Marathon?

pandyeats
pandyeats Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m currently in training for the London Marathon in April.

Anyone else crazy/lucky to be running it this year? Or any other event?

How are you finding training?

☺️

Replies

• julebrus2020
    julebrus2020 Posts: 26 Member
    I am signed up for a half marathon in early summer. So far it's been raining every day since before Christmas, so the outdoor C25K I was going to start doing have been pushed back. But I'm doing some strength training, as well as Pilates to get a bit more flexible and build strength.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    just started training for flying pig marathon in may
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    5 weeks out from my second (New Orleans). I’m at peak training right now so I’m really just about mentally done with the whole thing at this point LOL. Only a couple more big weeks though.

Then nothing longer than a half (but several of them) for over a year.
  • pandyeats
    I am signed up for a half marathon in early summer. So far it's been raining every day since before Christmas, so the outdoor C25K I was going to start doing have been pushed back. But I'm doing some strength training, as well as Pilates to get a bit more flexible and build strength.

Amazing stuff - I have a few halfs lined up for training. I think they’re harder than a full marathon!
  • pandyeats
    Hope it goes well for you!! 😊

• deannalfisher
    pandyeats wrote: »
    Hope it goes well for you!! 😊

thanks - i figure i'll actually train for this one vs. just bullshitting it like i have done previously (my other marathons have been the same year as other endurance events - so haven't had to really train)
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    I have a half in April and might be doing a full in June. I'm still contemplating. It would be my 5th full.
  • pandyeats
    5 weeks out from my second (New Orleans). I’m at peak training right now so I’m really just about mentally done with the whole thing at this point LOL. Only a couple more big weeks though.

I felt like that after London last year. Then signed up again 48 hours later 😂
  • Duck_Puddle

I said I would never do a full. Then never again after the first. And here I am.

I say I’m definitely not doing another, but I fear that might be an unintentional lie.
  • Duck_Puddle
    I have a half in April and might be doing a full in June. I'm still contemplating. It would be my 5th full.

You’ve got an ultra in the fall, right? Marathon in June is a natural step.
  • deannalfisher

I said I would never do a full. Then never again after the first. And here I am.

I say I’m definitely not doing another, but I fear that might be an unintentional lie.

everyone says that around the point of training that you are at ;)
  • Duck_Puddle

everyone says that around the point of training that you are at ;)

I had a long talk with my coach about last week. A whole logical thing about how I’m not doing another and I know I said that before but I really mean it this time and launched into a whole PowerPoint presentation.

Coach laughed the whole time. Even he knows I’m lying (unintentionally).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    No Spring marathons planned. I'm running Richmond in the Fall. I may get to marathon distance at my 6 hour trail run in a few weeks. My plan is to do at least 20 miles and go on if I feel good. But since my I've had only one long run of more than 10 miles in the past 2 months I'm not counting on "feeling good".

Good luck at London. That one is on my bucket list in the next couple years.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I wish I could do London, but getting in is almost impossible, I hear, if you're not British. I'm planning to do a marathon in Delaware in April, so I'm on week 6 of my 20 week plan. So far so good.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member

You’ve got an ultra in the fall, right? Marathon in June is a natural step.

That's still under contemplation too. ;)
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    I wish I could do London, but getting in is almost impossible, I hear, if you're not British. I'm planning to do a marathon in Delaware in April, so I'm on week 6 of my 20 week plan. So far so good.

It's still impossible even if you are British, I have applied 7 times with no luck. I will keep applying and maybe do it for a charity I like
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    I have a half marathon in March and another in May, then the Berlin Marathon in September and Yorkshire Marathon in October. Hope training for these will help me get back to fitness and healthier eating.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    I signed up for the Marine Corp (MCM) last year, tried to do it on my own, looking back it was a mistake because I was not a runner, it was too easy to skip training runs. I finished but just about dead last. So I signed up for a ½ marathon training group since. It ends in April and I will then move into a Full marathon group after that. That should enable me to redeem myself. The group helps, because even though I seldom run with anyone, knowing there is a group at the start that know if I am there, makes me get up for some of those morning runs. Knowing there is a group, keeps me accountable, helps me to ignore the weather where I thought it was too cold or raining. We are only a month in, but I am tracking pretty nicely. Still I walk too much, but getting better. I have a half marathon in May, which I am feeling very optimistic about.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I am registered for the Flying Pig Marathon, as well. I've taken the long run mileage from this plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml but I'm not following the 5 runs per week part - I'm just running every other day, with an eye towards keeping the long run at 50% or less than weekly mileage.

My first marathon wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and I took a DNF. If I stick to the plan, this will be the first time I'll have done that. I have a cold or sinus infection right now, so I only ran 2 miles today before I decided it was a bad idea. Yesterday was supposed to be a run day, and I didn't run at all, so I'm behind schedule. It's already not looking good for sticking to the plan.

I don't really care if I don't do a good job of sticking to the plan, so long as I don't get injured. I want to believe that sticking to the plan will help prevent injury, but personal anecdotal evidence suggests that it's not a guarantee. I am also working on strengthening my hips and making an attempt at increasing flexibility.

Best of luck to all of us.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I am so glad to see some people running the Flying Pig! It was my first and one of my favorites. I have run it three times and also run the half twice. It's a fantastic race from start to finish with amazing crowd support. I hope you all enjoy the weekend as much as I do. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the course or the race in general. I am an avid (and unpaid!) endorser of the Flying Pig!