Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eggs are Bad Again

Replies

• weatherwoman94
    weatherwoman94 Posts: 14 Member
    We're adults. We can think for ourselves
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    hotel4dogs wrote: »
    My husband has had a quadruple bypass, a triple bypass, and 6 stents.
    His cardiologist told him not to eat more than 2-4 eggs per month. He says that, if you don't have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, eggs are perfectly okay. But if you do, then they are not.

Yes I have strong family history, my body doesn't process cholesterol like others. I have to limit cheese, eggs etc. I'm fit, slim, doesn't matter..I've had 240 cholesterol in tests in the past. Personal trainer first cousin is similar.
  • kwlaparo
    kwlaparo Posts: 4 Member
    For some balance here, cutting out eggs helped me lower my high cholesterol and my doctor is happy with the difference it made.

I haven't eaten them in over a year and now I think they're kinda gross. You know, bird menstruation and all that...
  • kmsnow2011
    kmsnow2011 Posts: 4 Member
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2019
    kmsnow2011 wrote: »

Yep. Good link.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Well *kitten*! I eat like 6 a day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I don't eat eggs every day but almost. My cholesterol went from 228 last April to 151 now. So if that is bad, give me bad.
  • annie5904
    annie5904 Posts: 84 Member
    This article was of interest to me as my oh has a leaky heart valve. The doctor said cut cholesterol intake as a precaution. His was 5.8 which is nt bad. So no processed meat and no more than 2 eggs per week. So either with salad for lunch. Toast. Or we do a cooked vegan style breakfast occasionally. Hash brown scrambled egg, beans, simmered tomatoes and mushrooms. I am mainly plant based so this is normal for me but he loves it and says he doesn't t miss the bacon now. Over Christmas I did a gammon joint. But it was a one off.
    I went to my daughters before Christmas and thought "what is that smell" ....lol it was bacon and I had forgotten what it smells like.
    Annie x
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Why oh why were we not told a million years ago that eggs are so terribly bad for us - and by extension - anything which comes out of an egg such as bird - like creatures, crocodiles, turtles, snails and what - have you - must be avoided at all cost? Mankind would be so much better without any kind and form of eggs! :)
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    who do you believe when someone says there bad but others say their good,
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I wish they'd quit selling these types of studies like they really mean anything.

Saying people who ate eggs (among who knows what else) are at a higher risk of anything isn't proof that the eggs are a problem. Now, what they need to do if they want to study the effects of eggs on people is looks at the actual science of lipid metabolism.

The issue with high cholesterol is usually nothing to do with eating too much cholesterol. Our body produces most of the cholesterol in our system. Many, many studies have been done that show that an increase in cholesterol in the diet doesn't increase cardiovascular disease.

In fact, it seems that over consumption of carbs stimulates increased production of cholesterol by the liver. Also, if people are eating healthy otherwise (not over eating) the body will not produce as much cholesterol and also you will be eating more HDL containing foods like fish, fish oil, nuts, seeds, beans, fibrous fruits which raise HDL. HDL helps eliminate cholesterol from the blood stream and walls of your arteries.

Bottom line, dietary cholesterol is only an issue if you have a poor diet, don't exercise, over eat and also are genetically predisposed to your body creating excessive cholesterol. Essentially you have to be doing all those things at once for dietary cholesterol to matter.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2020
    I don't eat animal products, but this appears to be long-term correlation based on diet journal which means there will be multiple confounding variables and no causation. Generally, it's unwise to make dietary decisions based on correlation research alone. The most interesting finding was the effect seemed to be larger in those of lower bmi vs those of higher.

I believe https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2728487 is the study referenced.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2020
    liftingbro wrote: »
    The issue with high cholesterol is usually nothing to do with eating too much cholesterol. Our body produces most of the cholesterol in our system. Many, many studies have been done that show that an increase in cholesterol in the diet doesn't increase cardiovascular disease.

Really?....From the link in the previous post. Yes the cholesterol & eggs can be bad.

Question Is consuming dietary cholesterol or eggs associated with incident cardiovascular disease (CVD) and all-cause mortality?

Findings Among 29 615 adults pooled from 6 prospective cohort studies in the United States with a median follow-up of 17.5 years, each additional 300 mg of dietary cholesterol consumed per day was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD (adjusted hazard ratio
    , 1.17; adjusted absolute risk difference [ARD], 3.24%) and all-cause mortality (adjusted HR, 1.18; adjusted ARD, 4.43%), and each additional half an egg consumed per day was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD (adjusted HR, 1.06; adjusted ARD, 1.11%) and all-cause mortality (adjusted HR, 1.08; adjusted ARD, 1.93%).

Meaning Among US adults, higher consumption of dietary cholesterol or eggs was significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD and all-cause mortality in a dose-response manner.

• cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    I don't know the answer, but I love eggs. I would eat about 2 dozen in a week as my only protein source. I also have CVD and have given up most meat because of it.

Then there is the sugar conspiracy. Is it really the fault of sugar and not eggs? I don't know if that's the answer, either, but I have also cut back a lot on my sugar. No more ice cream for me.

I am now eating mostly brown rice, corn, beans, vegetables, salmon and turkey. These changes have been incremental over a couple of months. So far my cholesterol has dropped 10% to 205. Hoping it drops more so my CVD doesn't get worse. (I have bad side effects from statins, so I refuse to take them.)
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Cannot and will not give up eggs lol

With you all the way!
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    I changed my diet months ago, to a diet very similar to Keto, I eat 2 deviled eggs every weekday and dippy eggs on the week end. My last blood test all my numbers where spot on. Before this, i had extremely high triglycerides and high cholesterol. I think I'm staying with my eggs....at one time margarine was a healthy alternative to butter.