I need a 4-5pm 'get home' meal that won’t push me over my calories, but will fill me.

I realise I just want to feel full, but if I eat a meal that early, I’ll snack all evening. I’m short so don’t have masses of calories available. I get home from work tired and hungry, collect the kids from the childminder and start making the evening tea. This is the time I can fail...

A 'handful of nuts' won’t cut it... I can think of scrambled eggs on toast, then run out of ideas...

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Half a protein bar? Maybe beef jerky or some cottage cheese/yogurt? I find i easily over indulge on carbs so my snacks are protein heavy
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    How many calories do you plan to use for this?
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Oatmeal with fruit, protein shake or soup
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I know the fleeing For me a piece of fruit will carry me over Usually an apple or some carrots
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    A banana and tea/coffee?
  • julebrus2020
    julebrus2020 Posts: 26 Member
    Eat a little less early in the day so you have more calories to spare?
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    An apple has been my saving grace lately. Other snacks I've done to tide me over: packs of cottage cheese, hard-boiled egg with string cheese, a protein bar (Built Bars have the least amount of calories and taste great to me). Also, chewing on gum can really help if I'm running low on calories and need an hour or so to kill before dinner. Good luck!
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Smoothie. I put spinach, half a banana, a mix of fresh orange juice and water, frozen fruit of some kind, pea protien powder and ground flax in mine. As I have a huge gap between lunch and dinner and this is very often my go too
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thank you for these ideas - they’re great.

I think about 200 - 250 calories would be fine (any less just doesn’t do it). I realise I’m also looking at 'mouth food' it’s about texture/ bulk as well as fuel. Plus when I start cooking, I need to have had something satisfying to keep me from snacking.

I love the sound of the chicken and mashed avocado etc (maybe with some added crunch), but would need to check the calories carefully. (ETA that raw cabbage would give the crunch! I was thinking of cooked).
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Half a protein bar? Maybe beef jerky or some cottage cheese/yogurt? I find i easily over indulge on carbs so my snacks are protein heavy

I’m definitely learning the importance of protein in snacks (nuts offer too much, with not enough bulk, so being careful with these).
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    For that "little hunger" in the afternoon I prefer a bowl of yoghurt with fresh fruit during summer months and a bowl of home made vegetable broth during winter months. Both are very much "at home" dishes, when out and about a boiled egg or a few slices of grilled chicken are easily packed.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Metamucil. It makes you feel full, gives you fiber, and doesn’t add a lot of calories.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Vegetable soup, like split pea or plain vegetable. I like the Amy's soup brands. One cup of most = about 100 calories. Easy to heat, no other cooking involved.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I make at least one batch of veg soup every week for exactly this kind of thing.

It fills a hole, low calorie, easy to re heat, and an additional serving of veg. If I'm out and about an apple does the same job.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Storm985 wrote: »
    Thank you for these ideas - they’re great.

I think about 200 - 250 calories would be fine (any less just doesn’t do it). I realise I’m also looking at 'mouth food' it’s about texture/ bulk as well as fuel. Plus when I start cooking, I need to have had something satisfying to keep me from snacking.

I love the sound of the chicken and mashed avocado etc (maybe with some added crunch), but would need to check the calories carefully. (ETA that raw cabbage would give the crunch! I was thinking of cooked).

I'm also big on texture and volume for satiety and a "handful of nuts" is only going to make me want to eat more. Since you have 200+ calories for your snacks, how do you feel about beans? They have a very satisfying texture (to me), some protein, and can be paired with all kinds of vegetables and sauces for volume. They also keep well in the fridge so you could batch cook them and then just heat up some when you need a quick snack.