Chia Seeds- who knew??

2»

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I’m sorry but they just remind me of frog spawn 🤢

Ewww, I'll try not to remember what you said when I eat my pumpkin pie oats this a.m. Lol

I'm just wondering if all these 'good for you' extras are worth the extra cost. 8 bucks for a little bag of chia seeds? Haven't made up my mind yet. I think 1 of the things that drew me to them was their ability to help fill you up. Hoping that's a little bit true? :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Ewww, I'll try not to remember what you said when I eat my pumpkin pie oats this a.m. Lol

I'm just wondering if all these 'good for you' extras are worth the extra cost. 8 bucks for a little bag of chia seeds? Haven't made up my mind yet. I think 1 of the things that drew me to them was their ability to help fill you up. Hoping that's a little bit true? :)

To the bolded: Satiation's going to be almost entirely individual, so you'll soon know. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds#section5

I've heard of them, of course though have never used them. They seem to be the ultimate healthy little morsels in many many ways so I'll definitely be adding them to my grocery list. I found a recipe for making overnight pumpkin pie oats which sounds pretty good and different. I need to do different now, to re-excite my eating plan. :/

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie-overnight-oats/bc04ff57-5078-4264-91d3-636d6cc5ee6b

I wonder how they would go in things like protein muffins?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    I tried them a couple times and they were so bitter and vile. I don't get it.

Hmm, I never notice a taste. I soak them, and then use them in smoothies. Like said above, maybe they were rancid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Best price I've seen for chia seeds was a giant jug by Badia that I got at Walmart.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I am not big on chia pudding...maybe because I just haven't found a recipe I like yet. But I do put them in my smoothies and in my yogurt. I will also sprinkle them on top of muffins.

Yeah, me too. Nutrition's good, but not enough to overcome the sort of "crunchy tapioca" perception, for me.

I'm sticking with other foods (including hemp & milled flax seeds, walnuts) that are tastier, to me. To each her own. :drinker:

Gotta say, Healthline's standards for "proven" are often quite different from mine. Like I said, to each her own. ;)

I love chia pudding (it's the only way I ever have chia seeds, and only rarely). It's not crunchy IME. But for full disclosure I actually like tapioca pudding and also bubble teas. I don't add them to smoothies (I often add other kinds of nuts and seeds), because I think they'd make it too thick.
  • lemurcat2

I think chia aren't really worth it for the nutritional benefits unless you like them. The main thing seems to be healthy fats generally (and for that I am happy with plenty of other nuts and seeds, as well as other sources), and then omega-3, but they are ALA, which we normally can get plenty of, and DHA/EPA seems to be what we are more likely to be short on. You can in theory make them from ALA, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable conversion, so IMO absent fatty fish, supplementing DHA/EPA is probably worth it, whatever ALA sources one has.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I think chia aren't really worth it for the nutritional benefits unless you like them. The main thing seems to be healthy fats generally (and for that I am happy with plenty of other nuts and seeds, as well as other sources), and then omega-3, but they are ALA, which we normally can get plenty of, and DHA/EPA seems to be what we are more likely to be short on. You can in theory make them from ALA, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable conversion, so IMO absent fatty fish, supplementing DHA/EPA is probably worth it, whatever ALA sources one has.

Some recent stuff i have seen on supplementation on DHA/EPA isn't showing much effect. Examine.com has it on IG recently
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    I tried them a couple times and they were so bitter and vile. I don't get it.

Hmm, I never notice a taste. I soak them, and then use them in smoothies. Like said above, maybe they were rancid.

I mean, not only were they fresh from the store, I've tried a few times with the same results.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    I see a 2018 Examine.com article about a study showing little effect of fish oil on CVD in older subjects, but also Examine.com articles suggesting other positive effects and agreeing that ALA is likely not going to be sufficient (if omega-3 is a concern).

I am skeptical about supplementation to some extent (in general, vs relying on foods), but I am not convinced the only potential benefit of omega-3s would be CVD-related, and I also am thinking specifically of populations not getting DHA through foods (i.e., those who don't consume fatty fish or other sources). I think it's a reasonable precaution for the latter, and I don't think just consuming ALA is going to substitute, necessarily.

But it's certainly focusing on the minors, I'd agree (I just find some of the minors interesting).