Crossing the street

thereshegoesagain
thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
I walk around my small town a lot. When using a crosswalk and cars are waiting on my I always pick up my pace or jog to clear the roadway.
When I'm driving and am waiting on someone in the crosswalk, they usually seem to just walk a slow pace and don't seem to care that they are holding up traffic.
Which type are you, cross quickly or not alter your walking pace?

Replies

• AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    I walk normal unless the cross light is about to turn.
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    I run. I don't really trust drivers not to mow me down.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    My Crosswalk Walk ??

Exactly like this:

giphy.gif

Always remember, if you 'talk the talk'.... you gotta 'walk the walk'.

• AriesFL
    edited December 2019
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My Crosswalk Walk ??

Exactly like this:

giphy.gif

I hope you spin and walk back into the cross walk. Let those cars check you out.
  • Motorsheen
    AriesFL wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My Crosswalk Walk ??

Exactly like this:

giphy.gif

I hope you spin and walk back into the cross walk. Let those cars check you out.

always.

sometimes I'll drop a nickel in the middle of the crosswalk just so I can backtrack to pick it up.... bending from the waist.
  • AriesFL
    That is good. I just bend over the hood of cars as I pass
    ij6ujfvq94fd.gif
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    edited December 2019
    Small town here too. I don’t run, maybe walk briskly, but no run. I don’t want to fall, or give any bounce for someone to laugh at.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i walk. less likely to trip and fall
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I walk around my small town a lot. When using a crosswalk and cars are waiting on my I always pick up my pace or jog to clear the roadway.
    When I'm driving and am waiting on someone in the crosswalk, they usually seem to just walk a slow pace and don't seem to care that they are holding up traffic.

I'm the type who looks both ways - twice - before stepping one foot off the curb.

And then I fast-walk, or run, to the other side.

Related side bar: does it seem like no one teaches kids to look both ways before crossing anymore?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »

I'm the type who looks both ways - twice - before stepping one foot off the curb.

And then I fast-walk, or run, to the other side.

Related side bar: does it seem like no one teaches kids to look both ways before crossing anymore?

i have not noticed this to be the case.
    my one dog even looks both ways-she learned that on her own
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I walk outside a lot to the beat of the music so I don't really change my pace. I also don't trust the drivers here so usually only cross at lights...and even then!
  • Motorsheen
    SSIT-SillyWalk.gif
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I cross quickly. Not jogging but a brisk pace. Some of our lights are very brief so you don't get much time on the green.

Texting pedestrians are a nuisance. No, you don't stop in the middle of the street because you are engrossed in some message you're reading.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    It depends whether or not the person waiting is a jerk or not. Jerk I walk like an old lady who had back surgery last week if a kind person I sprint.
  • keepmelean
    keepmelean Posts: 28 Member
    I pick things up to a slow jog.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I cross quickly. Not jogging but a brisk pace. Some of our lights are very brief so you don't get much time on the green.

Texting pedestrians are a nuisance. No, you don't stop in the middle of the street because you are engrossed in some message you're reading.

This. Our lights are brief. I'm in a smallish Midwestern city and there's not a lot of foot traffic so I go a little faster honestly worried about being hit by the giant SUVs everywhere.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    As a lifelong inner city dweller, I wave a "thank you for not killing me" & move along at a runner's pace, when someone lets me go ahead of them, whether in a car or driving. When driving, I know the pain of missing a bus cuz some nonce in a Fiat feels the need to express laughable power in a desire to refuse allowing pedestrians to pass.

Please, go ahead of me. I won't die cuz I got home 10-seconds later. If someone allows me to pass, bless you... you may have saved me far more than 10-seconds.

BTW, for those lifelong pedestrians... eye contact with a driver & a smile almost always makes them stop. Sometimes, they've got things on their mind & just don't see you.

Patience is a virtue... even though I find it's tested, at times.