feel like i'm gaining, but...

i feel like i've been gaining weight recently - not even stagnating, but gaining. i feel like my thighs, stomach, everything looks bigger. but my grandparents, sister, and mom have been saying recently i look like i'm losing weight (even "wasting away"). one of my friends has been very insistent that i've lost a lot of weight recently. my mom said i was too skinny today. a friend asked if i'd been dieting and said i looked thinner today. with so many people making so many comments, it seems like i SHOULD be losing weight, but i just feel like i'm gaining 10 pounds a week.

Replies

• madis0nliz
    madis0nliz Posts: 36 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Are you weighing yourself? That will give you an answer.

i've been pretty consistently in the 142-147 range for 4 years now, with today being 142.4
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    madis0nliz wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Are you weighing yourself? That will give you an answer.

i've been pretty consistently in the 142-147 range for 4 years now, with today being 142.4

In that case you know you are not gaining. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I would encourage you to analyze what is making your feel like this. For me, I know I always “feel” like I’m gaining when I am not as active as usual. Exercise reduces stress and boosts my mood, and when I miss a workout I feel sluggish. This can translate in my brain as I feel fat. I also have learned to recognize that it is irrational to let those feelings overrule. Instead I now stop and acknowledge to myself how I feel, allow myself to feel it and consciencely let it go. My scale tells me if I’m gaining or losing, not my feelings. I also remind myself of the reasons besides weight loss for my workouts, and make them a priority to I can head off those negative feelings before they even start. Knowing what is driving your feelings will help you identify a solution for handling them that works for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Your feelings are not the best way to assess weight loss and fitness. The scale and a tape measure are good basic tools to start with. 🤗
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Sounds like you're not gaining. Are you working out less, near that time of month, or bloated? If I eat more cruciferous veg and beans the fiber (and gas) boats me and I feel fat. I second what Panda said, I feel better about myself when working out plus it distresses me each day. Is part of it fear of gaining back the weight you've lost?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    How have your overall health habits been? I find if I'm not eating nutrient-dense foods and exercising, sometimes I feel like I'm gaining, even if my actual calorie count has been in check and I shouldn't be gaining.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if these thoughts are continued/prolonged - you might consider talking to someone because it could be early signs of disordered eating
  • madis0nliz
    little update - went to the doctor's in november, was 144. my doctor said that was a good weight for me and to try to maintain around there. went back on tuesday bc i had strep, and my doctor said i have lost weight - too much, too fast. they think it might be diabetes, so now i'm getting tested for that and have to go for a follow-up in about a month. praying it's not diabetes, just a couple pounds disappearing.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    little update - went to the doctor's in november, was 144. my doctor said that was a good weight for me and to try to maintain around there. went back on tuesday bc i had strep, and my doctor said i have lost weight - too much, too fast. they think it might be diabetes, so now i'm getting tested for that and have to go for a follow-up in about a month. praying it's not diabetes, just a couple pounds disappearing.

It is not hard to understand why you lose weight if you had strep. Did they check your fasted glucose and A1C?
  • madis0nliz
    NovusDies wrote: »

It is not hard to understand why you lose weight if you had strep. Did they check your fasted glucose and A1C?

i assume they're gonna check those when i go back bc they just asked for a urine sample. they're also gonna see if i've gained the weight back at my follow-up since i (probably) won't be sick anymore at that point.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

i assume they're gonna check those when i go back bc they just asked for a urine sample. they're also gonna see if i've gained the weight back at my follow-up since i (probably) won't be sick anymore at that point.

Why would they be talking diabetes at all if they haven't checked your blood work yet? When you said a follow up test I thought you meant a glucose tolerance test. I find this odd but maybe there is something I don't know.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    I would take pictures of myself, do weekly measurements and weigh ins and this way, you can do a comparison. Question how is your daily food regiment and exercise routine? Well at the end of the day, as long as you feel good about yourself it really doesn't matter what other people think or say. Family are often are worst critics lol.
  • tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    Unless your xompeting or doing something that requires you to meet a specific weight limit, dont focus on weight. As long as you are healthy, feel good, and getting physically stronger then most likely you are gaining weight due to muscle gain but trimming the fat percentage. Keep getting after it!