Chia Seeds- who knew??

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds#section5

I've heard of them, of course though have never used them. They seem to be the ultimate healthy little morsels in many many ways so I'll definitely be adding them to my grocery list. I found a recipe for making overnight pumpkin pie oats which sounds pretty good and different. I need to do different now, to re-excite my eating plan. :/

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie-overnight-oats/bc04ff57-5078-4264-91d3-636d6cc5ee6b

Replies

• nenelove
    nenelove Posts: 25 Member
    You can also make Chia pudding. It’s pretty delicious.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    nenelove wrote: »
    You can also make Chia pudding. It’s pretty delicious.

Hell yea they do.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member

Love chia seeds. Put them in porridge and yogurt too for a healthy little extra
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Love chia seeds. Use them in baking to instead of eggs
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I tried them a couple times and they were so bitter and vile. I don't get it.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

They may have been rancid. They are high in unsaturated fatty acids and so are particularly vulnerable. Flax, walnuts, etc also have the same issue. But perhaps you just don’t like chia!

• Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    I usually soak them overnight and toss them in my oatmeal for breakfast. Everyone around me thinks it's gross, but screw them :p
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

Try some of these others: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-healthiest-seeds

I really like the hemp seeds and sesame seeds. I put them on everything to add a little bit of punch.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I don't like them on their own, but will chuck a spoonful into overnight oats.

Chia pudding though is evil 😨
  • ReenieHJ
    My sister just told me today, that in order to get the benefits of the chia seeds, you have to grind them?? I was just going to make overnight oats and not grind them; won't that be good enough?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    My sister just told me today, that in order to get the benefits of the chia seeds, you have to grind them?? I was just going to make overnight oats and not grind them; won't that be good enough?

Your sister is wrong. Flax though I've read should be ground. Google "should chia seeds be ground to get the benifits" and you'll see they are good as is.

LOVE chia pudding!
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    I put them in my smoothies and can't even taste them!
  • ReenieHJ
    mockchoc wrote: »

Your sister is wrong. Flax though I've read should be ground. Google "should chia seeds be ground to get the benifits" and you'll see they are good as is.

LOVE chia pudding!

Evidently, she was talking with her dh's VA dr. and she's the one that told her but I did read something in my search where it's not necessary to grind them. Either way, mine aren't getting ground. :) I did look up chia pudding too and found a chocolate one I'm going to try, looks delicious. But I've got 4 mason jars of overnight oats in the fridge that I'll be eating up first. Can't wait for breakfast!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

LOVE chia pudding!

Evidently, she was talking with her dh's VA dr. and she's the one that told her but I did read something in my search where it's not necessary to grind them. Either way, mine aren't getting ground. :) I did look up chia pudding too and found a chocolate one I'm going to try, looks delicious. But I've got 4 mason jars of overnight oats in the fridge that I'll be eating up first. Can't wait for breakfast!

Chocolate chia pudding is great. I'd like to try it with a little coffee added to it next time too. If you like coconut it'd be nice with coconut milk too.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    They help me poop.
  • tontondam
    tontondam Posts: 7 Member
    Chia seeds are great to decrease blood sugar, went from 106 to 95 without changing my diet. Lowering carbs to 40% of total daily calories lowered blood glucose further to 83. I have 2 tbsp chia seeds in my overnight oats.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I am not big on chia pudding...maybe because I just haven't found a recipe I like yet. But I do put them in my smoothies and in my yogurt. I will also sprinkle them on top of muffins.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    I am not big on chia pudding...maybe because I just haven't found a recipe I like yet. But I do put them in my smoothies and in my yogurt. I will also sprinkle them on top of muffins.

Yeah, me too. Nutrition's good, but not enough to overcome the sort of "crunchy tapioca" perception, for me.

I'm sticking with other foods (including hemp & milled flax seeds, walnuts) that are tastier, to me. To each her own. :drinker:

Gotta say, Healthline's standards for "proven" are often quite different from mine. Like I said, to each her own. ;)
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yeah, me too. Nutrition's good, but not enough to overcome the sort of "crunchy tapioca" perception, for me.

I'm sticking with other foods (including hemp & milled flax seeds, walnuts) that are tastier, to me. To each her own. :drinker:

Gotta say, Healthline's standards for "proven" are often quite different from mine. Like I said, to each her own. ;)

While I love hemp seed, I have to limit my use of it since I am still active duty and it can cause issues with my urinalysis if I consume too much. Every once in a while, I will throw some hemp into my breakfast smoothies.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I’m sorry but they just remind me of frog spawn 🤢