Daily Commitment Thread for 2020 -- JUST FOR TODAY

Replies

• kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Hey everyone, one thing I want to start doing is logging. Is there anyone else on here who is the non-cook in their household? My husband is very thoughtful, but I've never been sure how to measure out a serving of, say, jambalaya. It's easier if he fixes pork chops or something because I can use a precooked weight. But a casserole or pasta dish that isn't in an easy-to-math 9x13 pan is a lot harder to judge.

I have the same issue. My husband works from home so cooks most days (I don't get back from the office until about 7 in the evening). I think the best way - its quite time consuming to start - is to take the recipe he uses, log all the ingredients and save on MFP. Then try and work out roughly how much I have eaten of the finished dish. Its not exact but that seems the best way. If he doesn't follow recipes then you need to ask him what goes in and try and estimate it. We really shouldn't complain as I guess we are lucky not to have to cook.
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    @azulvioleta40 I'm so glad that you found a dance class. It's always great to be able to go back to the things that you love. I hope that your body continues to improve!

@Bex953172 WELCOME! We've missed you! It's awesome to "see" you and that you kicked that depressive episode in the *kitten*! Lol. And you're right! 2020 is going to be your year! Just like it's going to be mine and all the other fine women on this board!

• ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Tuesday 7 January

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Water Fitbit exercise goals
    Loose that 5kg :# was at -1.1 but gained .2 overnight. I’m blaming the scales and or normal fluctuations and will get new batteries for the scale when I next go shopping. I’m also going to use the trend from happyscale to iron out the blips. My logging may not be as accurate as I think but I don’t think it’s so far out that I should be gaining! Perhaps I’m waterlogged from meeting my water goal!!

Loose 5lb challenge

SW 122
    CW 122.4 (+.2) :#

The stormy weather is affecting my Fitbit. It thinks I’ve climbed 6 flights of stairs and I know I’ve not climbed anything!
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member

JFT, 1/6/20

- Back to school/ Up at 530 :smiley:
    - Pack/bring lunch :smiley:
    - Pack/bring gym clothes & book :smiley:Didn't end up reading but I did spend time texting with my friends.
    - Gym after school :smiley:I'm so glad that I went. It was so much easier to go after school than it is in the morning!
    - Pick one dang order! :disappointed:I really REALLY need to do this.
    - Chapter 20 :neutral:I need to do this even more than the above item!
    - Actually cook dinner(pork chops and veggies) :smiley:It was yummy. Matt's on a potato kick though so we've had potatoes with dinner for the last few nights. Not a great choice because of all the carbs but oh well.
    - Put the dishes away :smiley:
    - Bed by 930 :smiley:I think I turned that light off right around 9:30. It took me a little while to fall asleep but when I did I'm pretty sure I slept through the night.

School was pretty good yesterday. My student J was a little off in the morning, but honestly, that's to be expected. He hyperfocuses on topics. He moved to our town over the summer and really wants to go back to his old town so he talks about that all the time. And his old school takes their seniors on a trip to Disney but our school doesn't so he always asks about that. We try to redirect him off the topic because if we don't and just give him a direct answer in the negative he starts jumping around, stomping and yelling No. But by the end of the day he was fine. So I'm hoping for a better start to the day today.

I plan on going to the gym again today. I'm really glad that I went yesterday. I worked on chest, back, and shoulders during weights and my arms are a little weak today. Lol. I think today will be leg and abs day. Gotta give my arms a rest. Lol.

Okay, onto goals!

JFT, 1/7/20

-Bring gym clothes/lunch to school
    -Pick 1 order!
    -WRITE CH 20!!!!
    -Bring up trash can
    -Wash bedding
    -Gym after school
    -Reach water goal
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Yay! @Bex953172 so good to see you back here. Happy new year - hope the depression is under control. This time of year can be so damn hard.

