the best exercise

hannahmarierobinson
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
what do you guys find shifts the most pounds at the gym, i have just started and want to loose weight and tone up and haven't got a clue on what to do to get results, any help?

Replies

• what do you guys find shifts the most pounds at the gym, i have just started and want to loose weight and tone up and haven't got a clue on what to do to get results, any help?
  • In my opinion the treadmill is what works best at the gym to lose weight; especially for girls I think. When I go to the gym I like to do 30 minutes on the treadmill and let me tell you, afterwards you can just feel the pounds dripping off of you. Doing this a couple of times a week with some other cardio would be awesome for you.

By cardio I mean some pilates, some dance class, or just some other non-strength training work out.
  • abrown323
    abrown323 Posts: 22 Member
    I agree with idaliabelaly but, to make it really count, I would add some strength training before hand., especially if you are working out in the afternoon or after work. The strength training will burn of any carbs that you still have left that you body hasn't already burnt off to use as energy and then you can workout on the treadmill for a full 30 minutes to burn nothing but fat from your body. You have to remember to eat HEATHY CARBS throughout the day in order for this to work. Plus the more lean muscle you add to your body the more fat it will burn while just sitting around. If you are working out early in the morning do some treadmill workouts for 30 minutes before you eat anything for breakfast. Since you haven't eaten anything all night (Normally about 12 hours) then your body has no choice but to use your stored fat for energy. If you must eat something before your workout in the morning I suggest a fruit smoothie (With frozen fruit and fat free yogurt) or a sugar free carnation instant breakfast drink with fat free milk. (It really does taste good)

Some good treadmill fat burning workouts that I do are: 3mph for 3 min....5mph for 5 minutes.....3mph for 1 min....6 mph for 3 mins....3mph for 1 min....and keep adjusting as fast as your body will let you without going overboard. If you can't go that fast yet, which I couldn't do at one point in time, then just make sure that you speed up for 3 minutes and then slow down for 1 minute. This keeps your body guessing and gives your metabolism a boost and makes your body tap into your stored fat faster. This kind of workout will also keep your metabolism boosted for 1-2 hours afterwards to keep your body burning fat.

Good luck!
  • Hi, something I was taught by a trainer is to rotate between the treadmill and the rowing machine. Turn on the treadmill to a feasible level and add an incline that is suitable. Set your time for 1-3 minutes - jog or fast walk for 1-3 minutes then leave the treadmill running and row on the machine for the exact same time period (1-3 minutes). Go back to the treadmill and then to the rowing machine. Keep alternating back and forth between the machines. This is wonderful if you have the machines side by side. Two things to note - very important - be careful to get off the treadmill cautiously by placing your feet each to one side and using the handrails appropriately. Your disembarking from the machines is up to you - so only do this if you are agile and have the ability to get off at this point. Otherwise, turn off the machine and restart each time you alternate. Most gyms are not too pleased about getting off a treadmill when it is running. However, it keeps the flow going and you can keep up your rhythm. As you get really good, you can do this for 7 minutes each etc. Do this 7 times and increase as you are capable. As you get tired or if it seems risky, turn off the treadmill before getting off. Turn back on when you get back on. It is very important that you monitor your balance and turn off machine if need be. This produces amazing results!! I love it!! Plus, you meet new friends because people ask you what you are doing.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    hi,

i have read that what you like best for cardio machines you should do. you need to do the strength training circuit so you are building muscle while you are losing fat. if you don't you will lose fat and muscle and that's not good. muscle at rest will burn fat too. once you have worked a program for 4 weeks, switch your programs so you don't plateau.
  • Okay, I have spoken to countless trainers, nutritionalist, and fitness experts. The one thing they all tell me is to do at least 30 to 45 min. of cardio 3-4 times a week with resistance training at least 2-3 times a week. The combonation will totally change your body. The cardio that I live by is spinning, or cycling. It's really intense, but it's fun at the same time. It has really toned my legs, and helped shed the pounds. So if you have any questions, let me know, I can tell you exactly what I've been doing to loose the weight. Hope this helps.

Mandakay
  • thanks guys, that has all been really helpful - what for example would you say the best type of resistance and strength training would be most effective?
  • any type of weights, whether it be free weights or machines in a gym. Start off low in weight, and high reps....like 3 sets of 15. That's what 've been doing. good luck!

Mandakay
  • deb_ge
    deb_ge Posts: 87 Member
    What about swimming...do you guys know if that is a good fat burner? I am doing weight training and treadmillm 3 times a week, but swimming 8 times! I LOVE the lovely rubbery feeling I have afterwards...HUGE endorphins akin to a runner's high. But sometimes I wonder about the fat burning aspect.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I also like to walk on the treadmill at a really high incline (8-9%) it is a great workout and helps to achieve some nice thighs and buns!

I bounce around on various machines all week when I am at the gym - easily bored with a routine. So, I use a lot of different machines, but the treadmill is my favorite.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Hi guys,

my wife is a certified body pump instructor and an official "gym rat" so you can imagine how bad I get it every time I mention anything to do with working out (I get a full on diatribe every time, not that I care, but it can be funny to watch some times). But I do pick up a lot of info in those brain dumps. So what I get (from my wife and her good friend......... the owner of the gym.) It doesn't matter what aerobic exercise you do, it matters what heart rate you keep up and for how long you do it. Now that being said, mentally and physically some exercises are easier for some of us then others. So some of you may see better results from running, and some from Tai Boe and some from swimming...etc.
    That being said, swimming gives you one of the best total body workouts with the least amount of stress on the body (less stress on joints and bones means you can go longer without causing harm).
This discussion has been closed.