Winter workouts

cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
What time do y'all workouts on days you go to work? I prefer a short workout in the morning before getting ready for the day, but it feels like there's not enough daylight hours in the winter. I hate waking up before sunrise! It also feels like there's not enough daylight hours after work... I know a possible solution is to workout when it's dark, but that's miserable to me, even indoors. Like my energy level is directly linked to the sun. My weekday is: 7am wake up, 8:10 commute, work 9am-5pm(sometimes 4pm if not busy), commute 30-45min, dark again. I can't see the way to make this work without misery LOL! Also, takes me about an hour to get ready for work, I have coffee & meditation 20min. Don't wanna swap that with workout. Looking for suggestions, or motivation to drudge thru dark workouts

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I like to workout when I get home from work before I start cooking dinner. I'm usually up at 5:30, on the road at 6, home around 4:30pm, and I usually start cooking dinner around 6 or 7, so even if I get hung up in traffic I can fit in some time to change, relax a bit, workout (30-60 min) and then stretch/foam roll before I need to start on dinner.

I have an elliptical and treadmill, plus lots of video/DVD workouts, plus sometimes use paper workouts. I like to change up my workout plan every month or two so I don't get bored.
  • cgcrutch
    I wonder if I can convince my job to let me leave at 3 if I work 8-3 and skip lunch break. I could definitely have daylight hours after work then!
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I prefer morning workouts, but I too struggle with getting up in the dark & cold before work and getting out the door to exericse. So, more often it is after work.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    That’s tough, and I’m definitely with you on this, but maybe it’s just a matter of shifting perspective and building a habit. Maybe you’re not doing exercise you like? So try some experimenting with different things. Or maybe you could combine watching a favorite show on your phone while you cycle or elliptical? Kinda make the activity blend with something you do to unwind. Listen to a podcast while you yoga?

Do you go to the gym? Or do you have your own equipment? What kinds of stuff are you trying to make yourself do in the dark hours?
  • cgcrutch
    @ploomka No, I don't go to the gym. Don't like that unless it's for a class with an instructor. At home I do Pilates type workouts from YouTube. Also love biking but I don't have a bike at the moment, nearest bike rental is at city park a couple neighborhoods over, definitely need daylight for biking in the park. I plan to get a bike and some home equipment next month... I know I could just make myself do the home workouts after dark, don't wanna :s
  • ploomka
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    @ploomka No, I don't go to the gym. Don't like that unless it's for a class with an instructor. At home I do Pilates type workouts from YouTube. Also love biking but I don't have a bike at the moment, nearest bike rental is at city park a couple neighborhoods over, definitely need daylight for biking in the park. I plan to get a bike and some home equipment next month... I know I could just make myself do the home workouts after dark, don't wanna :s

Do you like to dance? I put my music on and just jam out when I don’t feel like “working out”. Can get a ton of steps in that way.

• ploomka
    @cgcrutch I should also mention I lost the first 58 lbs without working out at all. Just diet modifications. I’m not saying don’t exercise, but maybe focus on diet more for a while?