Goals for 2020?

2»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    Ultimately I'm looking to increase my ffmi...
    I'd like to reach 22-23... Right now I'm sitting around 21.5 ish...

Which means gain about 10lbs while keeping my bf the same... It's just going to be a matter of steering the helm back and forth...

I've got nothing but time so we'll see how it goes...

Just simply going to not try so hard to lose the weight I typically gain over the weekend, and focus on legs, and increasing intensity

FFMI Ranges for Men
    Description FFMI Range Body fat percent
    Skinny guy 17-18 10-18
    Typical average guy 18-20 20-27
    Fat guy 19-21 25-40
    Athlete / regular gym user 20-21 10-18
    Advanced gym freak 22-23 6-12
    Elite strength athlete (bodybuilders, etc.) 24-25 8-20

FFMI Ranges for Women
    Skinny woman 14-15 20-25
    Typical average woman 14-17 22-35
    Fat woman 15-18 30-45
    Athlete / regular gym user 16-17 18-25
    Advanced gym freak 18-20 15-22
    Elite strength athlete (bodybuilders, etc.) 19-22 15-30

https://www.calculators.org/health/ffmi.php

I like how it gives a general idea of how much body fat you carry.

It's interesting. I'm about 210# and 15% body fat. My FFMI is 23.550 and I have an estimated 31.5 pounds of body fat and my Fat-free mass is only 178.5 pounds.

If I were to weight 185 and was only 8% body fat my FFMI would be 22.45 - I would have to be at 4% body fat at 185# to get back to a FFMI of 23.431

edit: I'd much rather be at 15-18% bf at 210. I have no doubt I'd look like a science experiment at 185 and 4% but I'd also look DYEL in clothing and feel like poop. I also like to eat food. ;)
  • Sen107
    Sen107 Posts: 58 Member
    I noticed this thread has more 'specific' goals than your typical "lose x pounds" goals so hopefully this doesn't dilute the discussion too much.

Although i'm a noob to posting in mfp I am very familiar with MFP and healthy living. My issue has been the motivation to follow through. I've put on about 80 lbs since getting married. Lost about 30 lbs last year but pretty much put it back on. So here I go again. Going to try something different with posting here.

I average about 6x/week at the gym doing the regular PPL split. My issue (like most I assume) is diet and sticking to it. I know what my macros and deficit should be. Here's to staying consistent!

Starting weight: 285
    Goal weight: 233 (losing 1 lb/week)
    Current weight: 282
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Ultimately I'm looking to increase my ffmi...
    I'd like to reach 22-23... Right now I'm sitting around 21.5 ish...

Which means gain about 10lbs while keeping my bf the same... It's just going to be a matter of steering the helm back and forth...

I've got nothing but time so we'll see how it goes...

Just simply going to not try so hard to lose the weight I typically gain over the weekend, and focus on legs, and increasing intensity

FFMI Ranges for Men
    Skinny guy 17-18 10-18
    Typical average guy 18-20 20-27
    Fat guy 19-21 25-40
    Athlete / regular gym user 20-21 10-18
    Advanced gym freak 22-23 6-12
    Elite strength athlete (bodybuilders, etc.) 24-25 8-20

FFMI Ranges for Women
    Skinny woman 14-15 20-25
    Typical average woman 14-17 22-35
    Fat woman 15-18 30-45
    Athlete / regular gym user 16-17 18-25
    Advanced gym freak 18-20 15-22
    Elite strength athlete (bodybuilders, etc.) 19-22 15-30

I saw this too, good info and I love charts like this...

Although I listened to this podcast on ffmi the other day and one of the take aways was... I can basically drink 2 gallons of water and increase my ffmi considerably 😂...

Still going to try tho
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Kait_Dee wrote: »
    As a competitive female bodybuilder, my goal is 200lbs by February 1. I want to have a steady hold there for three days & continued upper movement until I start cutting for contest on Feb 15. I hit 195.1 this morning - so we’re trending positive.

I want strong lifts into my cut and a top placing in my summer show with the hopes of hitting a second show in July. :smile:

Can I ask your height and what weight you complete at

I'm curious about this too!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    My goal is to complete a lifting program. I've started a few in the past and never made it past week 1 for various reasons. In 2020, I want to follow through with what I say I'm going to do in terms of lifting.

I am hopeful that finishing the 8 weeks, will lead to me completing other programs. But for now, I am starting small and focusing on this one program.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    How's everyone doing on their goals for 2020? I'm hoping Coronavirus hasn't stopped you but understand if you had to make some adjustments.

I think I'm about halfway towards the 1000 lb club. I believed myself 123 lbs short at the beginning of the year and I think I'm now only about 60 lbs away. This breaks down to only needing about (3, 15, 40) pounds to my bench, squat, and deadlift respectively. This is an estimate though as my heaviest squat was actually a 317.5 x 4 at RPE 9 and when I reviewed the video footage discovered I was barely shy on depth. Long story. Still need to do more 1 rep maximum attempts but trying to get my squat depth correct first. Also still trying to figure out the best way to strap 30 lb dumbbells to my barbell because my home gym is a bit short on plates such that I can practice deadlifts above 350 lbs. Any suggestions?

