Daily Commitment Thread for 2020 -- JUST FOR TODAY

Replies

• HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    I have started a new medication, and it WORKS! It’s amazing how much better I feel—I actually was able to RUN the other day.

This is AWESOME! I'm so happy for you! I hope the doctor can figure out the feverish part but keep up the active mobility upside. Keep us informed!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Monday 6 January

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Water :)
    Fitbit exercise goals :)
    Loose that 5 kg (no further progress, still at -1.1) :/

Discard 5lb challenge
    SW 122
    CW 122 (-0) :/

Another day of meeting my goals :) I was hoping for a better nights sleep- the wind kept me awake last night but gales are forecast for midnight onwards so I think it will be another disturbed night.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member

I don’t know if anyone remembers me mentioning that I have been having serious mobility issues, likely due to worsening fibromyalgia. I have started a new medication, and it WORKS! It’s amazing how much better I feel—I actually was able to RUN the other day. The downside is that I am experiencing a side effect, which is sweating and feeling like I have a fever. Going back to my doctor tomorrow, but this is *mostly* good news.

This is wonderful news for you. I know you've been suffering from this for a long time. Hopefully they can find something to help with the side effects.
  • mytime6630
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all, feeling more positive today. New week, kids go back to school tomorrow and I can build my new routine for the next few weeks before I go back to school myself!

My plan for the year is basically in three parts. I need to park the whole weight thing for a few weeks but then I can think more about aiming for a loss if needed. So it’s mainly a series of fitness goals. Otherwise I have some other life admin stuff I want to achieve, but prioritising health on here. X

Jan - April: Active recovery. Plenty of walking, focus on hydration and nutrition.

April - August: Running rehab. Aim to build back up to running distance and times. Target half marathon by August and back to my preferred weight range 115-125.

September - December: Weights and yoga focus. Reduce running to 2x week and build back up strength, resistance and flexibility. Maintain ideal weight range and avoid the feast/famine swings of the past!

Hope you’ve all had a happy Monday. Will be on here tomorrow to post some goals. X

I love how you have your goals broken down into months ... this is awesome! The weight will change with all your fitness goals. You are very smart to just focus on fitness goals right now. After all .. that is really what is the most importan .. overall health and fitness .. not the numbers on a scale. Great job!
  • mytime6630
    Today, I am 17 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of this. I actually am 246, down from 263 about a year ago. This is hard but doable. Much work needs to be done.

Great job! It is all so doable .. when you take it one day at a time, 5 pounds at a time! Proud of you .. you can do this!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Hey everyone, one thing I want to start doing is logging. Is there anyone else on here who is the non-cook in their household? My husband is very thoughtful, but I've never been sure how to measure out a serving of, say, jambalaya. It's easier if he fixes pork chops or something because I can use a precooked weight. But a casserole or pasta dish that isn't in an easy-to-math 9x13 pan is a lot harder to judge.

My husband does 98% of the cooking. When he makes a casserole or chili, I ask him what he put in it and ask him approximately how much of each ingredient and I create a recipe. then I estimate about how many servings I think it should be divided into. Otherwise, I try to find something similar in the database and go with the closest one.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    MONDAY
    1. 10,000 steps
    2. 5 freggies
    3. 10C liquids
    4. Register for tango class
    5. Gym (cardio/weight workout) after work
    6. 8 hours sleep
    7. Finish home chores

I don’t know if anyone remembers me mentioning that I have been having serious mobility issues, likely due to worsening fibromyalgia. I have started a new medication, and it WORKS! It’s amazing how much better I feel—I actually was able to RUN the other day. The downside is that I am experiencing a side effect, which is sweating and feeling like I have a fever. Going back to my doctor tomorrow, but this is *mostly* good news.

I do remember you saying that. I'm happy for you that they've found something that helps! I was happy to see you are registering for Tango class. If I remember correctly, you used to dance a lot, didn't you? I thought it might be a good sign that you are going to take it up again! Good for you!

