Getting rid of skinny fat syndrome

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

You look lean but with not much muscle mass. I’m not sure we all share the same definition of skinny fat. Perhaps it would help if OP posted a picture of himself, if he wants to.

He looks thin with not much muscle mass. I wouldn't call that lean at all. When I was in the military and had a BMI of 20 but looked like an anatomical model of skeletal muscle with all the fat and skin ripped off... that is thin and lean... lean = "ripped". ;)

He looks like his bf % in that photo is at least 20% and I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. He may not meet the medical definition of medically obese normal-weight (25% or greater) but it's really hard to tell as you wear that weight much differently when you are MONW. A number of years ago before I got fed up and started lifting seriously, I was "skinny fat" and did meet the definition of MONW as I had a normal BMI but was probably 30% body fat.

Thanks for the response. I posted that old picture to try and show that's its possible to be at a quite low weight and still have a quite high bf%
  • giancarlov1191
    In July this year I was only a few pounds less but I wager a much lower bf%. I wouldn't call myself skinny fat here, but I did in the first picture emicucek0qvd.jpg
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2019

You look lean but with not much muscle mass. I’m not sure we all share the same definition of skinny fat. Perhaps it would help if OP posted a picture of himself, if he wants to.

He looks thin with not much muscle mass. I wouldn't call that lean at all. When I was in the military and had a BMI of 20 but looked like an anatomical model of skeletal muscle with all the fat and skin ripped off... that is thin and lean... lean = "ripped". ;)

He looks like his bf % in that photo is at least 20% and I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. He may not meet the medical definition of medically obese normal-weight (25% or greater) but it's really hard to tell as you wear that weight much differently when you are MONW. A number of years ago before I got fed up and started lifting seriously, I was "skinny fat" and did meet the definition of MONW as I had a normal BMI but was probably 30% body fat.

Thanks for the response. I posted that old picture to try and show that's its possible to be at a quite low weight and still have a quite high bf%

It was a perfect illustration (and kept me from having to post mine ;) ). You look much leaner/muscular in the pic above... it's a very noticeable difference.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited December 2019

It was a perfect illustration (and kept me from having to post mine ;) ). You look much leaner/muscular in the pic above... it's a very noticeable difference.

Agreed.

Photo #1 is skinny fat and #2 is not. I look like photo #2, just not that thin/skinny.

• jhawkins16
    jhawkins16 Posts: 29 Member
    tjd2126xpkhf.jpeg
    vw4drpt7wd8l.jpeg

• jhawkins16
    These were my 142 days...I’ll have to get a more recent. I’m around 150 now. Excuse the serious face I know I liked dorky I had just got for a run before that photo
  • jhawkins16
    I used the in-body machine at a local cross fit place. I know it isn’t as accurate as a DEXA.
  • jhawkins16
    2xm4hkr14px1.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Sure-fire cure for being "skinny fat:"
    Put on 50 pounds!
  • jhawkins16
    That was back during the summer. Add 8 pounds. I’ll post a recent one tomorrow after my run.
  • giancarlov1191
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Agreed.

Photo #1 is skinny fat and #2 is not. I look like photo #2, just not that thin/skinny.

Yeah I was 139lbs here (5'8), at the end of a 6 month cut. I'm deep into a clean bulk now, up about 15lbs.
  • giancarlov1191
    jhawkins16 wrote: »
    That was back during the summer. Add 8 pounds. I’ll post a recent one tomorrow after my run.

Well here, your bf% looks a lot less than mine was, and you clearly have muscle in your back, chest, and arms, so if you decided to focus on putting on mass, you wouldn't be starting from zero.
  • jhawkins16
    I think I have experienced what is known as body recomp since then in a bad way. Looking back I was eating a low amount of calories (2,000 a day) so my carbs were very low. Once I added carbs back into my diet I bounced up to 155. I’m at 150 (148 fasted after a run) now. I was 137 pounds fasted at the time. Then again I think I may suffer from a form of body dysphoria from constantly gaining and losing weight again. Once I post tomorrow be honest, as I really can’t trust my own opinion on what’s lean. I’m good with “ok” for now as I know I can get back to that as my race times improve. I didn’t mean for this thread to blow up I was just venting at the time. I’ll be training for some half marathons in March and April after my 5k training plan so more mileage means more calories burned and more room to eat without consequences.
  • jhawkins16
    Thank you all for the response and advice!!!! I appreciate this community.
  • giancarlov1191
    jhawkins16 wrote: »
    I think I have experienced what is known as body recomp since then in a bad way. Looking back I was eating a low amount of calories (2,000 a day) so my carbs were very low. Once I added carbs back into my diet I bounced up to 155. I’m at 150 (148 fasted after a run) now. I was 137 pounds fasted at the time. Then again I think I may suffer from a form of body dysphoria from constantly gaining and losing weight again. Once I post tomorrow be honest, as I really can’t trust my own opinion on what’s lean. I’m good with “ok” for now as I know I can get back to that as my race times improve. I didn’t mean for this thread to blow up I was just venting at the time. I’ll be training for some half marathons in March and April after my 5k training plan so more mileage means more calories burned and more room to eat without consequences.

It's brought up some great discussion that I can actually relate to, so thanks for posting!
  • OP this thread has been really useful for me. I am not always sure when people say ‘skinny fat’ what that actually looks like. I know it means normal bmi with a higher body fat percentage but one sees the term bandied about a lot here and without visuals I was not clear what people were talking about.
  • jhawkins16 wrote: »

Your comments about body dysmorphia and ‘more mileage meaning more calories burned and more room to eat more without consequences’ worry me a bit. It doesn’t suggest a healthy balanced relationship with eating to me. It may be worth exploring this issue further with a professional. Just a suggestion.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I wouldn't say you're skinny fat at all. You might find that adding some weight training gives you more of what you're looking for.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I wouldn't say you're skinny fat at all. You might find that adding some weight training gives you more of what you're looking for.

Agreed. Based on your picture, you look lean and fit. If you wanted to lift and eat a little more, you would see some gains in muscle mass. You look fine.

My bigger concern is your mentality and outlook. It seems like you've got a couple of things going on that are not the most healthy. First, based on how you describe yourself vs. your picture, It seems like there is some body dysmorphia happening. You are not seeing yourself accurately. Second, your relationship with food seems troublesome.

You may want to consider some counseling to address these things. You are fit and healthy. You should feel some satisfaction about that instead of constant dissatisfaction about some element of your body and eating.