Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    I’m still amused that this garnered so much attention. My career was in the fitness business, so I paid attention to the company, but I didn’t think anyone else did.

I’m not used to my niche areas of interest receiving so much national attention. It was a bit of a shock that this blew up the way it did.

It’s like waking up and seeing a zydeco band playing a Friday concert on the Today show.

This is why I'm not sure it will ultimately be bad for them, but who knows. I knew about them, but I have several friends who hadn't, but were talking about the ad and parodies and so on, and the bike is now on their radar. I overheard numerous conversations about it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think it is instructive to go back to Peloton’s statement after the controversy erupted:

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey.“

And to quote Peloton CEO John Foley:

“Peloton is so much more than a fitness company—we believe we have the opportunity to create one of the most innovative global technology platforms of our time. It is an opportunity to create one of the most important and influential interactive media companies in the world; a media company that changes lives, inspires greatness, and unites people.”

Compared to that, the ad seems almost understated. :D

PS: Dude, it’s just an exercise bike.

That seems to be part of a current approach by various exercise-related companies, for example SoulCycle, OrangeTheory (from the website: "When I am working out at Orangetheory Fitness, I feel like a wonder woman, I feel like nothing can stop me. Orangetheory Fitness not just helped me to change my body, it changed my mind. Today I love and respect myself!"), good old CrossFit, even, back in the day, something like Curves, which my mom was into for a while.

Granted, that Peloton rhetoric takes it to a new level.

Probably symptomatic of the data showing Millennials eschewing religious affiliation and finding their sense of self and community in other arenas; notably through therapy or fitness. The industry is tapping into that desire for community and belonging. One could argue, the same way this platform does on a digital level.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I think it is instructive to go back to Peloton’s statement after the controversy erupted:

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey.“

“Peloton is so much more than a fitness company—we believe we have the opportunity to create one of the most innovative global technology platforms of our time. It is an opportunity to create one of the most important and influential interactive media companies in the world; a media company that changes lives, inspires greatness, and unites people.”

"BS the level of is high with this one." - Yoda
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

It's a bike with a computer. That's all. For me.. Used bike on Craigslist $40. Tablet from Costco $120. The ability to tell Peloton to suck it... Priceless 😜
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

At least it's not the Juicero.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Oh - how about the Mirror!

www.mirror.co

Some rather grandiose statements there too for a product that sure seems mighty close to a few things we might already have in the house.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    The Mirror is creepy. I think there should be a horror movie based on it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited December 2019
    hist_doc wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Peleton must die a slow death. Its ridiculously $$$$.
    Think about it. For that kind of cash you can have a nice road bike (that you can use outside weather permitting), a good smart trainer to bolt it onto, and a subscription to something like training peaks or zwift.

I own a Peloton bike. I love it. Does everything for me? It kind of reminds me of an Apple Iphone. Just works with no thinking behind it. Sure i can get a mountain bike and other things to make it just like a Peloton but nah. This just works.

As for the ad however, its a load of *kitten* for other reasons. Not everyone owns a *kitten* luxurious house like the one on every commercial of theirs. Plus most of their members are bunch of entitled whiny *kitten*. I love the bike but it just does what i need it to do. Provide cardio. thats it

me too! I bought mine in 2016 and paid under 2k for it. I don't know what the sticker price is now. I use it several times a week and now that they have the tread classes I am able to use the running classes (in addition to their strength training classes) as well on my own treadmill and while running outdoors (I don't own a tread). Just ran my second marathon and used Peloton's training program for it. Loved it.

@just_Tomek
    It was well worth the investment as I have two kids and manage a full-time career on top of that. I don't quite understand the constant criticism Peloton faces and why you say it must die a slow death because it's "ridiculously expensive"... I have friends who pay much more than $40 per month on their gym memberships that they barely use. I use my Peloton bike and/or app every day of the week because I work out every day. For me, the 2k was not expensive--it was well worth the investment and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It is all relative. Would you also say that all luxury car companies or even fancy road bikes (which range into the thousands as I understand it) should die a slow death? At what point do these items become too expensive for your taste?
    And for what it's worth, I don't wish to buy a "nice road bike." Outdoor cycling is much different than spin. I am not a road cyclist and don't wish to navigate busy roads and drivers who are on their phones. A dear friend of mine was killed on his bike and another was gravely injured and put in intensive care. No thank you.