@bookmeister86 Great 2020 goals! I love how you broke them out into smaller pieces monthly. I'm trying to take that approach this year with setting good habits for myself. Concentrating on one each month.

@maryrobinson40 I missed you! xoxo
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    kazzyv wrote: »
    New to this thread. Been on and off MFP for years - and the only positive I have is that starting 2020 I am 2lbs under where I started 5 or 6 years ago !! But there have been many ups and downs in that time.
    I really like the idea of a daily committment - at the moment that's how long my will power lasts.

So back to work today and my goals JFT Jan 6th are
    1. Record everything I eat - no matter how bad it looks !
    2. Drink more water - I can't go straight to 8 glasses as at the moment I drink nothing - so JFT 2 glasses of water.
    3. Leave my desk for a walk at lunchtime.

Will report back tomorrow - wish me luck

WELCOME!!
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    JFT MONDAY

Did laundry and some cleaning out the closet today. This is the last part of my entry for today. I'm happy with it.
    WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW PEOPLE! ENJOY. GLAD TO HAVE YOU.
  • Kuhl50
    Kuhl50 Posts: 416 Member
    Kuhl50 wrote: »

Monday, 1/6 Goals

1. Up at 6, walk/run per app, 2 reps yoga stretches 😁
    2. Healthy breakfast, NOT looking at phone or reading kindle😁
    3. Pack and bring lunch + supplies for work fridge😁
    4. Log all food and stay green😁
    5. Pre-plan treat—dark chocolate😁 are a chocolate seahorse instead, but in my allowance
    6. Evening: Pack lunch, set out breakfast for Tuesday, set out workout clothes 😁
    7. Enter JFT for Tuesday😁
    8. Upstairs by 9 😁, journal, 😁 lights out 9:45. (Should happen!)

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Monday! For me it was first day back, luckily a light day before the true crunch begins. Kept to my goals. :smile: Now to keep the momentum!

Tuesday 1/7
    1. Up at 6, walk, exercises per 7minute App, 2 reps yoga stretches
    2. Healthy breakfast, NOT looking at phone or reading kindle
    3. Pack and bring lunch
    4. Log all food and stay green
    5. Pre-plan treat—chocolate seahorse
    6. Evening: Make salads for Wed-Fri; cook tenderloin for protein, set out breakfast for Wednesday, set out workout clothes
    7. Enter JFT for Wednesday
    8. Upstairs by 9, journal, lights out 9:45
  • Kuhl50
    Kuhl50 Posts: 416 Member
    I have decided my word for the year is Habits.

Only recently, when I read the Atomic Habits book, did it finally click for me the need for and power of all the small, daily, repetitive actions that are necessary to make and sustain change. I always wanted it to be “I make a big effort, achieve something, then can relax” (graduate college, run a marathon, lose 50 lbs, etc). But no, I actually have to have a daily learning habit, exercise habit, food tracking habit, etc to get what I want and KEEP it.

So my keystone 2020 habits:
    1. Track food everyday
    2. Get up every morning, put on exercise clothes, leave front door
    3. Journal everyday

Some additional ones I want to add in after I solidify my key ones—
    1. Mindful eating—no kindle, tv, etc
    2. Meditate daily
    3. Express gratitude to at least one person every day
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Morning all, loving all the positivity and insight on here from all members old and new. First day back to school for the kids so I’m up early and ready fo find my new normal!

Goals for Tuesday
    - Up early, hair wash, check wound healing
    - Get kids up and ready
    - Pack snacks and schoolbags
    - Leave by 7:40
    - Walk kids to school
    - Sort quotes for gutters
    - Book boiler service
    - Book ear piercing appt for P
    - Meet N for walk (ask her to witness docs)
    - Pick up at 3:45
    - Shops after school to collect delivery and visit health food store
    - L birthday party planning
    - Stay within calorie goal
    - Hydrate!
    - Bed by 10.

