 calorie version of the same, without creating overwhelming thoughts of deprivation.
  • merph518
    @NovusDies Yeah, my brain knew it was just water weight. That didn't help though, haha. I'll have to get better at that in the future, but for now I can just go back to a deficit. I've got plenty more to lose.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @NovusDies Yeah, my brain knew it was just water weight. That didn't help though, haha. I'll have to get better at that in the future, but for now I can just go back to a deficit. I've got plenty more to lose.

Next time you try it you should know to expect the bump on the scale and perhaps it won't shake you.

• merph518
    That and how quick/easy it was to recover, yeah. Though I'm glad I'm failing at not eating at a deficit instead of the opposite ;)