If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Replies

• imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Gin.... Okay so it's a liquid but still I wish it was calorie free 😂
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Weird craving for a dutch baby....

dutch-baby-pancake-thumb-1-500x500.jpg

That looks delicious..
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I ate more of these than I planned.

cqppjcgsl3kn.jpg

Happy New Year!

What are these, is there something inside?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    Bruschetta sounds really good right now.
    v2xv8i9mu67y.jpeg

Maybe with some tappanade!
  • mtaratoot

That looks delicious..

cqppjcgsl3kn.jpg

Happy New Year!

It's cornbread. What's inside is goodness. It's a tradition in parts of the USA to have cornbread for New Year's. It's supposed to be lucky. Some say the gold color attracts wealth. Black-eyed peas are also lucky - they are said to represent coins. Collard greens - that's the cash money.

Sometimes I add fresh/frozen corn. I used to add cheddar; usually not anymore. This time I kept it simple with some hot chilies. It's not a sweet version; I make mine with the tiniest amount of sugar. I also use very little whet flour, and it's 100% stone ground whole wheat. The rest of the ingredients are a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. The liquid is buttermilk. I have two corn stick pans and one "corn bread" pan - all cast iron. This makes for lots of crust on every piece, and I put butter all over the top about five minutes before they are done to crisp them up. Preheat the pans and put some butter in right before adding the batter - it sears and gets crispy. It's one of my most-requested foods, but I only really make it a few times per year. Great for potlucks and, of course, wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR. The batch I took out last night all got eaten pretty quickly. I had some left, and I took them to work... but I decided not to share. Yeah. They're tasty.
  • mtaratoot
    Gin.... Okay so it's a liquid but still I wish it was calorie free 😂

They make a calorie-free version. It's called "Tap water."
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

That looks delicious..

cqppjcgsl3kn.jpg

Happy New Year!

It's cornbread. What's inside is goodness. It's a tradition in parts of the USA to have cornbread for New Year's. It's supposed to be lucky. Some say the gold color attracts wealth. Black-eyed peas are also lucky - they are said to represent coins. Collard greens - that's the cash money.

Sometimes I add fresh/frozen corn. I used to add cheddar; usually not anymore. This time I kept it simple with some hot chilies. It's not a sweet version; I make mine with the tiniest amount of sugar. I also use very little whet flour, and it's 100% stone ground whole wheat. The rest of the ingredients are a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. The liquid is buttermilk. I have two corn stick pans and one "corn bread" pan - all cast iron. This makes for lots of crust on every piece, and I put butter all over the top about five minutes before they are done to crisp them up. Preheat the pans and put some butter in right before adding the batter - it sears and gets crispy. It's one of my most-requested foods, but I only really make it a few times per year. Great for potlucks and, of course, wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR. The batch I took out last night all got eaten pretty quickly. I had some left, and I took them to work... but I decided not to share. Yeah. They're tasty.

I think I'd really like these 🙂
  • ThisTimeNoWine
    ThisTimeNoWine Posts: 9 Member
    I would so be dashing out of the office to grab a bag.
  • mtaratoot

That looks delicious..

cqppjcgsl3kn.jpg

Happy New Year!

Sometimes I add fresh/frozen corn. I used to add cheddar; usually not anymore. This time I kept it simple with some hot chilies. It's not a sweet version; I make mine with the tiniest amount of sugar. I also use very little whet flour, and it's 100% stone ground whole wheat. The rest of the ingredients are a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. The liquid is buttermilk. I have two corn stick pans and one "corn bread" pan - all cast iron. This makes for lots of crust on every piece, and I put butter all over the top about five minutes before they are done to crisp them up. Preheat the pans and put some butter in right before adding the batter - it sears and gets crispy. It's one of my most-requested foods, but I only really make it a few times per year. Great for potlucks and, of course, wishing every one a HAPPY NEW YEAR. The batch I took out last night all got eaten pretty quickly. I had some left, and I took them to work... but I decided not to share. Yeah. They're tasty.

It would be unusual if you didn't. I'm happy to share my recipe. Main thing is CAST IRON. and the corn stick pans are the bomb. I prefer them to the triangles, but... they both make me smile on my face and in my tummy. Not sweet, and with a nice tooth. Not at all like cake or bread, but.... I better go get some more buttermilk......
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

That looks delicious..

cqppjcgsl3kn.jpg

Happy New Year!

Sometimes I add fresh/frozen corn. I used to add cheddar; usually not anymore. This time I kept it simple with some hot chilies. It's not a sweet version; I make mine with the tiniest amount of sugar. I also use very little whet flour, and it's 100% stone ground whole wheat. The rest of the ingredients are a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. The liquid is buttermilk. I have two corn stick pans and one "corn bread" pan - all cast iron. This makes for lots of crust on every piece, and I put butter all over the top about five minutes before they are done to crisp them up. Preheat the pans and put some butter in right before adding the batter - it sears and gets crispy. It's one of my most-requested foods, but I only really make it a few times per year. Great for potlucks and, of course, wishing every one a HAPPY NEW YEAR. The batch I took out last night all got eaten pretty quickly. I had some left, and I took them to work... but I decided not to share. Yeah. They're tasty.

It would be unusual if you didn't. I'm happy to share my recipe. Main thing is CAST IRON. and the corn stick pans are the bomb. I prefer them to the triangles, but... they both make me smile on my face and in my tummy. Not sweet, and with a nice tooth. Not at all like cake or bread, but.... I better go get some more buttermilk......

They sound amazing! I got package mixes to use with my new scone pan, I bet your recipe would come out great in it!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    edited January 2020
    I had to laugh at how this thread slowed down over Christmas and just started having posts again, I think we've been enjoying "no calories '! Well, I have one Christmas celebration left so here I've been back on track and Saturday is a large family Christmas. Just found out my mom is making Suberage, an Armenian dish. It's sheets of buttered philo dough with cheese and parsley in between the layers (you brush melted brown butter every 3 sheets). It's so good,I usually save calories for things like my aunt's truffles but am looking forward to both!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Fresh, warm chips and fresh, spicy salsa - if I could stop at a few I'd be good, but never happens.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    busyPK wrote: »
    Fresh, warm chips and fresh, spicy salsa - if I could stop at a few I'd be good, but never happens.

@busyPK thank you for inspiring my dinner plans tonight. HA :D
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member

Please eat plenty in my honor :D
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Please eat plenty in my honor :D

I'll take one for the team haha
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    bu32n3k7qyon.jpeg
    e99ijoahj6tc.jpeg
    Craving pizza and Mac and cheese again

OH HELL YES!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Can I just have one taste of everything? Just one? I promise I can stop at one. :wink: