Putting things in place now for maintenance

LotusCass
LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
edited January 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I’ve just started my 4th attempt at losing and maintaining. Each year I lose around 10kgs and almost reach my goal weight, then something in my mindset does a complete 180 and I stop everything. I don’t know why it happens but I just stop caring about how I look and feel. It’s like a switch goes off in my head and I want to feel free to eat what I like. I know what I’m doing when I stop tracking, stop weighing and eat anything, but I just say to myself I don’t care. I gain all the weight back on again each time, sometimes more. This time round I need to do something different obviously. I’ve joined WW for the accountability and routine of attending meetings and weigh-ins, but that may not help either as I’ll probably just stop going. Has anyone else been through this and then managed to find a way to maintain and have any advice? I’m pretty sure it’s mindset and that I need to find a way to accept that I must be mindful of what I put in my body all the time, but not sure how to do that.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    If maintaining is the issue, what if you found an exercise program that fits your lifestyle? For example, just plain walking, or going hiking, dancing, play tennis, golf, whatever you like to do so it'd be easier to get it into your life and stick with it? IOW, become more active physically so you burn the calories?
  • LotusCass
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely finding a fitness activity I enjoy is essential. I’m currently doing a trial at some different gyms as I know classes are my thing so I want to find one I really enjoy.
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    Maintaining is a tough one and I’m very new at it so... But I searched around for maintenance support type info and have listened to the podcast “half size me” quite a bit just for perspectives from a regular person who’s done it. She has other sources besides the podcast if you’re not into that. I put it on while on the treadmill or walking and listen to a few others as well just to see what has worked for other maintainers. Good luck! You can do it!

Yes I think this kind of thing might really help. I have a meditation app I use for sleep and I just checked and they have weight loss meditations too. I might try that as well.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    Oh and 1 more thing. Some of us are all or nothing versus moderating types. You have to know yourself. It is not sustainable to restrict yourself from foods you love long term. But there are pretty decent low calorie alternatives on the market these days. So if your achilles heel is say peanut butter. Try PB2. Or Ice cream? Try Enlighten or Yasso yogurt bars. I used to love blue bell ice cream. I could eat a pint or 2 every evening (and that's about 2K cals!!!!!). Now it's really too sweet. I tried to go back to it when I started maintaining and I have to say I adore the Enlighten chocolate for a mere 280 a pint. And they are a little pricey but my store is constantly putting out coupons. etc.

Just more to think about as to how you can get off the merry go round. ;)
  • LotusCass
    Wow thanks everyone, there’s a lot for me to think about. I do need to embrace the ‘eat for health’ idea. I also feel a bit like I’m an all or nothing person and that may contribute; I find it hard to find the middle ground in maintenance. I’ll take all those ideas on board. Thanks so much!
  • iromoorevic
    iromoorevic Posts: 1 Member
    Keep pushing strong and do not give up, believe me you will reach your goals
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    welcome back 🌸🌼🌸
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    It's wonderful that you didn't give up entirely and walk away but instead are back in the saddle again. Not everybody does that.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,242 Member
    So many great approaches & ideas here...

I wasn’t a yo-yo dieter after the first 3 times losing & then mindlessly gaining it all back. One time because I didn’t like the saggy skin/wrinkles, one time (I realize now 20’s) was due to lack of sleep (new mom age 30) and no exercise routine post delivery, and the third, all I was doing was riding my bike for hours (did centuries age 50), fixing the bike, napping, sleeping, working. Rather than being more moderate, I flat out stopped & didn’t weigh myself - regained astonishingly quickly. Each time 65-75 lbs.

So for me, it’s about Health. I have experienced the catastrophic effects of my eating for taste, not health, of chronic stress (deaths in family in accident, loss of pregnancy, perfectionism at work, huge commute), and habits formed growing up with two obese, non-exercising parents.

So, I developed Chronic Kidney Disease 2003. I couldn’t walk more than 1/2 mile, had 3-5 Lille calf cramps each night, insomnia, extreme fatigue & near the end, my skin color turned a pale get-yellowish.

14 years later, I was lucky enough to receive a transplant from a living donor. (I’d lost 37 lbs prior over 20 months- very small baby habit changes.)

You get a lot of labs as the Txplant team works to adjust your anti-rejection meds. And I saw a connection that is so obvious you will all laugh...

But...what we Choose to Eat gets broken down to nutrients and those are what are measured in your blood & urine labs. Not rocket science. I switched from Taste to Health. Joined apps, tracked macros. Got an Apple Watch - upped my steps. Lost the final 40-45 lbs.

So, if that isn’t enough, I had such low blood pressure (and all excellent labs) post-Txplant due to healthy eating & daily 10K steps that my PCP & my nephrologist both told me to eat more salt.
    So I did & that opened up eating out again, which I did with gusto over our Dec vacation...

And guess what, my blood pressure skyrocketed (for me) to 134-140 over 84-87. Hypertension Stage 1. Usually 110-115/70-75 I freaked out.

Docs said take bp daily for a week & if still up we’ll put you on small dose no meds daily.

NO No No!!! NO WAY! Woke UP. Stopped playing around. Told myself: “This is no joke.” I knew my regular diet would take care of this again.

Back to eating solely at home. Back to low salt.

Blood pressure already back to 124/81 after 1 day. Scale going down.

Almost there. (Needs to be under 120 & under 80)

Lesson learned. I cannot eat like others. So be it. I choose Health.

So, perhaps get some labs done. Hopefully, they are all great!!! But if not, avoid the suffering that many of us go through, eat for Health. Your Future Self will THANK YOU as you climb 9 miles in the mountains & are not even sore the next day!!! Our bodies are amazing if we care for them.

I applaud your reaching out. I wish I had been as wise as you - more than you can probably imagine.

Maddie 💕
    63 years old
    228.3–>160
    Headed back down to 157.
    Maintenance since April 2019 or Nov 2018

Inspired by you thanks.