Last diet ever - intermittent fasting

This is my last diet if it doesn't work I will do surgery. I have been on diet for the past 30years. I'm trying the intermittent fasting but haven't lost as much as I could have.
I need help and support

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    How would surgery help? You still have to do the work. It’s not a miracle cure, and there’s always a risk with any surgery.
  • trailrunner64
    trailrunner64 Posts: 14 Member
    @missysippy930 well said - and you can add if a person have surgery it is a very restrictive life style if someone decide to have it.
    One of my suggestions I have for you @nabilondon82 would be to read Jason Fung's book "the obesity code" ( I know several public libraries who carries the book) - he and his partner Megan Ramos also have a lot of good informatin on Youtube. You will be more successful if you do your homework first.

A few additional things to think of
    -don't view it as a diet - but as a lifestyle make over.
    - look at food as medicine to get healthier
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    You sound discouraged and that makes people do desperate things. We've all been on tons of diets. But, to be successful have to find a healthy eating plan that works for you.

I tried IF too...what you do is starve yourself for most the day and put up an eating window when you can eat..but the catch is. you still have to stick to your calories. It isn't like you can eat all you want during your eating window. so It pretty much sucks and screws with your metabolism.

I went did that...adkins..and even that cabbage soup diet before I really lost all my weight. I honestly believe those fad diets put extra weight on me.

I finally went to an all whole foods diet..no processed foods. I didn't count calories.. I eat six times a day..which all day long..I drink a lot of water.. and cut out sugar and salt. Who would have thought eating a healthy diet of all the vegetables and lean meats I want would work? It did and I feel great.

Don't give up or give in. you can take control.

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    "I tried IF too...what you do is starve yourself for most the day and put up an eating window when you can eat..but the catch is. you still have to stick to your calories. It isn't like you can eat all you want during your eating window. so It pretty much sucks and screws with your metabolism."
    So much false information in that statement.

I agree with reading the Obesity Code by Fung and also Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. Fasting can and does work for many people. There are many other benefits when fasting besides losing weight.

Surgery is an option but like stated. I know of a couple of folks who have kept their weight off after the surgery but also know of a few who gained the weight back because you still have to do the work mentally and physically.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I IF without actually doing IF. I start eating at 7 am and stop at 7 pm. Seriously, just eat a balanced diet, stay within your calorie deficit, and measure everything you put in your mouth with a food scale. Don't make it miserable on yourself.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    IF is awesome, it helps you lose the weight then helps you keep it off.

It's not for everyone, but if it does fit you it's a lifesaver.

My top tips are:
    # read "the obesity code", as it's fascinating & explaines the science behind fasting.
    # start slow, just push breakfast back an hour a day till your at lunch.
    # choose an eating window that fits your life (I do 20/4 most of the time).
    # Don't worry too much about calories, just try to eat a really balanced healthy diet within your eating window. (Be sensible though).
    # avoid sweeteners (they can lower your blood sugar & make you crave sweet things)
    # Feast & Fast. Enjoy the occasions (dates, weddings holidays etc), then fast during 'normal life.
    #Try to think of it as a new lifestyle rather than a diet.

Good luck, and remember that everyone's rooting for you🤩
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

My top tips are:
    # read "the obesity code", as it's fascinating & explaines the science behind fasting.
    # Don't worry too much about calories, just try to eat a really balanced healthy diet within your eating window. (Be sensible though).
    # avoid sweeteners (they can lower your blood sugar & make you crave sweet things)
    # Feast & Fast. Enjoy the occasions (dates, weddings holidays etc), then fast during 'normal life.

Wow... not even going to respond to the bold...... Ill let someone else do it for me..... :*
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    This is my last diet if it doesn't work I will do surgery. I have been on diet for the past 30years. I'm trying the intermittent fasting but haven't lost as much as I could have.
    I need help and support

The best diet is the one that works for you. It could be IF, or keto or whole30, or Any other diet or combination of diets.

How are you finding IF? What eating window are you doing? Do you find the fasting difficult?

Help & support is what this app should be for, so how can we help??

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    psychod787 wrote: »

My top tips are:

Wow... not even going to respond to the bold...... Ill let someone else do it for me..... :*

I’ll bite.
    @purplebobkat, calories is the thing you should worry most about. The only way weight is lost is by eating less calories than your body burns, no matter what plan you follow.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2020
    @missysippy930 well said - and you can add if a person have surgery it is a very restrictive life style if someone decide to have it.
    One of my suggestions I have for you @nabilondon82 would be to read Jason Fung's book "the obesity code" ( I know several public libraries who carries the book) - he and his partner Megan Ramos also have a lot of good informatin on Youtube. You will be more successful if you do your homework first.

A few additional things to think of
    -don't view it as a diet - but as a lifestyle make over.
    - look at food as medicine to get healthier

Read it.... not what I would consider too accurate. If I were to suggest two books.....

1.The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
    Book by David A. Kessler <---- more basic
    2.The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts That Make Us Overeat
    Book by Stephan J. Guyenet<---- a little more advanced.

Cheers....
    Dalon

**edit** If you are interested in the reference and scientific accuracy of some health and nutrition books, check out https://www.redpenreviews.org
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    "I tried IF too...what you do is starve yourself for most the day and put up an eating window when you can eat..but the catch is. you still have to stick to your calories. It isn't like you can eat all you want during your eating window. so It pretty much sucks and screws with your metabolism."
    So much false information in that statement.

I agree with reading the Obesity Code by Fung and also Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. Fasting can and does work for many people. There are many other benefits when fasting besides losing weight.

Surgery is an option but like stated. I know of a couple of folks who have kept their weight off after the surgery but also know of a few who gained the weight back because you still have to do the work mentally and physically.

Nope..,not a false statement.. very true.. I was on the IF group thread here on MFP and that was the consensus after being there for a while.. CICO..in a teeny tiny eating window.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Anyone who reads my posts on here knows I’m an advocate for food diary supported calorie counting. It works.

But it drives some people crazy.

So big picture, what are we trying to do? I think it’s learn to live, including eat, within some reasonable limits. But how?

Of course it’s true that no one will lose weight without a calorie deficit. But if your path to finding livable limits is IF, good for you.

Never quit. Good luck OP. Hope you’ve found something that works for you.

And agreeing with @nuttyfamily, of the few folks I’ve seen, 3 of 4 regained a lot.