Getting rid of skinny fat syndrome

Replies

• jhawkins16
    jhawkins16 Posts: 29 Member
    I think when I started distance running I had a wrong idea of what a distance runners body looked like. You’re right mamapegs. I just need to focus on improving my race times and try to eat for my health and not really worry about my body as I’m at a healthy weight already anyway. I think my pre running days of being obese have damaged my outlook on things and I probably will never have a body I’m happy with because of unrealistic expectations. I just gotta work on that mindset.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Speaking from my own experience, after running 4 marathons, I found that running that much wasn't particularly healthy, for me. My knees were sore constantly, my hip flexors always felt worn out, my feet had some weird callouses in places there shouldn't be callouses, lost toenails a couple of times, my feet were in pain all the time and my sex drive was low. Some of that was just because I'm terrible about listening to my body. I always hear that movie line "Pain is just weakness leaving the body" running through my head and so I didn't recover sufficiently, especially given my age, but some of it is just par for the course when you run that much.

I've felt much better since shifting my focus to resistance training with a couple of interval/HIIT classes a week and more moderate cardio. And, like @mmapags, probably even more so, I'm vain, I look much better. :D

Did I lose weight running that much? Absolutely. When I ran that much I found it almost impossible to eat back all the calories I burned during my peak training weeks. On long run days my Garmin would estimate my calorie burn at 2,800 calories. I wasn't "skinny fat" I was just effing skinny! I do miss the long runs. When you get in a zone running for 3ish hours it's very meditative, but I don't miss the grind of running every day that's required to get to a point where you can do 3+ hour runs. I also miss getting that foot-long Subway steak sandwich smothered in mayo after my long runs and having ZERO worries about the calories! lol. But overall I feel, and look, better.

Same! I never got into super long distance running, but I did a half marathon. I personally have hypermobile ligaments and after the race I was limping and my back was so sore, despite the fact I had done enough training. Now I do moderate cardio, mostly walking and stationary bike and some short runs (5-10k), combined with yoga and weights. I feel like I have a better all around fitness and also look the best I ever have. And my body hurts a lot less.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    For aesthetics you definitely need to do resistance training of some sort. And like the guys said, weight training and marathon training don't really go together.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm late to this thread but how can you be skinny fat at 5'8" and 148#?

Those are almost exactly my stats now and my BF as measured by DEXA and hydro is about 10-12% and my BMI is a very acceptable 22.5, well w/in the normal range.

So, I question whether you (OP) are truly skinny fat

Granted, I've done a lot of lifting in the past and have visible abs and muscle definition but all I do now is watch what I eat and row.

All I think you need to do is just supplement your running w/lifting and a higher protein diet to promote greater muscular develooment, making sure you are at a slight caloric surplus and are not burning away all of the cals running.
  • jhawkins16
    Sgt1372 I’m going to get my body fat tested again. I got it tested in July and it was 10.6% BF at 142.6 pounds. I’m curious where it’s at now
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    I was 148 lbs and skinny fat. I believe him
  • jhawkins16
    Did you severely cut your calories to drop weight like I did? I think that’s the cause.
  • giancarlov1191
    Low calories, low carb, long distance running. This picture is me in January 2018, I was 100% below 150, cant remember if it was 146 or 148.
  • giancarlov1191
    Sorry, here it ist4oiy09nox5m.jpg
  • Sorry, here it ist4oiy09nox5m.jpg

You look lean but with not much muscle mass. I’m not sure we all share the same definition of skinny fat. Perhaps it would help if OP posted a picture of himself, if he wants to.
  • jhawkins16
    I will later on today. I’ll get someone to take a photo of me.
  • giancarlov1191
    Sorry, here it ist4oiy09nox5m.jpg

You look lean but with not much muscle mass. I’m not sure we all share the same definition of skinny fat. Perhaps it would help if OP posted a picture of himself, if he wants to.

That about sums it up. Over a year of low calories and high cardio, and I had no muscle left
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    10.6% body fat for a man falls under "lean" or "ideal" depending on your age...so that's not fat or skinny fat by definition...however, I'm totally a fan of more muscle, so if you want a more muscular look then good on you for adding some lifting.

I don't run, but my son is a runner (long and short distances), and he lifts about an hour 2x/week in addition to his running (6-10 miles per day, 6x/week) to build muscle, he also does core work 3x/week (15 min, but intense)...so, it seems to me, that it is possible to run and lift and balance them that so it's doesn't degrade your running performance...but he does eat an insane amount of food, so probably need to increase intake to offset any lifting you add.

He's also still a student and might have more free time than you do as an real grown up.
  • giancarlov1191
    I think it's really difficult to draw comparisons here.

Was your son overweight to start with?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

He looks thin with not much muscle mass. I wouldn't call that lean at all. When I was in the military and had a BMI of 20 but looked like an anatomical model of skeletal muscle with all the fat and skin ripped off... that is thin and lean... lean = "ripped". ;)

He looks like his bf % in that photo is at least 20% and I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. He may not meet the medical definition of medically obese normal-weight (25% or greater) but it's really hard to tell as you wear that weight much differently when you are MONW. A number of years ago before I got fed up and started lifting seriously, I was "skinny fat" and did meet the definition of MONW as I had a normal BMI but was probably 30% body fat.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    jhawkins16 wrote: »
    I will later on today. I’ll get someone to take a photo of me.

Yeah, I'm very curious as to what you think 10% body fat looks like. That's really ripped and a level that most men cannot maintain for very long. You would have very defined abs, be very vascular and have clear separation/definition of almost every muscle in your body. You may not look very muscular in clothes but in a tank top or shirtless you would look more ripped than Bruce Lee.