How would you like your doctor/GP/family physician to help you lose weight?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    I think PCPs can’t win in this situation. Either they mention the weight as a possible cause for issues and are told they are focusing on the wrong thing, or they don’t mention it and they are not helping.

I can understand why they either get stuck in the loop of blaming everything on weight or just ignoring it.

I never even had a doctor MENTION my weight, though.

I'm one of these people who got up to a size 18 and thought I didn't look that bad and that I was healthy.

Someone needed to sit me down...
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    I’m not saying there aren’t more than 2 options, but it seems like doctors generally come down to one of the two approaches, or they are perceived to. And that I can understand why they do.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have never had a doctor mention my weight to me. I mentioned it one time to a neurologist (we were trying to figure out why I have syncope). I said something like, “I know I’m overweight,” and he literally told me that my weight was fine. Now I was literally on the low end of obese by the BMI chart, and he literally gave me a hand sweeping motion while brushing off my comment. I expected more of a “yeah, it would be a good idea to get to a more normal weight,” but that never came.

Granted my weight doesn’t cause me any health issues. I have low blood pressure (which causes the syncope) and weight doesn’t affect that at all. I remember that vividly bc that was the day I paid $45 to be told “to eat more salt.” 😒🥴😑
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2019
    When I went to my previous physician and asked her about weight loss she questioned why, stating that I don’t look fat, despite the fact that I was 20 lbs overweight. When I asked for her advice, her suggestion was phentermine and a 1200 calorie diet.

Im a P.A. now and would never give that advice. Tbh, most patients get offended if you mention their excess weight as the probable cause of their disease or pain, no matter how nice and tactful you are. This is probably why so many probably don’t bother to address it. Tbh, most just want an immediate fix, a pill, etc. It is the minority of patients that actually are willing to make a lifestyle change.

If someone asks for my advice about weight loss, I will encourage them to change their diet, move more, and I suggest MFP to help them count calories. If they ask for my advice on what to eat for health, my advice will be different.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    In general I don't expect doctors to comment on weight loss unless a patient is obese and then gently. If there are health issues that can be resolved I think it's great to bring it up. For example when I was diagnosed as diabetic I was given medication and a meter, no dietitian or counseling covered by insurance. The majority of my older family members are diabetic including some who work out daily. I started losing for my health, I never thought I'd be able to go off medication with my family history but my A1C is down to 4.5 and I'm slightly hypoglycemic instead when I wake. I found what to eat and do from my own research and n=1. My doctor was happy for me and wanted to know what I'd done.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    My weight got to the point where I needed to be put on blood pressure meds. I hate having to remember to take pills. My GP is a second-generation Iranian guy who gives no *kitten* and told me flat out, "Lose the weight and you'll be able to get off the pills." He introduced me to MFP - I'm a numbers person and I was motivated. He gave me gentle encouragement and if I had questions he would point me toward an authoritative reference or email me something. I held up my end of the bargain, lost the weight, and he held up his. I've been off the pills for a year.

That’s excellent! It is so motivating and inspiring when patients make positive changes for their health!
  • FisherGT
    FisherGT Posts: 55 Member
    I have EDS and my doctor essentially told me "you're best shot for a healthy life is to get as light and as strong as possible. Do that however you want"