Yes we definitely should all get locked up inside our house in fear that something might or might not happen. A dear friend of mine died on his couch in perfect health from a sudden heart attack. Another died playing soccer. My father was hospitalized for a year from being in a car crash. There is no point in arguing about this nonesense. Its life and life happens. When it happens to you just be sure you lived it to the fullest. And if for YOU this means inside your house on the peleton bike, which here costs $3000 and $50/m membership, then all the power to you.
    I will enjoy my outdoor bike rides on my overpriced road bike enjoying the smells of the woods and the scenery.

Did you read my post? I run marathons among other long distance races. I train outdoors most of the time.
    I am not locked up in my house. One doesn’t run 20 plus miles inside. I just choose not to cycle on the roads. It’s a choice. And frankly, it’s a smart one given that I’m not comfortable with it.

I disagree that "One doesn't run 20 plus miles inside." I do. I prefer the treadmill. Even for long runs, even while marathon training. If I'm going to ride a bicycle, though, I go outside.

To the original point: What bothered me about the commercial (and I had my eyes peeled for what might be offensive) was the "5 days in a row" comment. Rest days, guys! I think it might be irresponsible to suggest that not taking rest days is a good plan. Especially if the impression is that she is not already someone who exercises regularly. Especially with the "no pain, no gain" expectations, or the fitspo slogan "sweat is fat crying". I'm a little disappointed that in 11 pages, nobody else in this fitness community had any problem with that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Think about it. For that kind of cash you can have a nice road bike (that you can use outside weather permitting), a good smart trainer to bolt it onto, and a subscription to something like training peaks or zwift.

I own a Peloton bike. I love it. Does everything for me? It kind of reminds me of an Apple Iphone. Just works with no thinking behind it. Sure i can get a mountain bike and other things to make it just like a Peloton but nah. This just works.

As for the ad however, its a load of *kitten* for other reasons. Not everyone owns a *kitten* luxurious house like the one on every commercial of theirs. Plus most of their members are bunch of entitled whiny *kitten*. I love the bike but it just does what i need it to do. Provide cardio. thats it

me too! I bought mine in 2016 and paid under 2k for it. I don't know what the sticker price is now. I use it several times a week and now that they have the tread classes I am able to use the running classes (in addition to their strength training classes) as well on my own treadmill and while running outdoors (I don't own a tread). Just ran my second marathon and used Peloton's training program for it. Loved it.

@just_Tomek
    It was well worth the investment as I have two kids and manage a full-time career on top of that. I don't quite understand the constant criticism Peloton faces and why you say it must die a slow death because it's "ridiculously expensive"... I have friends who pay much more than $40 per month on their gym memberships that they barely use. I use my Peloton bike and/or app every day of the week because I work out every day. For me, the 2k was not expensive--it was well worth the investment and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It is all relative. Would you also say that all luxury car companies or even fancy road bikes (which range into the thousands as I understand it) should die a slow death? At what point do these items become too expensive for your taste?
    And for what it's worth, I don't wish to buy a "nice road bike." Outdoor cycling is much different than spin. I am not a road cyclist and don't wish to navigate busy roads and drivers who are on their phones. A dear friend of mine was killed on his bike and another was gravely injured and put in intensive care. No thank you.

Yes we definitely should all get locked up inside our house in fear that something might or might not happen. A dear friend of mine died on his couch in perfect health from a sudden heart attack. Another died playing soccer. My father was hospitalized for a year from being in a car crash. There is no point in arguing about this nonesense. Its life and life happens. When it happens to you just be sure you lived it to the fullest. And if for YOU this means inside your house on the peleton bike, which here costs $3000 and $50/m membership, then all the power to you.
    I will enjoy my outdoor bike rides on my overpriced road bike enjoying the smells of the woods and the scenery.

