Maintaining lower weight

beulah81
beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
edited November 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
There are a few threads on maintaining at higher weight being easier. Are there any of you that find that maintaining on the lower end of your goal similar to maintaining at 5 to 10 lbs higher weight? Are your hunger levels higher at the lower end or about the same? Maintenance takes vigilance but when I look purely at numbers it takes about 30-50 calories less per day to maintain at the lower end. Just wanted to hear what your experience has been.

Replies

• beulah81 wrote: »
    There are a few threads on maintaining at higher weight being easier. Are there any of you that find that maintaining on the lower end of your goal similar to maintaining at 5 to 10 lbs higher weight? Are your hunger levels higher at the lower end or about the same? Maintenance takes vigilance but when I look purely at numbers it takes about 30-50 calories less per day to maintain at the lower end. Just wanted to hear what your experience has been.

I read elsewhere about the difference only being 30 to 50 cals. My lowest weight as an adult was 130 pounds and was when I was walking about an awful lot during the day. I stuck at that weight for 2 years then graduated and became more sedentary got into a relationship and ate more. Gained around 30 pounds. It was the massive change in output and intake that piled the weight on. I don’t remember finding 130 that hard to maintain at the time. I had no clue what I was eating calorie wise , it was 25 years ago. No internet let alone mfp!
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I was aiming for 54kg and maintaining at that weight, but for the last three months I seem to have been hanging around the 54.5 - 55.5 kg mark, which is fine by me. If I wanted to drop down to 54 and maintain at 54, I think my 'diet face' would look even more gaunt than it does.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    Dropped wt from 196 over the past 4 yrs, first to 160 and then to 150.

Of course, there is variation and while I can easily regain and put wt back on up to 155-160, if I don't carefully monitor what I eat, I can't seem 2 get below 147 and find myself currently maintaining bet 148-152.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2019
    I seem to have points my body sits at. I saw it coming down. I see it going up. I can sit at 150, 165, 175. It's hard to maintain under 150. But it was pretty easy for me to maintain 150-155 as long as I was walking every day. Stop walking and I go to 165 and just sit there. Same calories.

I'm 5'10" so 150-155 is the weight I was as a slim college grad. I'm now 60.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    I am so thankful to each one of you for sharing your experiences!
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’ve asked this same question myself with no real answer. I’m 5-7 and maintain pretty effortlessly at 145-150 on 2000 calls. But when I drop to UGW (130-135) I find it impossible. The calculators say it’s maybe 80 cals less a day. I have no idea why, but it’s simply not true in my case. I need to stay at 1700 to maintain at a lower weight. For whatever reason (mental or physical) I’ve been unable to do it.

That's me! Totally
  • EmilyEnough
    EmilyEnough Posts: 67 Member
    The first 1-2 years after losing say, 15-20lbs or more, the body may feel it has been ambushed by weight loss, and it really wants to put the weight back on. Weight fluctuation of 2-4 lb (shorter, smaller folks) or even up to 5-10 (taller and heavier peeps) is normal esp considering water retention (monthly cycle for the ladies, and sodium intake or exercise being possible variables) but after two years the metabolic rate, hormones, and other body chemistry should start to adjust making it a bit easier to adhere to the lost weight.

Hang on! Lean and clean protein answers a lot of the struggle with hunger and maintenance.