Water weight

Do you ever get disheartened when the scale goes up a few pounds (and you haven't had any slips) logically I know its water (it has to be) but mentally I find it really deflating.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    When I first started it got to me. Now I am used to it lol! I just watch for the downward trend. For some its best to not weigh daily, instead weekly or even monthly if the numbers really mess with ur head
  • si1993uk
    si1993uk Posts: 90 Member
    When I first started it got to me. Now I am used to it lol! I just watch for the downward trend. For some its best to not weigh daily, instead weekly or even monthly if the numbers really mess with ur head

Yeah I think you're right!
    It's hard to fight the temptation though lol
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    It's hard to ignore and I've been on this journey for years. That said you've got to learn to not obsess with the scale and just continue working and logging. If you are doing that and you are in calorie deficit weight will come off....
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm in maintenance after losing 100 pounds. I have been in maintenance for 2+ years. I save calories during the week so I can go out to eat on the weekend, and my weight fluctuates on a completely predictable pattern each week. It's at the top of my maintenance range on Sunday or Monday, stays there for a day or two, then starts dropping quickly. It hits the middle of my maintenance range around Friday. Then the cycle starts over again.

I know that all this is water/waste fluctuation because I eat bigger meals, often with more carbs and/or sodium, on Saturday and/or Sunday. I know it's not fat. Am I a little unhappy to see the scale go up on Monday? Sure, but that's mostly because I spent years learning that scale number going up = bad. In reality, it's not bad; it's normal. It bothered me far less once I learned how that cycle works and came to trust that it was not fat gain.

If you can come to terms with normal water/waste fluctuations, you will have a better time. It can be hard to do that, but it's worthwhile.
  • HannahSharpePT
    HannahSharpePT Posts: 11 Member
    Yes me too girl! As long as there is a downward trend over time it’s totally find! My weight this week has been up n down line crazy! 🙈
  • 1972ChrisJG
    1972ChrisJG Posts: 43 Member
    Be patient and stay strong. Try not to obsess over the scales.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    I’ve been pretty much maintaining for 4-5 yrs but I’m still a slave to the scale. I know better, but still.... We should use other metrics, such as measurements and photos. Still, I weigh everyday and the more I see the fluctuations, the more I understand them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    No, because it's completely normal...it means my body is functioning as it should.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    It doesn't bother me, if I know I haven't eaten enough to gain as much as I'm seeing on the scale.

Everyone is different, but weighing daily, and recording it, and doing that for a long time (at least a month or more), really helped me.

I learned the patterns of my body: What kinds of things would cause meaningless temporary scale jumps, how long they'd take to drop away again, and that sort of thing. It took away the scale's power to stress me, and my daily weight just became a daily data point about my body's momentary relationship with gravity, not a measurement of my self-worth.

These days, I find it helpful to put my daily weight in a weight trending app. I use Libra for Android, but iOS users use Happy Scale, and there are web-based ones like Trendweight, among others.

These still can mislead: They're just tools doing statistical projections, not some kind of magical crystal ball. But they do try to dampen out the daily fluctuations, and show longer-term effects.
  • nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    It would freak me out too at first, just keep hydrated tonflush it all out ! :)
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Take your weight first thing in the morning before eating or drinking.