Starting again - please help

Hi,

I am 180lbs. I’ve gained back everything I lost this year, basically as soon as I stopped restricting to 1200 a day I gained and gained. I feel as though unless I’m constantly starving, I just keep gaining. I don’t seem to be able to eat normally.

I don’t know what to do and I would really like some support. I’m 5 foot 4 and I don’t exercise - I can do light yoga but that doesn’t burn any calories really, and I have disabilities which Make working out difficult.

Any help appreciated. I struggle with binge eating when I am stressed.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    :( How were you logging your 1200 calories each day? Were you measuring and eyeballing, or using a scale?

On the exercise - can you walk? If so, walking is FANTASTIC exercise, but if you're not inclined to do purposeful exercise, it's totally possible to lose and maintain weight without it.

I wish you luck!
  • glammom222
    glammom222 Posts: 1 Member
    You can lose the weight! Exercise is really a plus. Extra. However, what you put in your body will change everything. Cut carbs and sugar! Loads of green veggies. No processed meats. Red meat only once a week (if you must have it). Chicken and fish only. Learn to only eat a dinner with a meat and vegetables. Stop bread intake. Exercise while sitting. Move your legs and arms. You can do it! I'm praying for you.
  • LaurenMontieth
    LaurenMontieth Posts: 2 Member
    Hi goatelope,

I hear you! Do you have a support network among your friends / family / community? Do you have a lot of general stress in your life? Do you have things in your daily life that make you happy and fulfilled and keep you engaged, or is food (the presence or absence of it, thinking about it, trying to control it, etc.) the main way for you to keep yourself occupied? How does your disability impact your general quality of life? These are all very relevant questions for you to consider.

Let me know if you'd like to talk further. I'm here for you!
    Lauren
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    You can make lower calorie food fun and tasty. That may be a goal for you.. since you are smaller you get fewer calories. I suggest you go to skinny taste.com. I love her recipes. Make your food delicious and you don't even feel like you're dieting. Tonight I made a spicy chicken marsala with rice and spinach that tasted as good as the double fried Thai noodles I have ordered in the past.

Also.. I don't know what your physical limitations are..but I bet there is some kind of pleasant exercise you can figure out with the help of a trainer. You can do this!!! you can. :)
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    You can make lower calorie food fun and tasty. That may be a goal for you.. since you are smaller you get fewer calories. I suggest you go to skinny taste.com. I love her recipes. Make your food delicious and you don't even feel like you're dieting. Tonight I made a spicy chicken marsala with rice and spinach that tasted as good as the double fried Thai noodles I have ordered in the past.

Also.. I don't know what your physical limitations are..but I bet there is some kind of pleasant exercise you can figure out with the help of a trainer. You can do this!!! you can. :)

Great! I will look it up - thanks
  • goatelope
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    :( How were you logging your 1200 calories each day? Were you measuring and eyeballing, or using a scale?

On the exercise - can you walk? If so, walking is FANTASTIC exercise, but if you're not inclined to do purposeful exercise, it's totally possible to lose and maintain weight without it.

I wish you luck!

When I was logging, I weighed and logged everything like you are supposed to. I lost. It’s when I don’t obsessive count and log that I gain.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    You didn’t answer the question about using a food scale. Do you? Do you think calorie counting is obsessive by its nature?
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    To me it is worth my health to weigh, measure, and track macros to maintain or lose weight. I'm not sure what is obsessive? I find watching carbs, sugar/salt intake, and eating good fats helps. If you can walk even a little bit each day (not sure what your limitations are), this can help with staying active. Any little bit will help. Most of all...stay positive and develop a plan that works for you.
  • goatelope
    88olds wrote: »
    You didn’t answer the question about using a food scale. Do you? Do you think calorie counting is obsessive by its nature?

In and of itself it is just that: counting. But for me to weigh and measure everything means that I spend a lot of time trying to work out what’s in things I’ve cooked, which is time consuming, and also it does leave me anxious. So yes for me it can get obsessive.