Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Soda Court Ruling

pinuplove
pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
Not really a debate, but knowing how divisive opinions on diet soda can be, dropping this here:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/expecting-weight-loss-drinking-diet-soda-unreasonable-federal/story?id=68031037
Having "diet" on soft drinks doesn't mean you will lose weight, a court ruled.

It's good to see common sense isn't completely dead.

Replies

• pinuplove
    kimny72 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    There go my plans to sue over Thin Mints...

. . . and my promising Wheat Thins law suit.

And that *kitten* Skinny Cow.

Ya know, I weighed the pros and cons first. I mean, I'll be skinny, but I'll be a cow. Now i feel dumb.

If I'm going to be a cow, I'd better at least be a skinny one!

(Their ice cream sandwiches actually weren't bad, as I recall. This was long before the influx of alternative ice cream choices we have now. Back in my WW days.)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    This story cracked me up.

I'd like to say it's just a play for money and that nobody could be so dumb as to think that simply drinking diet soda burns calories . . . but man, we've got some dumb people in this country.

This lawsuit ties into the correlational studies that diet soda drinking doesn't lead to weight loss. But well controlled studies indicate that lack of weight loss has nothing to do with any disruption to metabolism and everything to do with behavioral changes that overcompensate the calories lost from the diet drink with extra calories from food.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Yoo meen I'va been wazting my time drinking all dese skinny magaritas!?!?
    Well of allllll the son of a gunnn....zzzzzzz.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2020
    <removed - not appropriate in hindsight>
  • pinuplove
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Good grief, it's like suing McDs for having hot coffee.

You could claim the hot coffee didn't make you hotter than you already are.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited January 2020
    Yoo meen I'va been wazting my time drinking all dese skinny magaritas!?!?
    Well of allllll the son of a gunnn....zzzzzzz.

But I bet you love us! (at least until the margaritas wear off)
  • pinuplove
    edited January 2020
    MikePTY wrote: »

Despite it's folk lore status, the McDonald's coffee case was actually legit.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-mcdonalds-coffee-case_b_14002362

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

I actually read about that a while back. Her injuries were horrifying. I mean there's hot, and then there's HOT. I didn't immediately connect Nutty's comment to that case.
  • nutmegoreo
    MikePTY wrote: »

Despite it's folk lore status, the McDonald's coffee case was actually legit.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-mcdonalds-coffee-case_b_14002362

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

TLDR: McDonald's was producing coffee at far higher temperature than one would normally consume coffee, knew for a decade of hundreds of reports of serious burns from their coffee, and didn't make any effort to either mitigate it or inform the public. The coffee was hot enough to scald human flesh and the woman who got burned nearly died from her injuries.

Thank you for this. I have only heard bits about the case, and not actually looked it up. That's horrifying.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Loving your optimism!
    :smiley:
  • pinuplove
    sijomial wrote: »

Loving your optimism!
    :smiley:

I am a right little ray of sunshine!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    It’s sad that a case like this even went to court in the first place.
    Reminds me of the guy back several years ago who ate fast food for every meal and then sued Burger King, McDonalds, and Wendy’s after his third heart attack. He claimed the fast food places didn’t do an adequate job of letting people know their food isn’t healthy.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    So the Thinsters cookies are out too. And they even promised no fake anything in them. All good food like real sugar, real butter, no preservatives and so on. Very tasty. but I never not even for a nano second thought gee if I eat these they will help with weight loss.
    The article about the diet soda, incredible...