Kitchen Safe

Options
Has anyone tried a kitchen safe such as this one? I can imagine it might be helpful for those times when I'm really struggling with a tempting food and just need some time and distance from it, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually uses it...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9J3MLM

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I haven’t used it and in fact didn’t know such a thing existed. I would first try putting the cookies in a non-clear container and keeping it in the cupboard, out of sight. Or not buying the cookies to begin with! If you fell this could help, just check the suzerainty to make sure it will hold the things you want to hide.
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I actually do one of the things @lorrpb mentions, and just don't buy it. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it. I've had some success analyzing what it is about certain foods that I want, and try to find substitutes. For instance, when I wanted chips, I'd sub it for homemade cheese crisps for that crunchy texture I wanted without the carbs I was avoiding. For a juice sub, I've been drinking flavored. seltzer water instead. Stuff like that.

But that's me, and everyone is different. Also, it looks like a fun thing to have! If you think it'll work for you, it's worth a try.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't buy that stuff because I know there will be times when my will is weak and I'll make poor choices. But my boyfriend who I live with likes to have it around and I don't want to deprive him of that. He generally keeps it in a treats cabinet - unless he forgets - but let's face it I still know it's there and some days when I'm stressed or tried or whatever I find myself tempted and sometimes end up overeating it.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I would suggest one with a combo lock instead. The one you linked will lock you and your boyfriend out for a set time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I would suggest one with a combo lock instead. The one you linked will lock you and your boyfriend out for a set time.

I think the time lock is the ingenious part. You can undo a combo lock anytime. Unless only BF has the combo and doesn’t tell and doesn’t help. That’s putting a lot on BF.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think you and your boyfriend are going to be out a $50 once you take a hammer to one. Your boyfriend can’t limit his choices at work? Or store them at work instead of your home?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have kids and a husband that like to have treats in the house. If I don’t buy it, my husband will go to the store and buy it in quadruple quantities. So I’ve taken to buying “acceptable substitutes” for myself. Individual cookie packs are already measured in calorie counts that fit my goals. Frozen yogurt that I serve myself in a small coffee cup instead of a large bowl. Caramel mini rice cakes for a crunchy treat. It’s easier to say no to the higher calorie treats when I know I have foods that I enjoy that also fit my goals.

When I’m really craving something I try to take a short walk and really think about which treat I want to splurge on and how it fits my goals. Then I try to sit down and slowly eat the treat and enjoy it.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I think that would work great for me until binge-mode set in, at which point I'd be taking a crowbar or bowie knife to that thing or slamming it on my front stoop, and then I'd be out $50.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The Mrs has got one as I’m about to enter prep and she knows nothing is safe the fridge 😂