Too little?

So I ve been going on a run at night everyday this week.

Just one mile.

Then coming home and doing light weight training.

3 sets of 3 exercises.

It’s not much, but I want to do something attainable that I can be consistent with.

Is that too little or should I challenge myself to do more?

Replies

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    For me, I started out with a mile run like you. As I got stronger and or fit, I wanted to do more. What you are doing is awesome and when you are ready to add more, if ever, you will.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    too little for what? what are your goals?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Baby steps. You have to start somewhere. Then you increase gradually.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2020
    First off - one mile is great! Don’t tell yourself it is “just” one mile... you are out there and you are doing it! Don’t discredit your accomplishment just because you don’t feel it measures up for whatever reason (measure up to what? Or whom?) I tell myself one mile is better than no miles - some days that mile is HARD for various reasons (weather, chronic fatigue, joint pain, etc.). You are lapping those still on the couch ;) If it works for you, then keep on keepin’ on. Doing too much too soon might have a negative effect physically and/or mentally. You can always set a goal and start working towards it - if you really enjoy running you could sign up for a 5k in early spring and start on Couch to 5k now. Then move to a 10k if you so desire! If you aren’t a fan of distance running you could look up options for more speed related goals within that mile. Or jump rope. Or biking. Or ______ (fill in the blank).

Light weight training could be the start of heavy weight training - who knows! If you feel like you could step it up, then look towards new goals. I don’t do much with weights but I know there are several programs I have seen mentioned on here. And if you stick with lighter weights, it’s all good... something is better than nothing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Fitness is something that is built over time. You should do what is attainable for you both in regards to your current fitness level as well as time available. Challenging one's self is good...pushing the limits regularly often results in burnout or injury or both. Never mind the fact the you ultimately reach a point of diminishing returns on your "investment"
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    If you haven't run before then 1 mile every day may be TOO MUCH. You have to ease into running and days off are very important.

What are you goals?
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    It’s a great start. Bravo! You’ll do more when you’re ready. Don’t make it more complicated than necessary.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    If you haven't run before then 1 mile every day may be TOO MUCH. You have to ease into running and days off are very important.

What are you goals?

I agree. One mile might be fine...maybe not. Depends on what your goals are. Are you just doing it to be active? Do you have maybe a goal to run a 5K? C25K is great for this, btw.

While I do something 7 days a week, I don't run 7 days a week. I run 4 days and then walk 3 days...with body weight exercises on the days I don't run.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

What are you goals?

This. One mile of nonstop running every day for someone who just started running is likely too much. If you are new to running, it is safer to follow a training plan like C25K.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Everyone has to start somewhere, and one should often start slowly. Having said that, the total volume isn't a lot. I'd wager that you can do a lot more lifting or body weight work after your one-mile run.

This is the point at which a lot of people here say, "It's a good start!" or "It's better than nothing!" Both of which are true, but for an effective workout, I'd recommend doing more. Even beginners can typically do an hour-long workout class, even if they have to go light and slowly.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    You’re off the couch. That’s a win right there. I found that the more I exercised, the more I wanted to exercise, so I did and then did again. The exercise and weight loss has a snowball effect. Now I get antsy sitting around.

If you are consistent, it will happen.

It’s like that really annoying prescription drug commercial: “A body in motion, stays in motion”.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    1 mile is actually a good amount of cardio. Not sure how long that takes you, but 20 minutes of cardio with about 30 minutes of weight training is just fine for a starting point.

A typical lifting routine for me is:
    4-6 exercises from among barbell squats, rows,deadlifts,bench press, over head press,later pulls, bicep curls, and core exercises.

I do 3-6 sets, 5-12 reps , depending on the mesocycle/goals.