Have a great day all x
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    MONDAY
    1. 10,000 steps
    2. 5 freggies
    3. 10C liquids
    4. Register for tango class
    5. Gym (cardio/weight workout) after work
    6. 8 hours sleep
    7. Finish home chores

I do remember you saying that. I'm happy for you that they've found something that helps! I was happy to see you are registering for Tango class. If I remember correctly, you used to dance a lot, didn't you? I thought it might be a good sign that you are going to take it up again! Good for you!

Ha ha, yes, I used to dance a lot. I have been making a career switch, which ate away at my dance time, then I moved to a rural area where there is almost no dance available (and it is harder to get to the metro area) and then barely being able to walk for six month has not helped. Tango isn't very physically intense, so it is a good place to start--and I found a class in my small town!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,931 Member
    edited January 2020
    Another New day! Another opportunity to achieve great things, one step at a time.
    I am straight into all my group meetings again. Determined to manage my time better.
    The only failure is giving up!
    ==============================
    2019 DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGES:
    01 Aug 2019: 170.1
    31 Dec 2019: 151.2
    Total weight loss: 19.9lbs
    2020 - Jan Discard 5lb Challenge
    Name: Terri
    SW: 152.1 (02 Jan)
    GW: 147.1
    03 Jan: 151.8
    04 Jan: 151.4
    05 Jan: 151.2 This is mostly water weight.
    06 Jan: 151.2 - 1.1
    WFTY: DEPTH
    Depth Year - Updates
    I definitely have way too much stuff. I need to streamline my existence, resist adding more stuff, and start using what I have already got. I have been working towards doing this for several years with my decluttering. I need to stop the march of consumerism, and putting money into the pockets of other people by buying things I want rather than actually need.
    03 Jan: This is going to be way harder than I thought. Need to,work,out strategies and guidelines for what I can and cannot purchase.
    1. I have a stack of books which I haven't read. I will read one of those book a month, and not buy any more books this year. I will source any other books I want to read at the library.
    2. 04 Jan: The Illusionists - Rosie Thomas > 5 chapters per week
    3. I have closets full of clothes that no longer fit. I will work my way through them over the next two months, and either alter them to fit, or donate them to charity.
    4. 07 Jan:One bag already full and ready to go,to the charity shop
    5. I have a lot of Craft supplies. I will optimise what I have before I buy any new supplies. Sticking to this one will be difficult.
    6. 07 Jan: Depth Year: I have Parchment Craft this morning. I will pick out one of my ongoing projects and work on it to completion. No new projects until I have finished at least 3 ongoing ones.
    Daily Goals
    • Food: log All food and drink; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately; NLNS!!!
    • Exercise: Knee Physio; 7,500+ Steps daily; 30 + minutes intentional exercise
    • Other: Daily Mindfulness Practice/Meditation; Practice Self-care; Positively reframe thoughts; Live! Love! Learn!; 15 mins Daily Declutter session; keep up to date with chores

JFT Mon 06 Jan
    Daily Goals:
    🌟
    Activities:
    • 10.30am: Creative Writing 🌟
    • 2pm: Monday Painters 🌟
    • The Illusionists - Rosie Thomas: Read Ch 3🌟Actually read 2 chapters today
    • Chores🌟
    JFT Tue 07 Jan
    Daily Goals:

Activities:
    • 10.30am: Patchwork Group
    • Prep for Garden Group visit to our home tomorrow
    • The Illusionists - Rosie Thomas: Read Ch 5
    • Chores
    Hey everyone, one thing I want to start doing is logging. Is there anyone else on here who is the non-cook in their household? My husband is very thoughtful, but I've never been sure how to measure out a serving of, say, jambalaya. It's easier if he fixes pork chops or something because I can use a precooked weight. But a casserole or pasta dish that isn't in an easy-to-math 9x13 pan is a lot harder to judge.
    You can enter his recipe in the recipe builder as 2 servings (or more, if he bulk cooks) and the app works out the calories for one portion.
    @maryrobinson40 Lovely to see you back posting.
    @bookmeister86 Great goals. And good idea to do regular reviews.
    @Snowflake1968 Root Canal! Yikes!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    @Bex953172 welcome back - looking forward to your entertaining posts.