What is/was your plan?

13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited December 2019
    merph518 wrote: »
    That and how quick/easy it was to recover, yeah. Though I'm glad I'm failing at not eating at a deficit instead of the opposite ;)

Not to add to your apprehension for next time but it is not always that quick and easy. In fact, most of the people I have seen report your situation take 3 to 5 days. Sometimes even longer... this is my 10th day whooshing and I am now up to just under 18 pounds lost. I should be close to the end now because I am 1 pound higher than the lowest weight I have recorded recently.

ETA: Generally when I have 5 or less pounds of water weight my normal "turn around" time is 3 to 5 days too.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My plan was to be at 250 by Nov 1.... the reality is I am not going to make it unless I lose 3 lbs in the next 3 days!....my weight is not going down like it should be with the amount I still need to lose....I swim 5 days a week and I am eating between 1300 and 1500 calories a day....I log all of my foods, I measure and weigh, and I don’t cheat....I need some ideas to help me lose more weight!...I am making myself crazy with this...I know I get too much sodium some days but I take a fluid pill a couple of times a week for excess fluid retention...there has got to be something I am doing or not doing to make me plateau for weeks at a time....I am really getting frustrated and when I don’t see progress, I am more apt to go on a huge binge....doing my best to avoid this....HELP!
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    My plan was to be at 250 by Nov 1.... the reality is I am not going to make it unless I lose 3 lbs in the next 3 days!....my weight is not going down like it should be with the amount I still need to lose....I swim 5 days a week and I am eating between 1300 and 1500 calories a day....I log all of my foods, I measure and weigh, and I don’t cheat....I need some ideas to help me lose more weight!...I am making myself crazy with this...I know I get too much sodium some days but I take a fluid pill a couple of times a week for excess fluid retention...there has got to be something I am doing or not doing to make me plateau for weeks at a time....I am really getting frustrated and when I don’t see progress, I am more apt to go on a huge binge....doing my best to avoid this....HELP!

Hi Connie! I hear you, the scale not moving is frustrating, but you are doing SOOOOOO good. You are down so much and all that swimming is doing more than just dropping pounds (cause it WILL catch up). Googled some benefits for you...

Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
    keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
    builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
    helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
    tones muscles and builds strength
    provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.

The weight WILL come off. Stick with your plan, its a solid one. It will happen and is happening.

• conniewilkins56
    alisampm wrote: »

Hi Connie! I hear you, the scale not moving is frustrating, but you are doing SOOOOOO good. You are down so much and all that swimming is doing more than just dropping pounds (cause it WILL catch up). Googled some benefits for you...

Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
    keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
    builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
    helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
    tones muscles and builds strength
    provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.

The weight WILL come off. Stick with your plan, its a solid one. It will happen and is happening.

Thanks!....it is nice to be reminded of all of the benefits of regular exercise and yes, I have lost 97 lbs and yes, I am 69 and the weight comes off slower BUT at this rate I will be dead before I get under 200 lbs!....I am so happy to see younger people getting the message to lose the extra weight now....they do not realize how much of life they are missing...I am fortunate that my extra pounds did not keep me from doing a lot until I got older and the damage to my body finally caught up with me...

I check your logging, etc. regularly and you are doing such a good job....I am so happy for you!...keep up the great work!...your body will thank you as you get older!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I can't help you with a plan that involves a specific scale weight by a specific date unless it is medically necessary. That is setting yourself up for anxiety and could lead to potentially unhelpful decisions. Milestones come when they come. They are often sluggish because we get ourselves worked up over them which increases water retention.

Plateaus for weeks at a time have been my constant companion for the last 180 pounds. I once waited 7 weeks. I do not even want to know how long I have been waiting this time to see onederland but it feels longer than 7 weeks.

Most likely you have lost 100 pounds. Weight loss happens daily. It just doesn't show up on the scale that way. Try to have faith in the process and believe that each day you are in a deficit you have made progress without needing to see it. It will show up eventually. It always does.

Remember that weight loss is something that you need to allow to happen. When you try and force it you just get in your own way.

• alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    [/quote]
    I check your logging, etc. regularly and you are doing such a good job....I am so happy for you!...keep up the great work!...your body will thank you as you get older![/quote]

Thanks so much Connie, it really helps me to have your support!

