Gluten free meal ideas

Jofish5
Jofish5 Posts: 7 Member
Hi

I am struggling for healthy gluten free meal ideas. Especially those high in iron and vitamin b.

Please post any ideas/recipes as I really need the help.

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Do you have a diagnosed medical reason to avoid gluten, or is this more about preference/experimenting?

Either way, you can make pretty much any meal gluten free by swapping out to a gluten free option. Cinnamon rolls are kinda hard to do without gluten, but that’s literally the only recipe I’ve struggled with during my 4-ish years of eating gluten free. There are gluten free breads, flours, pastas etc. that you can use to substitute for almost anything that’s in your recipe. Go to your local grocery store and take your time to look around for substitutions.

For iron and vitamin B, I’d look into lean meats and dark green vegetables.
  • Jofish5
    Hi

I cannot eat it for medical reasons but I am struggling as all the g/f alternatives are high in calories.
  • nettyb76
    nettyb76 Posts: 2 Member
    If you like salads, we make a quinoa salad (quinoa has good iron levels and it's a good protein source) - boil/simmer 1 cup quinoa according to packet directions; dice and oven bake about 1/2 cup pumpkin, lightly sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with cumin before cooking; lightly roast 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds or almond pieces (I just do these in a pan for a couple of minutes, no oil needed); chop chives, parsley and mint (I do about 1/2 cup in total); mix all ingredients together (once they're cool); then mix olive oil and lemon juice together (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup in total, equal parts of each) and mix through the quinoa mix (add salt/pepper to taste if you like). We like this best after it's been in the fridge at least a couple of hours so the flavours go through.
    This can be a good side for dinner with grilled fish, chicken or meat, or just on its own for lunch.
  • nettyb76
    nettyb76 Posts: 2 Member
    I also should add that this amount does us for multiple meals!
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Tell me what your favorite meals are and I will give you some gluten free adaptations for them.

I've been gluten free for years. I don't really have any specifically gluten free recipes, but I use gluten free pasta in place of regular pasta in recipes, gf soy sauce in place of regular, sweet rice flour to thicken sauces in place of wheat flour, gf oats in place of regular oats, etc.

Most of my lunches and dinners involve some type of meat or legume with some vegetables and sometimes a starch. These may be in the form of 3-4 items on a plate or mixed together in a casserole or strifry. I just choose a gf starch to make the meal gf. Breakfast usually involves some eggs, some dairy, sometimes gf starch like potatoes, rice, gf bread, gf oats, etc.

A meal of grilled salmon, lentils and steamed spinach is healthy, gf and high in B vitamins.

A meal of liver and onions, sauteed greens and potatoes is healthy, gf and high in iron and B vitamins.
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    I was diagnosed with Celiac disease after eating gluten my whole life, and had the same problem. It can be really depressing, but it gets so much easier over time.

Not sure how helpful all of this will be, but here’s what I have - if any of these interest you, let me know and I can post the full recipes :)

Main Dishes
    -Stir Fry with chicken and broccoli (g free sauce of course!)
    -Hawaiian Steak Fajitas
    -Cheeseburger
    -Chicken Wings - Teriyaki sauce
    -Beef Stew
    -Enchiladas
    -Mini Vegetarian Peanut Wraps

Sides
    -Baked Broccoli (cooked until it caramelizes – so good and easy)
    -Parmesan Asparagus
    -Fries
    -Canned Veggies (for lazy days)
    -Berries
    -Fruit

How I substitute
    Noodles – Most G-Free Noodles taste about the same to me, so I mix it up a lot.
    Breads – Udi has the best bread
    Buns - Schar Ciabatta rolls, not the multi grains just the regular ones. THESE ARE SO MUCH LIKE GLUTEN-FUL BUNS!!! Seriously. So good.
    Wraps – Corn Tortillas – I use these all the time for tons and tons of stuff. They are a lower calorie option which is great

Tips on eating lower calories g-free
    I wish I had some genius to share with you, but I don’t. Here’s what I do in case it helps!
    - Focus on foods that are naturally gluten free, they don’t add extra sugar and butter to those.
    - Dig out the centers of buns – if they are really fat dry buns, I just eat it open face or use a fork to “core” the bun.
    - Use veggies in place of gluten – Zoodles are a great example of this, sometimes I will chop up a bag of frozen veggies and mix it in with spaghetti just to add more noodles
    - Yummy high calorie g-free deserts yes! But in moderation – I don’t say “no” to these things, I just try to plan for them
    - Smaller portion sizes – I try to plan the calories I am going to eat and just take that amount. It makes sure I don’t over eat.

ALSO Avocado dark chocolate chip cookies – SO GOOD and not very high cal!

Sorry this post was so long!

• JacobsMomma07
    JacobsMomma07 Posts: 1 Member
    I would like a couple of the recipes you posted if you don’t mind! 😊
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    I created a cookie recipe and an ice cream recipe for my daughter. The cookies are 1 cup each of oats, unsweetened applesauce, and simply jif peanut butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla. You can add 1/ 2 cup of raisins or chocolate chips if you like. Bake 375 about 10 minutes

Ice cream recipe is 2 banas, 1/2 simply jif, 1/4 cup soy or coconut milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Blend until smooth and freeze.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    We had Cambodian beef lok lak with a side of rice and khmer lime and pepper sauce tonight. Almost any asian meal will be based on rice instead of wheat.
    hcre5rps6pr7.jpeg

• ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Stephanie O'Dea's website www.ayearofslowcooking.com/ has a ton of good ideas for main dish, soups, and sides for both omnivores and vegetarians. Her daughter has celiac and so every recipe is either naturally gf or has gf substitutions if needed. You don't have to make everything in a crock pot either - a lot are easily converted.
  • Jofish5
    So sorry that I haven't been back online. I work for the nhs so I haven't had chance.

Thank you so much for your advice and recipes. I really appreciate your help