Onslaught of New Gym Members

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Where I'm at it's not the noobies it's the damn trainers that set people up in front of dumbbell/kettlebell racks, on the prowler track, etc.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Where I'm at it's not the noobies it's the damn trainers that set people up in front of dumbbell/kettlebell racks, on the prowler track, etc.

Oh yes to this! Soooooo frustrating!!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Does go to a new location count as a "newbie"? I want to do a spin class. However, my gym no longer has the 6:30pm time. The Saturday time doesn't work as that's when I do my long runs and Sunday is my rest day.

I'm looking at going to a location near my work that has a 5:30 class on Tuesdays. I'll get there in plenty of time. I'm off work at 4:30 and it only takes about 15 minutes to get there. Lots of time to do a pre-spin class warm up!

Though I mostly go for the BodyPump (and hope to start going for spin) class. I run in the great outdoors. The dreadmill is an option when the days might be to bad to get outside to run. I do start my half-marathon training in 3 weeks!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    I find it hard in the classes as no room but I know come end Jan it’s as it was before
  • Shawnbb72
    Shawnbb72 Posts: 13 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jazzy550 wrote: »
    I am getting anxiety thinking about all of the new people at the gym. It's already crowded. Does anyone else have issues working out in crowded gyms?

I just saw this thread.

I also hate working out in a crowded gym, so I hate this time of year (in addition to newbies there are more people who work out indoors due to weather).

One issue is that because so many people join at the beginning of Jan and don't stay, the gym's basic model is likely to be based on an assumption of fewer members (but subsidized, remember, by the newbies).

For me this has 0 to do with whether someone is a newbie or not -- I don't dislike newbies, I dislike crowds. Outside of a few people who often exercise at the same time as me, and of course the trainers I see around, how am I to know who is new, who is just back inside due to weather, or who is just someone I haven't noticed before?

That I dislike crowds is something that makes me more reluctant to go to the gym in January (although it was relatively empty today and likely will be tomorrow), but it doesn't cause me to be unfriendly to anyone. (If someone made an effort to encourage me and make me feel welcome when new, btw, I'd be super embarassed and feel like I must have been obviously not knowing what I was doing -- this is mainstream gym, not something like CrossFit where the model is different.) I think complaining about crowds is totally fine.

If anything, I tend to go out of my way to avoid times I think might be crowded, and end up at the time I thought would be dead and be mad (at myself, at the world) that apparently that's when all the trainers work out, so the weights area is crowded.

I totally agree.
    I just recently started going to the gym before work at 5:30am. It’s much quieter then. I was having trouble getting to the gym. I really didn’t like going after work because I was tired and really didn’t want to work around all the people there at that time. Now that I have been going this early, I find that I have far more motivation to go.
    I went to the gym yesterday around noon, because I was off and had things to do in the morning. The gym was absolutely crazy busy. The experience totally reaffirmed my decision to go so early in the morning.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited January 2020
    Things are so different here in Oaxaca Mexico where I live. There were no more people at the gym yesterday than there were pretty much any other day I've gone. In the U.S. people keep to themselves. Here, culturally, people are more social and interactive. Several hellos, a hug or 2 and at least a few hand slap/ fist bump (this is the Mexican guy thing, you slap hands and bump fists. It's the universal guy greeting). At first it took a little getting used to, but now it's pretty pleasant.

I don't think the whole "new years resolution" is a thing culturally. I'll have to ask some of my amigos.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    The gym at work is maybe slightly busier than usual, maybe an extra person or two. It helps to be a night-shifter, particularly when I go in to workout at 3 in the morning on a day off - I can pretend it's my own personal gym. :lol: Hopefully it doesn't get busier, as there's only one shower....
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2020
    mmapags wrote: »
    Things are so different here in Oaxaca Mexico where I live. There were no more people at the gym yesterday than there were pretty much any other day I've gone. In the U.S. people keep to themselves. Here, culturally, people are more social and interactive. Several hellos, a hug or 2 and at least a few hand slap/ fist bump (this is the Mexican guy thing, you slap hands and bump fists. It's the universal guy greeting). At first it took a little getting used to, but now it's pretty pleasant.

I don't think the whole "new years resolution" is a thing culturally. I'll have to ask some of my amigos.

This is definitely not just a thing that happens in Mexico (or Oaxaca). There are situations that I've been in in the US where that's a common way for men to greet each other.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

This is definitely not just a thing that happens in Mexico (or Oaxaca). There are situations that I've been in in the US where that's a common way for men to greet each other.

I'm sure you are right but it is pretty ingrained here and other places I've visited in Mexico. Very much a guy cultural thing.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 169 Member
    I agree with the person talking about the crowds that show up. I tend to notixw that in the beginning of the year, there's longer waits for the equipment, a d often, they break down a lot more. Not to mention the lack of consideration (not regulars or newbies specific) to not clean up the equipment afterwards, including leaving Kleenex in the cup holders. So besides the crowds, the germs and broken equipment come as well.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 169 Member
    But this time of year also means great deals on workout clothes and equipment.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    I have to use the creche at the gym so I can go (have a 2 and 4 year old). I go to the gym on a Monday and friday and you can book the creche 8 days in advance which I do. Called last Sunday for tomorrow and hour after bookings had opened and couldn't get in. Thursday I called again am hour and a bit after bookings opened, could only get 1 hour instead of 2. Today I am ready to call as soon as it opens!
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2020
    kirstyfoy wrote: »
    I have to use the creche at the gym so I can go (have a 2 and 4 year old). I go to the gym on a Monday and friday and you can book the creche 8 days in advance which I do. Called last Sunday for tomorrow and hour after bookings had opened and couldn't get in. Thursday I called again am hour and a bit after bookings opened, could only get 1 hour instead of 2. Today I am ready to call as soon as it opens!

What is a crèche? Daycare?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    Noticing that most of the people who seem to be bothered by newbies enjoy feeling superior.
    I don't see that at all. They're mostly complaining about bad behavior, and you don't have to feel superior in order to do that. Heck, Planet Fitness bases its entire business model around criticizing what they perceive to be bad behavior.
    I say this with no judgement since I’m kind of competitive ....
    Well, can we agree that it takes a certain amount of judgment to judge that someone else enjoys feeling superior? I'm not saying that such judgment is wrong, but let's face it... it is ultimately a matter of judging what other people are doing, and that's not wrong.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    lalabank wrote: »
    Noticing that most of the people who seem to be bothered by newbies enjoy feeling superior.
    I don't see that at all. They're mostly complaining about bad behavior, and you don't have to feel superior in order to do that. Heck, Planet Fitness bases its entire business model around criticizing what they perceive to be bad behavior.
    I say this with no judgement since I’m kind of competitive ....
    Well, can we agree that it takes a certain amount of judgment to judge that someone else enjoys feeling superior? I'm not saying that such judgment is wrong, but let's face it... it is ultimately a matter of judging what other people are doing, and that's not wrong.

Yup, my complaint about people in general, not just newbies, would be the behaviour. If they don’t want people judging their behaviour then:

1. Clean up the equipment you use. Spray it down, wipe it, puts all plates and dumbbells back where they belong.
    2. Don’t block equipment you are not actively using. Stand in front of, rest on, use as a table for your water bottle and sweater, or set up a huge circuit and refuse to let someone work in, etc
    3. If you need help ask, but don’t expect other gym goers to become your trainer or to be happy about someone suddenly talking their ear off when they are just trying to get in and out.

I have seen so much of number 1 and 2 from regulars and trainers at my little gym and it sucks. Memberships stay low priced if we can clean up after ourselves, and members stay happier when using the gym is easy.