Did you read my post? I run marathons among other long distance races. I train outdoors most of the time.
    I am not locked up in my house. One doesn’t run 20 plus miles inside. I just choose not to cycle on the roads. It’s a choice. And frankly, it’s a smart one given that I’m not comfortable with it.

I disagree that "One doesn't run 20 plus miles inside." I do. I prefer the treadmill. Even for long runs, even while marathon training. If I'm going to ride a bicycle, though, I go outside.

To the original point: What bothered me about the commercial (and I had my eyes peeled for what might be offensive) was the "5 days in a row" comment. Rest days, guys! I think it might be irresponsible to suggest that not taking rest days is a good plan. Especially if the impression is that she is not already someone who exercises regularly. Especially with the "no pain, no gain" expectations, or the fitspo slogan "sweat is fat crying". I'm a little disappointed that in 11 pages, nobody else in this fitness community had any problem with that.

There are different ways of taking “rest days” — it doesn’t have to mean taking a day off. And cycling is a non-impact exercise, so doing 5 days in a row—especially for someone trying to establish a routine—is not that big a deal.

Only speaking for myself, but that’s why I didn’t have a problem with it.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    @Azdak Thank you. I do appreciate your explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I know that recovery days are totally a thing, too. I don't think the newbies necessarily know, though - and I'm not really in favor of perpetuating the idea that it's healthy to push too hard, too often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

@just_Tomek

I'm an avid cycling and mountain biking enthusiast. Cycling is pretty low impact and most Peloton workouts are 30-60 minutes...I don't really think that's going too hard unless someone is really out of shape. I could cycle daily with 30-60 minutes. Training is different...when I was actively training for endurance events, rest days were important in that the mileage and duration of my rides could be 2-3-4 hours long easily and was also doing other conditioning things like hill repeats...but even a rest/recovery day could easily consist of an easy 30 minute spin, but I typically opted for yoga or just going for a walk.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

When life imitates art ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

• Theoldguy1
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️

So because I disliked the ad, I have a limited understanding of fitness? I would love to hear how you jumped to that conclusion because its ridiculous. I disliked the ad, not because her husband gave her fitness equipment for Christmas, but because it was poorly done in a lot of ways. As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, she talks about how life changing this bike is, yet its not exactly clear what benefits she receives from it. Its also odd to me just how anxious she is in the beginning for her first ride. The worst thing about the ad in my opinion is that the Christmas gift she gives her husband the following year is a video about how much she enjoyed her previous years gift. I feel like he kind of got screwed on this years gift especially after buying her such a life changing gift the previous year. Nothing about the ad had me outraged, however I do think it was stupid, and I don't believe its toxic to ridicule an ad that is probably deserving of some ridicule. Its great you liked it, but there is no need to insult others who didn't. The ad clearly spoke to you in a different way than it did others. That is what advertising is designed to do.

To be honest, given our litigious attitude here in the US i doubt Peleron could really make any claims on specific benefits and went with the "life changing" as a safe way out.
  • Theoldguy1
    Not specifically Peleton, but it didn't take long for Planet Fitness to mock the "bike of shame":

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZGcf/planet-fitness-bike-of-shame-10-a-month
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited December 2019
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    The point of advertisement isn't to be in tune with the culture and blandly polite, the point of advertisment is to get people to talk about the product and repeatedly drop the brand name all over the place both in conversation and online post so people who have never heard of the company then hear about the company. The more eyes they get on their product the more likely they are to make sales which is what they care about.

I'd say that this is a pretty fabulous advertisement because two days ago I'd never heard of this company and now I hear about them a lot and I know that they make an exercise bike. Question is did they just stumble on it or was this actually crafted to elicit this response intentionally.

Considering their stock lost something like 1.5 billion dollars in three days it probably wasn’t intentional. It’s not true that all publicity is good publicity.

just because their stock temporarily dropped doesn't indicate whether it was intentional or not. Companies make bad moves all the time.

Also just because their stock temporarily dropped doesn't mean it was a bad move in the long run.