I’m through most of my to-do list today and it’s not even noon. Think I may have peaked too early but it’s amazing what you can do without kids at home distracting you! X
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Today I would like to do 1:30 playing ringfit on advance level and finish another level in the adventure
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Hello! I haven't been keeping up with the house as much as I'd like to, I've struggled with this my whole life. In my mind I like everything to be neat and tidy but then I struggle to actually take action and make it that way. This is going to be a battle I keep having but I want to do this! I want a clean house! I get so tired after work and then make excuses, but lots of people work full time and still keep things clean so that's no excuse haha.

Yesterday 1/6:

1. Stay within calorie goal😑 went over, but still in a deficit
    2. Finish work at 5:20 😑 almost
    3. Pick out clothes for tomorrow😔
    4. Buy groceries😁

JFT 1/7:

1. Stay within calorie goal
    2. Finish work at 5:20
    3. Do workout
    4. Clean kitchen
    5. Lay out clothes for tomorrow
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,301 Member
    Hello! I haven't been keeping up with the house as much as I'd like to, I've struggled with this my whole life. In my mind I like everything to be neat and tidy but then I struggle to actually take action and make it that way. This is going to be a battle I keep having but I want to do this! I want a clean house! I get so tired after work and then make excuses, but lots of people work full time and still keep things clean so that's no excuse haha.

You'd be surprised how many people are the same as you. We are just really good at doing a quick tidy when folks come over. :wink:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    MONDAY
    1. 10,000 steps :( 9022
    2. 5 freggies :)
    3. 10C liquids :) 12
    4. Register for tango class :)
    5. Gym (cardio/weight workout) after work :smiley:
    6. 8 hours sleep :( 5
    7. Finish home chores :)
    TUESDAY
    1. Weigh in
    2. 10,000 steps
    3. Walk on both work breaks
    4. 5 freggies
    5. 10C liquids
    6. Tango, 90 minutes
    7. 6 hours sleep

• beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    edited January 2020
    Good morning all!

I'm getting off to a slow start this week. I'm just not focused on what I need to do to organize my house and prep for the Spring semester, which starts in 2 weeks.

@aubyshortcake - I hear you! This has been a lifelong stuggle for me as well. I know I'll feel better when things are neat and organized, but it's tough to summon the focus and motivation for household tasks.

My sleep schedule is also completely out of whack, so I need to start walking that back by a couple of hours. I'm a more natural night owl in an early bird world. I set an alarm for the rest of the week. Now I just have to resist late-night TV.

On the upside, it felt so good to get out and walk in the park yesterday!

Goals for Monday, January 6, 2020
    • Complete food log and maintain a calorie deficit - √
    • Walk 30+ minutes - Did 60 :D
    • Pay bills - No
    • Organize remaining returns - No
    • Pack boxes to be mailed - No
    • Finish towels and sheets √
    • Finish reading Twelfth Night – Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies instead :/

Goals for Tuesday, January 7, 2020
    Yesterday’s unfinished items:
    • Pay bills
    • Organize remaining returns
    • Pack boxes to be mailed
    • Finish reading Twelfth Night
    New for today:
    • Complete food log and maintain a calorie deficit
    • Walk 30+ minutes
    • Bank
    • Post office
    • Pick up grandsons from school
    • Start working on Spring syllabus

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    @Bex953172 - welcome back. Sorry you had a depression episode. They truly suck. Hope you had a good Christmas despite it.

@aubyshortcake - I have a tidy house, but with all the dust I wouldn’t call it clean. My Gramdmother would not approve.

@azulvioleta40 - sorry you’ve been struggling, hope the new meds side effects calm down some.

I know there was more but I can’t remember right now.

I made one of yesterday’s goals, I logged all my food but only drank about 1.5L of water. Being in the dentist chair for 3 hours all told cut into drinking time.

I had the root canal and cleaning. On the 21 I go get the post in for a crown, the mold for the crown and a filling. It’s going to be an expensive month getting my teeth all fixed but my fear of dentists have kept me away for so long it’s to be expected now.

