Is keto right for me?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Momeri1113 wrote: »
    I thought that drinking water with salt could potential kill you. It dehydrates you because water in your body will move from areas with less salt to areas with higher salt. Also, the diet already adds so much salt becuase of the meat and dairy. The further I get into this, the more I was to modify to make it more like a low carb dash diet or something. Eating so much meat and dairy is not typical for me.

That's one of the things I didn't like about it when I did it. I was eating much more meat than normal. There are ways to try to get more of the fat from plants if you have access to avocado and add more nuts and seeds and olives (if you like them) and olive oil (dressings on salad and such) to your diet. You may tick up a bit in carbs but typically the net carbs can be a bit higher than 20 anyway -- I'd maybe start by aiming for net of 35 g if it's tough.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I thought that drinking water with salt could potential kill you. It dehydrates you because water in your body will move from areas with less salt to areas with higher salt. Also, the diet already adds so much salt becuase of the meat and dairy. The further I get into this, the more I was to modify to make it more like a low carb dash diet or something. Eating so much meat and dairy is not typical for me.

I think this is why dieting is so difficult for many. We know that it is incontestable that if you eat less than you burn and eliminate you will lose weight. Without supplements, denial of food groups, timing of meals, sodium reduction, etc.

But here we are with a new dieter experimenting with all manner of strategies, other than the correct one.

Very disturbing to me.

Nonetheless, best of luck.

The statement in bold couldn't be MORE TRUE!
  • Momeri1113
    Momeri1113 Posts: 57 Member

I think this is why dieting is so difficult for many. We know that it is incontestable that if you eat less than you burn and eliminate you will lose weight. Without supplements, denial of food groups, timing of meals, sodium reduction, etc.

But here we are with a new dieter experimenting with all manner of strategies, other than the correct one.

Very disturbing to me.

What exactly is the correct manner? I'm focusing on eating healthy and have a calorie deficit.
  • Momeri1113
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Very disturbing to me.

What exactly is the correct manner? I'm focusing on eating healthy and have a calorie deficit.

Keto may be a way to eat healthfully**, but it's not the only way.

** Personally, I'm not anti-keto, but there's debate in the world at large about whether it actually is healthy to fuel that way long term. Of course some of its advocates say it's the healthiest, but advocates of other very different diets say the same (for one example, whole food plant based). All can bring out research studies in support.

I have nothing against keto (or WFPB), I think they're fine for those they suit. But there's IMO no One True Way.

I don't keto, personally. I pretty much do a balanced macros, slightly high protein, mostly nutrient dense, mostly lower-processed food approach, because I think it's a healthy diet, and I personally most enjoy eating that way. It's been successful for weight loss and 4+ years of maintenance, for me, when coupled with calorie counting.

I'm also vegetarian, but that's my preference for other reasons: I don't think it has any special health benefits, and actually makes sound nutrition just a teeny, tiny bit more challenging.

I don't keto, and wouldn't unless medically dictated, because it wouldn't let me eat the quantity and variety of veggies and fruits I most enjoy. I expect people eating keto can get the required minimums of veggies, but I prefer really, really a lot of veggies; and most ketoers do severely - by my standards - limit fruit. Also, low carb doesn't prevent cravings, for me, it creates them. (I tried it a long time back.)

If keto suits you, OP, that's great. You're getting the response you are because you've mentioned a couple of ways in which it isn't pleasant/long-term sustainable for you, so we're suggesting considering calorie counting for weight management, plus any healthy way of eating you most enjoy and find permanently appealing.

Named diets are optional. That's the point.

That is all very well said. Today I increased my carbs and feel great! I'd like to eventually settle on moderate carbs so that I can get the best variety.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    You only like 1200 calories naturally. How 'bout just tracking your MFP data points until you can get your sea legs back. You can always go keto on down the road but you need your energy and stamina. Eat the things you enjoy and monitor your portions and your body might naturally want more calories right now with a new baby. Take care of yourself, Mama. ;)

He's 14 months old. I tried it that way for over a year :/ and this really does get rid of my cravings. That's why I don't want to give up just yet

I think from what you've said giving keto a try is a good idea. Upping your salt some should help with the keto flu, so the remaining issue is eating more. Does MFP give you a calorie goal? Ways to eat more on keto should not be hard, as high fat foods are quite caloric -- add in some nuts or maybe have some cheese, stuff like that. Make sure you aren't sticking to old habits like low fat options.

My challenge is fitting high fats into low carb. I set my goals to what my hand calculated BMR and TDEE is. I don't purposefully choose low fat food, and I've never really been one to buy into the low fat hype. I'm lactose intolerant, so milk wise I usually choose nut milk, skim or 1% but other than that I usually choose full fat things - especially now that I have to buy full fats for my son.

You don't need to fit high fat into the diet. It comes along naturally with most of the protein you eat, that fits within your calorie deficit.

3 weeks is generally the adaptation period before most people typically bounce back to feeling normal, but electrolytes, mainly sodium, need to be increased. Around 5000 mg of sodium per day. You may need more depending on activity.

“The diuretic (dehydrating) nature of ketosis causes an excretion of three of the body’s primary electrolytes: sodium, potassium, and magnesium (31,40). These three minerals are involved in many processes in the body, one of which is the regulation of muscle contraction, including the heart. Some studies show a net loss of calcium while others do not. (31).

