bump
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    Good discussion. I got one now
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    mikebxb wrote: »

Nice! It's always fun to see what people learn about their way of eating, if you're willing to share what you learned using a food scale.
  • quiksylver296
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    mikebxb wrote: »

Nice! It's always fun to see what people learn about their way of eating, if you're willing to share what you learned using a food scale.

Unless you are doing keto. When on keto, calories, scales, science does not matter. ;)

You forgot to use your sarcasm font.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    I bought a scale years ago the first go-round with weight loss, and it's still in the cabinet, but I've never used it. I estimate portions but try to estimate high, so if I'm a little off I don't go over my target for the day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    If whatever you are doing is working for you - ie you are losing, maintaining, gaining as desired - then keep doing it.

Of course it also isn't a dichotomy of a) use a scale for everything or b) don't use a scale at all.

Many people, including me, use it for some things and guesstimate/ average/ accept packet readings for others.

Trick isn't to decide which of the 2 approaches a) or b) you want to use - it is to find the happy medium that works for you.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    For a long time I had been using a spring scale. I learned the utter folly of that when I switched to digital. Food scales are key to every, calories, portion contols and food budget. Yes, as I use less of things I buy, they are lasting longer as I don't need to replace as often.
  • Jassaph
    Jassaph Posts: 44 Member
    I've been hearing of using digital scale, but i have an analog scale is that okay?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Jassaph wrote: »
    I've been hearing of using digital scale, but i have an analog scale is that okay?

Whatever works for you is ok.

A digital scale would be more accurate and easier to read and they are dirt cheap.

But if you have an analog one and are happy with it and your results are what you want - no problem.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member

I presume the analog scale uses a spring. That spring can stretch or compress over time and affect the accuracy of measurements. If you have a way to weigh some items of known weight to see how well it works, you may find it works just fine. If you are in the USA, a nickel weighs exactly five grams. Stack up a bunch of nickels and you can test your scale. Test it at many scales - 5g, 50g, 100g, 500g if you have a hundred nickels.

I think the biggest challenge with a spring scale are items that are calorie dense that you eat small masses of, like oil. For BIG things, like dry rice, the small inaccuracy may be hidden in the bigger number. That's what testing with various weights can help assess.

I had a spring scale someone gave me. It was terribly inaccurate. I bought a cheap digital scale, and I love it. The spring scale went to a second hand shop. Digital scales use pressure transducers to determine mass. They don't fail the same way a spring does.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I love food scales. Even when I'm not counting calories (e.g., baking, weighing flour, etc). So much more precise than measuring cups!
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    During my weight loss phase I eat two cups of vegetables for lunch and dinner (along with protein and fruit). I eat a salad with vegetables, but got tried of using measuring cups. So I measured out the vegetables I wanted (my standard said fixings) and then weighed them in grams. I recorded all this. Now I cut up all my vegetables and have them available. When I fix a salad I put the bowl on the scale and add vegetables as needed. I also measure creamer and salad dressing on the scale in grams. I think weighing in general is more accurate than measuring cups. Consistency is key.
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • quiksylver296
    Bump

But my diary is "bang on" bc I scan the barcodes LOL <---- obv. sarcasm :D

Yep, that's the reason for the bump.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Bump

But my diary is "bang on" bc I scan the barcodes LOL <---- obv. sarcasm :D

Yep, that's the reason for the bump.

I have problems with having to scan barcodes... lol
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited January 2020

When I tired of my spring loaded analog scale, I realized just how in-accurate my weights were when I started using a digital especially when, with the one I have I can zero it with push of a button and have choices of unit measures oz, grams, ml, pounds. A digital would not be a waste of your money and most are not expensive.