JFT - Tuesday Jan 7
    2L of water
    Log all food

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Monday
    1. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Take lunch.
    2. Before school: Print syllabus. Print survey. Print standards. Check rosters.
    3. 8-10 AM: Grade and input late work. Grade-level meeting 10:00.
    4. Review unit and semester plans. Check computers for Monday.
    5. Lunch: Read 20 pages of Why School. Department meeting 1:00. Print rosters tomorrow. Work on blog post.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Run - Fartlek? Yoga with core/balance work. Check on B. Email student. Message Z. Read 20 pages of Why School.
    8. Log all food. Set up JFT for tomorrow. Put eggs in jambalaya.
    9. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Alarm set for 5:50.
    10. Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. START BLOGGING AGAIN. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement.

JFT Tuesday
    1. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Take lunch.
    2. Before school: Print rosters. Print grammar work for Wednesday.
    3. Drill. Sort and file papers. Organize desktop. Check on prescription refill.
    4. Review unit and semester plans. Set up assessments and cross-reference with standards. Set up unit plan 1.
    5. Lunch. Read 20 pages of Why School. Work on blog post.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Long run. Yoga with core/balance work. Check on B. Email student. Message Z. Read 20 pages of Why School.
    8. Log all food. Set up JFT for tomorrow. Pack lunch.
    9. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Alarm set for 5:50.
    10. Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. START BLOGGING AGAIN. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    Today: 196.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to discussion board for comments due Friday. PB usernames 6 digits, no 19 or 20s, no birthdates. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTENDED PRE FLEX DAY.
    6. Medical: Dentist Apr 30 8 AM but check on meetings and RS. Onco Apr ???. PCP Schedule for July. ObG schedule for October. PCP - allergy shots?
    7. Theater: Christie auditions 19-20 7 PM.
    8. House: Crawl space repairs. After that - siding? Or perhaps bathroom floor.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy new bikes and bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.

WFTY: Progress. Last day before students come back. I'm going to try for a longer run today - 4.5 miles or so.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,470 Member
    MIA due to stomach flu over the weekend, and still not 100%. More than 100 JFT posts since I logged in Friday so I'll just post for now and catch up later. Light list for today.

JFT T 1/7
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks
    2) Log all food / net calories zero / 14c water
    3) Muddle through workday
    4) Bed & tv off 10:20
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited January 2020
    @bookmeister86 and @snowflake1968 -- so frustrating how quickly the weight can come back on, isn't it. I realize for me that is will be a constant thing my entire life. That is why it is hard, and why it has to be a lifestyle change... old habits are hard to change. But you guys did it before ... you'll get back where you were!

@Bex -- Welcome back!!!! I am so sorry you were going through some depression ... this time of year is hard for a lot of people. But .. we are so happy to see you back ( now the mom part of me can stop worrying about you!)

@maryrobinson40 -- I hope you feel better soon! Lots of flu going around this time of year!

@Kuhl50 -- I like your word for the year of habits. To me, this is the one thing that is the most important ... changing habits. I have changed a lot of my habits last year, but it is scarry how quickly I can revert back to old, familiar habits.

@cschmitz110515 -- we missed you! So sorry you have also been sick. Hope you are feeling better soon!

@snowflake1968 -- Ah, I hate dentists! I have had so much dental work done ... it is so expensive. Not a good way to start your year, but something that is important. Drink lots of protein shakes!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Tuesday 7 January

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Water :)
    Fitbit exercise goals :)
    Loose that 5kg :# was at -1.1 but gained .2 overnight. I’m blaming the scales and or normal fluctuations and will get new batteries for the scale when I next go shopping. I’m also going to use the trend from happyscale to iron out the blips. My logging may not be as accurate as I think but I don’t think it’s so far out that I should be gaining! Perhaps I’m waterlogged from meeting my water goal!!

Loose 5lb challenge

SW 122
    CW 122.4 (+.2) :#

The stormy weather is affecting my Fitbit. It thinks I’ve climbed 6 flights of stairs and I know I’ve not climbed anything! Stormy weather gave me over 50 flights of stairs by the time I went to bed!