• conniewilkins56
    I had planned on a diet break the last two weeks of this year but I am reconsidering that idea....I am afraid it will only invite trouble!....I think the first two weeks of the new year might be better....maybe I shouldn’t take one at all.....do three and four day binges count as a break?...I don’t think so....once I go off plan I have a really hard time controlling what I eat....I know eventually we need to learn how to eat at maintenance level....I have taken 2 two week breaks in 18 months and I have had a half dozen serious binges....both of my breaks started out ok and then I overate a lot for a few days and then ate maintenance part of the two weeks...I really want to do two weeks at maintenance only and I don’t think this is going to work right now....what do you think?....what would you do?....I am thinking wait on the break and accept I will binge a few days during the holidays...but maybe knowing I will binge is giving myself permission to binge....I am so confused lol
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    I had planned on a diet break the last two weeks of this year but I am reconsidering that idea....I am afraid it will only invite trouble!....I think the first two weeks of the new year might be better....maybe I shouldn’t take one at all.....do three and four day binges count as a break?...I don’t think so....once I go off plan I have a really hard time controlling what I eat....I know eventually we need to learn how to eat at maintenance level....I have taken 2 two week breaks in 18 months and I have had a half dozen serious binges....both of my breaks started out ok and then I overate a lot for a few days and then ate maintenance part of the two weeks...I really want to do two weeks at maintenance only and I don’t think this is going to work right now....what do you think?....what would you do?....I am thinking wait on the break and accept I will binge a few days during the holidays...but maybe knowing I will binge is giving myself permission to binge....I am so confused lol

That is so tough. On the one hand, the more breaks you do, the more you are practicing for maintenance. On the other hand, when you're on a roll, you want to keep going... But even if your previous breaks were hard or didn't go as planneed, you still came back to your plan, and that itself is a success!
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Connie I am a binger too. I have not yet had the success that you have attained so it feels strange giving advice but I really want to lol

I don’t think that you should say ok I’m not in deficit mode so it’s ok to binge. Know what I mean? I think the smart thing to do is to eat at maintenance and log log log.

Or maybe do zigzag like 2 days maintence one day deficit etc.

It’s just my opinion and I might be wrong. Just trying to be helpful
  • conniewilkins56
    Thanks to both of you for the advice!....yes, I came back to MFP because one way or the other I am determined to keep losing weight!... and that is success to just keep going!...

I would really like to do a break right and eat at maintenance for two weeks but that is only about 2100 calories a day...As a fellow binge eater, 2100 calories ain’t nuthin!

I have a doctors appointment next Thursday...I had blood work done this past Tues...I plan on talking to my doctor about this, too...he has lost a lot of weight on MFP and he banks calories for the holidays....maybe I should start banking now and have about 20,000 calories to eat lol....( probably not a great idea )....

Right now I am thinking about getting thru the holidays with maybe one or two FREE days and then doing my break after the first of the year and really stay at maintenance without cheating or going over....I need to think this thru....

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...maybe no break is a better idea!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,594 Member
    Right now I am thinking about getting thru the holidays with maybe one or two FREE days and then doing my break after the first of the year and really stay at maintenance without cheating or going over....I need to think this thru....

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...maybe no break is a better idea!

I like this idea - the holidays bring so many opportunities to binge - it is probably a dangerous time to try eating at maintenance for a few weeks. This is the route I'm taking too. There are 2 days that will be very tricky - and I will try to track but not hold myself to anything.

Learning to eat at maintenance is so important, yet I found it much harder than eating at my old high deficit which was close to your total calories - in the 1200 to 1400 range. It makes sense to do that two week break (which I absolutely agree with - it did me the world of good in early November) when you'll have a better chance at doing it successfully!
  • conniewilkins56
    I am liking the idea of sticking to my regular plan ( maybe change to 1.5. lb a week from 2.0 lb ) and having a couple of treat days for some milk and cookies!...cookies are my weakness and if I do this a couple of days, I will be so sick I won’t be able to eat much for a few days!....SMH ....and then after the first of the year do a two week maintenance break and stay at maintenance calories....I really want to do a successful maintenance break because I want to get this last 50 or 60 lbs off this next year if possible!...I plan on upping my exercise and concentrate on some activities besides playing on my I- pad!...