Has anyone had success with creatine?

Just wondering if there is anyone who has seen significant increase in muscle mass due to taking creatine?
J

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    As mentioned in the above posts, creatine can be a beneficial part of a muscle growth rourine, but it is not going to be the main driver of it. You won't see "significant muscle mass gains" FROM creatine alone. It may help, but the other things you do, like your lifts and protein intake and sleep will play a bigger role.
  • joshdoucette84
    joshdoucette84 Posts: 12 Member
    Yes
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Tried it my first year of lifting (going on 3 years now) and did not like the almost immediate increase in size and strength that comes from the supplement....just didn't seem right. I'm into more "organic" progress.
  • I took it for a year. I felt it made no difference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    I took it for a year. I felt it made no difference.

I've tried it also without experiencing anything. Some people are not responders. Also, if you get plenty of it in you diet through protein sources, supplementation may not help.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    I noticed strength improvements.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    jswigart wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is anyone who has seen significant increase in muscle mass due to taking creatine?
    J

I noticed nothing at all also, have taken it on and off for like 6 years. Some people are "non responders" though so... and there is no way to tell if you are or aren't.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Creatine may induce saturation of muscle fibers with water. This is sometimes misunderstood as added muscle.

Those who are respond to creatine suppliments can increase their volume very slightly at the same exertion if they were not to take the supplement. In other words, they might be able to squeeze a extra rep out in a set than if they didn't take the sup.

Hypertrophy is accomplished by adequate volume, appropriate intensity, reasonable recovery with adequate calories/protein/leucine.

Creatine with a good cocktail of everything needed to result in hypertrophy is more than likely to be beneficial than not.

Creatine monohydrate is worth the investment if you are resistant training.

Too add on this. As long as you aren't buying a flavored version or some "special" version of creatine, it is super cheap. 60 servings for $8. If you wanted flavored, expect to pay double or more. I mix mine with my pre-workout since its flavored.

https://www.amazon.com/BPI-Sports-Micronized-Creatine-Unflavored/dp/B01N0LPDBE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3UQ24WEIOBI3B&keywords=bpi+creatine&qid=1578058936&sprefix=bpi+crea,aps,159&sr=8-6
  • jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    When I tried creatine, many years ago, I would awaken in the middle of the night with pain in the tibialis anterior compartment. It wasn't to bad, but my daily dose wasn't very high. You can search for 'compartment syndrome creatine' for info.
  • dgirgatraining
    dgirgatraining Posts: 2 Member
    It helped me look better due to retaining water. But your endurance and overall energy will increase, since creatine is converted into atp.
  • dgirgatraining
    dgirgatraining Posts: 2 Member
    Or I should say it helps to produce more atp.
  • i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    I feel it’s really helped me improve my lifting and add strength.
  • BuiltByRhondy
    BuiltByRhondy Posts: 1 Member
    Great supplement, I’ve been taking it for more than five years now. It’s definite must have.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2020
    Tried it my first year of lifting (going on 3 years now) and did not like the almost immediate increase in size and strength that comes from the supplement....just didn't seem right. I'm into more "organic" progress.

Curious to the disagreement of simply sharing my distaste for how this product functions....."disagree" was lit up? Not everyone is an advocate for these sort of "enhancements". I've also seen in a few cases of this ultimately becoming a "gateway supplement" for some due to the products effects. I don't speak for all, or the majority, so please don't take that out of context.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

Curious to the disagreement of simply sharing my distaste for how this product functions....."disagree" was lit up? Not everyone is an advocate for these sort of "enhancements". I've also seen in a few cases of this ultimately becoming a "gateway supplement" for some due to the products effects. I don't speak for all, or the majority, so please don't take that out of context.

9u028ckkkwid.png
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    I have found creatine but it is Magnesium Creatine Chelate with Dicreatine Malate instead of Creatine Monohydrate.

It is more expensive than Monohydrate but it is excellent if you have GI issues or if you are concerned with the bloating effect that some report from creatine.