I'm fatter than I've ever been at 215 lbs but eating a lot seems to take the lid off of my lifts. Looking forward now to my next cut.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Things are going alright over here, supposed to be maintaining/recomping and I was doing that for a while, then I lost about 3-5lbs then now I'm on the up again (so I suppose still in the range of maintenance). Lifts are going up. Body composition is kind of improving, very slowly, I think. It's hard to tell. I am not doing much cardio or yoga which I wanted to do but that's ok. Goal will be to bulk in the fall so I should be on my way to that, hopefully will be in my new home gym by then. I have a bit of body dysmorphia or something going on that isn't fun, looking at old pictures of myself or other people and just feeling hopeless at times.
  • wanderwoman2020
    wanderwoman2020 Posts: 109 Member
    My goal for 2020 was to get out more, that failed in March 🥴

Plan B - become a home made female body builder 🏋🏻‍♀️ Learn a martial art 🥋 survive the apocalypse 🧟‍♀️
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    My new year’s resolution was to “shop less” so the stores being closed due to the pandemic have made this goal easy to achieve so far. I also had 4 lbs to lost since the end of last summer and I added 2 lbs on top of that during lockdown which put me over my maintenance buffer range so I needed to lose those. In mid April I started logging again and upping my exercise and I’m now less than a pound away from losing those 6 lbs to return to my ideal maintenance weight. I just wish they’d open the pools and beaches where I live, I really miss going for a swim!
  • mjhurry
    mjhurry Posts: 29 Member
    Oooh, I'm 82.6kg right now, if I could hit 70kg by the end of the year I'll be over the moon. Also, I will be very impressed with myself if I can do 20 full push-ups by then.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    How's everyone doing on their goals for 2020? I'm hoping Coronavirus hasn't stopped you but understand if you had to make some adjustments.

I think I'm about halfway towards the 1000 lb club. I believed myself 123 lbs short at the beginning of the year and I think I'm now only about 60 lbs away. This breaks down to only needing about (3, 15, 40) pounds to my bench, squat, and deadlift respectively. This is an estimate though as my heaviest squat was actually a 317.5 x 4 at RPE 9 and when I reviewed the video footage discovered I was barely shy on depth. Long story. Still need to do more 1 rep maximum attempts but trying to get my squat depth correct first. Also still trying to figure out the best way to strap 30 lb dumbbells to my barbell because my home gym is a bit short on plates such that I can practice deadlifts above 350 lbs. Any suggestions?

I'm fatter than I've ever been at 215 lbs but eating a lot seems to take the lid off of my lifts. Looking forward now to my next cut.

Did everyone reach their Goals for 2020?

I hit my strength peak in May (above) and went through a downward spiral which I'll attribute to new job, life stress, and Covid recovery this month. I haven't been tracking my macros. I know, excuses, excuses.

Here's where I'm at with estimated 1RM's: Bench 217, Squat 273, Deadlift 345 or 835 total which makes me further away from 1000 lbs than I was at the beginning of 2019. If I take my best lifts during all of 2019 I was only 7 lbs shy of 1000... so close, but I never took time to test it.

What I've learned is that I absolutely need to ALWAYS be aware of my 1 rep maximums and test it fairly often. Contributing to my downfall for 2019 was that I worried about program adherence but lost site of my primary goal of making my lift 1RMs go UP. I'm going to tweak my program- quit following the Bridge 2.0 and do a "Bridge-2.0-like" program however continually practice 1RMs with perhaps slightly less volume (been overly sore, too much). I think I was having some real success at the beginning of 2020 when I was running a program like this. I'm most successful when I'm rigorously tracking 1RMs and focusing on making them go up.

Thanks for "listening". Best wishes to you regarding your goals this year and next.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    1. Get lean enough for abs
    2. Recovery from all my injuries
    3. Increase cardio
    4. Increase flexibility
    5. Create and share new meals and desserts recipes.
    6. 275 lb bench

1. Making progress (down 7-8 lbs)
    2. Almost
    3. Completed
    4. Completed
    5. Done (started a FB group for this)
    6. I was making good progress until corona. I had a 1rm of 250. If my gym opens up again, then i hope to hit this.

Still the same. Still working on injury recovery as new ones popped up.
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    300lbs squat and 600lbs leg press by June. 120lbs bicep curl and 250lbs bench.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    15% body fat, please and thank you
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2021
    mjhurry wrote: »
    Oooh, I'm 82.6kg right now, if I could hit 70kg by the end of the year I'll be over the moon. Also, I will be very impressed with myself if I can do 20 full push-ups by then.

just keep trying to do one more push up every time you do them, also push ups are a very advanced exercise and strenuous on your joints because it's difficult to adjust the weight (you can do regular ups or kneeling but that's about all, you can't grab a 15 pounder or a 25 pounder type a thing)

try adjusting your arms as you do them to find your sweet spot, there is no One Way to do push ups, coming from a guy who has alien joints ha ha I struggle with push ups and bench press but I recently learned I am not alone, so keep adjusting your arms, elbows, hands in or out or this or that until you find that spot when you are actually Pushing Up with your chest not just your arms, practice against the wall standing up, see how your arms want to go when you push against the wall, now do the same on the floor

and yes I know you didn't ask for help, ha ha I am sorry, but for some reason the devil made me write this