The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Last night, I was with my daughter at my parents house who are moderate drinkers. I watched my mom as she nursed a small glass of wine for hours. That would have been two gulps for me.
    I remember Craig Ferguson with his Christmas Story about his alcoholism.... he said on Christmas morning, the bartender who slept behind the bar all night, woke up and pour Craig a "Venti Sherry". The amount only another alcoholic would pour.

It was easy for me to stay AF yesterday because my parents had Perrier in a bottle and a wine glass at my spot at the table. So, I didn't want to disappoint and drank Perrier all night.

@stubbornloser That's why it is tough to break up with alcohol... he's been there on holidays, weddings, funerals, good times and bad ... I know you'll be OK today! It will feel so good to wake up on Dec. 26 with no hangover.
  • RubyRed427
    @whitpauly Congrats!! I'm really proud of you!! It is a beautiful gift to yourself not to be hungover, sick, embarrassed, shaky, anxious and all the rest. Keep that gift going!
  • RubyRed427
    Hi everyone and Merry Christmas....Even though I have some mild holiday blues going on, my mind is not telling me to reach for the bottle. That is my gift to myself this year.

The holiday blues are normal. Like I told my friend real life's not a Hallmark movie or commercial. It is messy and sad at times.
  • RubyRed427
    18 days sober now. Sobriety is going well as always. Lots of stressful things going on in my life but today has been free of the stress so far. I'm around all kinds of tempting junk food food ATM that will be in the house for awhile since I'm not eating it. My room mate will be the one eating it lol. Lucky for me there is no temptation since there is no point in doing anything to hinder my progress. Nothing really tastes good anymore except for the food which I know will help me reach my goals.

18 days is awesome!!! And today is 19! Take some time to meditate or walk in nature. Hopefully your stress will recede.
  • RubyRed427
    @lloydrt Merry Christmas to you. It's sad about your friend. And sadder that the daughter lost her mom. I think when you realize that drinking will kill you if you continue, there must be such a profound decision to stop.An awakening... I think anyone can stop but you need some kind of support group, family members who will help, and deep desire to take it one day at a time. I'm not saying this right, I feel for all of the people involved. xo
  • RubyRed427
    The counseling website is Betterhelp.com.
    I like talking to someone neutral and not a friend. I'll let you know how it works for me and if I like it.

I have been like a bear hibernating these past few days. I think without sun, my energy is zero. I plan on a little workout today. Wishing you peace~
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Ruby I've seen ads for those counselors, hope it's helpful for you 💗
  • RubyRed427
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Ruby I've seen ads for those counselors, hope it's helpful for you 💗

I'll let you know. I already had a response from a counselor. It is quite pricy. $55 / week. I will let you know if it serves me well. Hope you are well!! xo <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @RubyRed427 Good on you for not giving up...I've been successful giving up the drink (so far), but unfortunately it seems that food is my new alcohol so I absolutely get the struggle...I read about food struggles that a person has to be mentally and emotionally ready to succeed at long term management. I suppose that is true with any addiction/dependence. I hope that you find some solution for you through this counsellor and please share any "aha moments" with us <3

@Donimfp So happy you had a "weird" time at your Mom's LOL and hope you enjoyed your hangover-free walk.

@Whitpauly Hope you are on the mend!

Hello to ALL ... so glad that the holidays are over for my own reasons that I shall not share here, but I KNOW I am not alone in that relief <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    @aroze0928 YAY on the re-gift. Usually I get several bottles of wine from clients, but 2 who usually do know that I stopped drinking. I let them know a few months back when it came up and so that is a couple less temptations. I had my plan in place to re-gift any received...I still have next week's clients who may gift me wine, but I am not even bringing it in my house. I plan on putting it in my car & driving it to someone. Maybe I won't have to put my plan in action lol.... :D
  • lorrainequiche59
    @aroze0928 P.S.-sorry you are currently going through some marital "unbliss" Great expression btw!
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning All!
    Yes, @JenT304 Good plans for NYE! I am trying to lose twelve pounds I gained these past few months. I do think hormones have a lot to do with weight when you're in your 50s.

This morning is day 3, and I feel good! I didn't sleep well and woke with a headache, but I still feel good that it's not a hangover. Hooray!
    The NOMO app I downloaded is a little temperamental but I like it. It's probably similar to other ones you all have seen. I reconnected with a person I used to text for support (on the app), and he is nearly a year sober. I'm so happy for him. You can view your support partners sobriety clock.

Interesting story: My ex-mother-in law gave a gift to my sister this week. Now, my ex MIL has known my sister for 24 years and also has known her to be a non-drinker. Well, the ex MIL gave my sister a Christmas gift- it was a bottle of WINE! I was shocked. I told my sister I will take that if you don't want it. But my sister kept it.

Made me think of some of you on the thread who were getting bottles as gifts. IT made me reconsider my own gift giving. If you don't know for sure a person drinks, it's probably better to give chocolates not alcohol.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    @aroze0928 P.S.-sorry you are currently going through some marital "unbliss" Great expression btw!

Thank you lorraine
    @JenT304. Good insight. I like your plan. Too much pressure to say I want to lose 20 sets up for failure. Im going to go about it the same way and see what happens. Im not drinking but the food has been out of control.
    RubyRed its true and it just makes everything that much harder when someone gifts alcohol. But I like what Lorraine said leave it in the car and get rid of it. Not sure why I didn't do that. I think in my subconscious I was going to give it a go and sneak it to take the edge off my problems. Who knows.
  • RubyRed427
    aroze0928 wrote: »

Thank you lorraine
    @JenT304. Good insight. I like your plan. Too much pressure to say I want to lose 20 sets up for failure. Im going to go about it the same way and see what happens. Im not drinking but the food has been out of control.
    RubyRed its true and it just makes everything that much harder when someone gifts alcohol. But I like what Lorraine said leave it in the car and get rid of it. Not sure why I didn't do that. I think in my subconscious I was going to give it a go and sneak it to take the edge off my problems. Who knows.

When I offered to take my sister's bottle for her.... I was planning on drinking it! It was a natural reaction to seeing wine. I'm happy she kept it. I doubt she'll drink it but if she does, that's her issue. I have my own issues :)