How often do you weigh yourself?

I was weighing in once a week. Just curious if people who weigh-in more frequently feel it is helpful? Just don’t want to become obsessed with my weight, but wonder if daily weigh-ins could motivate me more in my weight loss?

Replies

• MissusC68
    MissusC68 Posts: 5 Member
    I weigh myself once a week.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    or it could frustrate you if you let it. When I was obese, and was losing pretty fast , it did give me that extra push of motivation. Now that I am approaching my ultimate goal weight, every few days or week is fine.

However, there is something that I will continue to do every day from here on out ,as long as I'm able bodied , that is count calories and weigh everything I eat on a food scale.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    I’ve been using MFP for five years and maintained my loss, thanks to daily exercise and the App. I weigh daily to keep my head in the game - when weight creeps back on, I start to log my food and return ASAP to a better place.
    Terytha wrote: »
    Every day. It helps me normalize fluctuations in my head, so I don't get freaked out when I see an increase in weight since I see them all the time.

I agree with this, too. I personally have an emotional tendency to become a slave to the scale, which is horrible and quite stupid of me, since I know better. So, seeing daily fluctuations helps me understand my body, weight and intellectually process those environmental influences.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I weigh daily and track my weight with the trending app called Libra. For me, weighing daily has helped me better understand weight fluctuations, and now I don't worry as much about the volitility in my weigh ins.

But it's not for everyone. You don't go down in weight every day, so if seeing yourself jump up a couple of pounds on the scale is going to cause you to be stressed and upset, it's probably better to stick with weekly.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I weigh every day, and enter the info into an app called Happy Scale. It really helps me see a gradual downward trend in my weight loss. I've learned not to freak out if I've gained 1 or 2 pounds, I just keep on the MFP program and those pounds are lost within a couple days. It's water weight, or too much salt the day before, or just one of those things.
  • AdamAussie34
    AdamAussie34 Posts: 168 Member
    Every day starting 2020
  • AdamAussie34
    AdamAussie34 Posts: 168 Member
    Important to weigh in at the same time each day
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    I weigh everyday. I just finished an eight month weigh loss study and lost 50 lbs. my weight fluctuates but on average I lost 1.5 lbs a week. Once I got use to the up and down it was fine. It helps me enjoy my life, have days where I splurge on calories but then come back to reality again. I also log all my food, even if I’m not exact.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I weigh myself every time I go to the gym- so, 6 days a week. M-F it’s around 6am, after I consume a lot of liquids (smoothie, coffee, water). On Saturdays, it’s around 1pm. I consume those same things, but there’s a much wider gap (at least 3-4 hours) before I weigh myself. I put it into a weight-tracking app, which helps me get less frustrated when I’m up on a particular day. There can be quite a bit of fluctuation day to day- I weighed 138.2 yesterday and 134.4 today!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I weigh daily, or almost daily. In my experience, weighing daily reduces the chance of being obsessed about weight, not increases it. That's because you learn about fluctuations, salt effects etc.

However, some people suffer from scale anxiety, and I'd suggest that those people don't weigh daily. If you feel anxious when you are about to step on the scale, then I don't believe that weighing daily will help.

If you accurately track your food intake, you could theoretically go months without weighing yourself. But any time you eat foods which aren't in your database, or are unweighed, you risk gaining.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Every day. It helps me normalize fluctuations in my head, so I don't get freaked out when I see an increase in weight since I see them all the time.

This, all the way.

Also, in maintenance I find that it really keeps me on track.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Every day, the same as logging meals to give me a chance to make corrections after cheating.
    Then use weekly average to gauge changes.
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    I have a FitTrack scale, it measures 17 metrics including BF%, BMI, Muscle Mass etc. I use those numbers to trend my progress not as absolutes. I weigh/measure daily first thing in the morning and it updates to MFP via Apple Health. I don't really pay attention to my weight except in 1 week intervals to trend if I'm dropping.
  • Cherbydoo
    Cherbydoo Posts: 3 Member
    Such helpful feedback! Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your insights. I’m going to weigh in every day from now on to help me be more aware of what’s happening with my body. You guys are great!
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    When I’m losing weight I weigh myself twice a day. When I’m gaining weight once a week.
  • pkeye
    pkeye Posts: 11 Member
    Every day for me, keeps me focused and honest. I was a member of WW (weight watchers) for many years and weighing weekly provoked too much anxiety on my part, worrying all week if I lost any weight. Daily is just a part of my morning routine now, great way to start the day!! Good luck, MFP app works!