New to this, any advice is welcome

Hello, so I just had my second child in July and after the holidays I’ve really noticed how unhappy I currently am with my weight. I want to feel healthier. I don’t want to go on some crazy diet, I want to have a lifestyle change because I always give up on the extreme diets. I’m so ready to feel better about myself.
Anyone else just starting this journey? Any tips—or what are you guys doing to make it last?

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    All the tips I could possibly provide have been said much better than I could phrase them.

https://physiqonomics.com/8-ideas/
  • Tiffanyjo89
    Tiffanyjo89 Posts: 8 Member
    Awesome, thank you! 🙂
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Log even if it is ugly, and water, water, water. Also, be active with friends on MFP.
  • Tiffanyjo89
    Yeah, I need to get better about water. It’s definitely one of my downfalls.
  • digitalgasim
    digitalgasim Posts: 4 Member
    Anything is possible and achievable but all I can say is break it down in to smaller components. Try not to set unrealistic goals and you will knock it out the ball park.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Take steps within reason, and work on them until they become habits. Something as simple as replacing a calorie dense snack with a piece of fruit or similar is a start. For the most part, knowing what does and doesn't make you feel full is also a key part of losing or maintaining weight.

The crazy diets and extremes are just that IMHO, crazy. Moderation is key, and most people can find things they enjoy for both diet and exercise without going to extremes.
  • Tiffanyjo89
    Thanks for the advice! I’m one day in, but I am feeling confident I can do better this round. 🙂 My goal is mainly portion control and just in general a little healthier options. I agree that the extreme diets are crazy.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Thanks for the advice! I’m one day in, but I am feeling confident I can do better this round. 🙂 My goal is mainly portion control and just in general a little healthier options. I agree that the extreme diets are crazy.

If you are a volume eater like many are, the portion control is key. When I'm really trying to cut weight I'll intentionally start a meal with extra volume of the low calorie stuff such as veggies and/or salad, etc. Then when I get to the calorie dense stuff my hunger cues are already lessened.

I never weighed food, but it's helpful for many. I do enough cooking to be reasonably accurate with food portions vs weight, and just made a point to never "cheat" and just skip things when I logged food.

And for me, after a few weeks of logging your foods, you have a good enough reminder of what they are "worth" in terms of calories vs enjoyment vs nutrition vs controlling hunger, etc. At that point I would just make an effort to think of which foods were the most "worth" eating to meet my calorie goals.
  • Ruben_244
    Ruben_244 Posts: 257 Member
    What’s helped me has been weighing my food along with meal prepped services. I just find it so much convenient and keep it simple. Like you said no neee to do drastic diets it’s a lifestyle the results will come.
  • Tiffanyjo89
    That’s a good idea! I think once I get in the habit it will become more natural. I just have to get through these first few weeks.