Walking

tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,268 Member
Has anyone here had any real success with walking as your only means of exercise (of course combined with healthy eating)? I am interested to hear how you did it. How much and how often, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I walk about 5-6 days a week, generally 30-60 minutes. I'm actually not sure about my speed. Some is on my treadmill, some is outside. I have really crummy joints, ligaments and tendons, so most types of exercise risk injuries for me. I do a small amount of gentle yoga and easy strength training to supplement the walking.

I have lost almost 17 pounds since May and have about 3 more to go. I didn't have much to lose and I deliberately am going slow to preserve muscle.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    I have had success with "just walking." I walk about 4 miles outdoors most days. It takes me about an hour. I have lost almost 30 pounds since May.

I do also log and stay within my calorie goal most days - plus I definitely eat (or bank) those walking calories!

I haaaaate running but I recently started adding some because as I've lost weight, my walking wasn't burning as many calories, which was a total bummer. LOL. I will never be a runner, but we do a few 5K community events as a family and I've steadily improved my time over the last two years, so I'm fairly confident that "just walking" has had health/fitness benefits in addition to weight loss.
  • gwinhart17
    gwinhart17 Posts: 34 Member
    Ugh, sorry, that was a long post
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited December 2019
    Initially I started with 170 kg / 375 pounds on my back and couldn't walk that far. I had a medical check - up and a blood test done, joined MFP and bought a good quality pair of shoes which gave my feet / ankles maximum support. Eventually I managed to walk around the block which took me half an hour. Today, 635 days later I have lost 48 kg / 106 pounds and I am walking 4 to 5 times a week, up to 3 hours at a time. Thanks to MFP I can see how I am losing weight: about 85 to 90 % because of CICO and about 10 to 15 % because of walking. I am also going to the gym doing water aerobics once in a while - always a good work - out, but also incredibly relaxing and brilliant for all joints. There was a stage when leg (thigh) ligaments couldn't handle increased exercise and I had to see a physiotherapist a couple of times. I was given alternative exercise and started to use one of those large, blue Swiss balls as well. Walking also relaxes my mind, I feel less stressed and less anxious. It just might be the cheapest exercise available and it gives me a daily feed back about me fitness: how far, how long and in what time I can walk without hurting my bones / ligaments. My initial 30 minutes around the block takes me now about 10 minutes and my shoes are nearly worn out by now.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I’ve walking for about three years — making money from it: dog walking! I walk about a mile in 30 minutes, and I walk 5-7 walks a week. I got a few dog walking gigs that I credit with Keto influence (-28 pounds). Walking with gym saw the near -70 pounds and I’ve kept it off five years.

Shoes are the best investment. I was all about Nike’s, and then I got ASICS! *Mind blown*

Apparently, I have a thirst and pair it with Propel (kind of no-sugar Gatorade) so I don’t get any leg cramps (foot cramps more like) and water.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I took an aerobics class once a week but was also walking to work 2 to 3 days. As its the same route I can track progress and after a year I realised that I've shaved 10mins off my original starting time and I dont get out of breath on the little hilly bit.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited December 2019
    I started walking around 3-4 miles a day for the first 30 lbs of my weight loss.. . I remember being out of breath on this trail incline and having to rest for 10 minutes once I got to the top..... 90 lbs lighter and now I can sprint up that same incline. I mostly do spin bike and weight training for exercise now.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I have mentioned before: I have lost most of my weight with just walking and calorie counting.
    I started with walking to and from work (5k one way) once a week and progressed to 4-5 days a week . The distance was doable and in a worst case scenario I could take a bus or train home, though that would actually take more time.
    From thereon i took up long distance walking and hiking. It was not until I was nearly at my goal weight I started running (also bad knees) . I still love walking as much a I can. Now I do it because I just love being outside and feeling the wind on my face and how it balances my mind. But I never forget what it gave me; the fist steps to my freedom of movement I have now.
    These days my daily target is 10K steps I have been hitting my target for 640 days now. Still counting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed reading these walking posts! Very motivational and inspirational. I was afraid that walking wouldn't be enough but I have joint and knee pain so it's all I can do now. If any of ya'll want to friend a fellow walker, feel free to add me!

I have knee issues too and also like Asics, like the poster above. I make good footwear a priority, wear my Asics most of the time, and wear reasonably supportive shoes the rest of the time.

I started out just walking 15-20 minutes on relatively flat and now can do 3 miles, with hills, plus other forms of exercise.

My PT gave me these knee exercises. I incorporated them into my yoga warm-ups and do them regularly.

lzim6zxusavl.jpg