And after about three weeks your muscles adapts to using mostly fat over glucose/ketones, allowing your glycogen stores to go up again. As described previously, muscles will derive up to 50% of their energy requirements from ketones during the first few days of ketosis. However, this drops rapidly and by the third week of ketosis, muscles derive less only 4-6% of their energy from ketone bodies. (22).”
    - Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    I've tried keto before for a month and was miserable the entire time. I was never full, always craving things, and constantly irritated. It was too much work to try and cut out carbs or substantially minimize it because there are A LOT of foods that are off limits.

Counting calories is the only thing that has worked for me and I've tried everything before. If I'm craving a bag of chips, cookie, whatever else, I can eat it as long as I remain consistent with the rest of my meals and budget those snacks into my calories. On keto, one high carb meal and it can kick you out of ketosis. Kudos to those that are able to maintain that lifestyle, it's too hard for me.
  • Momeri1113
    Blooperss wrote: »
    I've tried keto before for a month and was miserable the entire time. I was never full, always craving things, and constantly irritated. It was too much work to try and cut out carbs or substantially minimize it because there are A LOT of foods that are off limits.

Counting calories is the only thing that has worked for me and I've tried everything before. If I'm craving a bag of chips, cookie, whatever else, I can eat it as long as I remain consistent with the rest of my meals and budget those snacks into my calories. On keto, one high carb meal and it can kick you out of ketosis. Kudos to those that are able to maintain that lifestyle, it's too hard for me.

I 'gave up' keto last night. I'm still eating low carbish but trying to do more of the intuitive eating thing. While I wasn't usually hungry on keto, and I enjoyed the lack of cravings, it just wasn't right for me. It also made me super anxious all the time and then I couldn't tell what symptoms were from the keto or the anxiety. My doctor did once told me to never do keto and sent me to a nutritionist (this was also while I was pregnant) who said that keto is good for a very small group of people and they are finding that for some people, it cause more issues that it solves. I'm just might not be one of the people that benefit other than in the weight loss aspect.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    You may find just somewhat lower carb is as effective for the cravings as keto. I found moderate to lower carb (100-120 g) helpful at first when on a deficit, and when I later tried keto I didn't notice any extra benefits for me in terms of appetite or cravings. (I haven't been tracking for a while and when I recently started again and ate like I do for a small deficit I seem to be coming in naturally around 150.)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I don't consider anything but calories. Having said that, since I am making food choices all day, every day, I find that calorie dense carbs are way down. I don't think about them at all, but I don't see a bowl of potato chips on my log. And, pasta is usually 2 oz. So, I guess you could call it a low carb diet.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    This has to be the worst FAD diet i have heard about. When will CICO be the norm? IS it just me, or do others feel the same way that Keto, is for people who haven't grasped the Factual CICO?
  • lwilliams6486
    lwilliams6486 Posts: 12 Member
    I have a multi vitamin everyday and a zero hydration tablet added to water. Never suffered with headaches or keto flu.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Very disturbing to me.

Keto may be a way to eat healthfully**, but it's not the only way.

** Personally, I'm not anti-keto, but there's debate in the world at large about whether it actually is healthy to fuel that way long term. Of course some of its advocates say it's the healthiest, but advocates of other very different diets say the same (for one example, whole food plant based). All can bring out research studies in support.

I have nothing against keto (or WFPB), I think they're fine for those they suit. But there's IMO no One True Way.

I don't keto, personally. I pretty much do a balanced macros, slightly high protein, mostly nutrient dense, mostly lower-processed food approach, because I think it's a healthy diet, and I personally most enjoy eating that way. It's been successful for weight loss and 4+ years of maintenance, for me, when coupled with calorie counting.

I'm also vegetarian, but that's my preference for other reasons: I don't think it has any special health benefits, and actually makes sound nutrition just a teeny, tiny bit more challenging.

I don't keto, and wouldn't unless medically dictated, because it wouldn't let me eat the quantity and variety of veggies and fruits I most enjoy. I expect people eating keto can get the required minimums of veggies, but I prefer really, really a lot of veggies; and most ketoers do severely - by my standards - limit fruit. Also, low carb doesn't prevent cravings, for me, it creates them. (I tried it a long time back.)

If keto suits you, OP, that's great. You're getting the response you are because you've mentioned a couple of ways in which it isn't pleasant/long-term sustainable for you, so we're suggesting considering calorie counting for weight management, plus any healthy way of eating you most enjoy and find permanently appealing.

Named diets are optional. That's the point.

I find it interesting that people are disagreeing with a person who has successfully lost the weight & has maintained it for 4 years.

Common sense for the long-term- your diet shouldn’t feel like torture and make you sick. Is it really sustainable to keep major food groups out of your diet forever, or does it make more sense to eat what you’d like but with moderation and balance?
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Keto is right for you if it's something you can stick with. The eating plan that is right for you is the one that you can do without thinking about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Most of the keto posters on MFP acknowledge that CICO is what determines weight loss, gain, or maintenance, and many or most of them track calories. I'm not keto, didn't see any benefits from keto when I tried it briefly, but keto and CICO work together, since CICO is just a reference to how calories work, not a diet.

Absolutely. I do keto because it helps me control cravings, which makes it more sustainable.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Propel, people, Propel. It’s at the the DollarTree for $1. It’ll cure the “keto flu” and hydrate you. I say about two a day.