Alternative Sweets?

Hey all!

Maintaining my weight at this point. But I have a huge sweet tooth. Any advice on specific sweet alternatives for chocolate or ice creams? I'm a person that loves rich flavors. But I'm looking for something to control that craving to help with splurging. (example, sometimes I keep 90% dark chocolate on hand).

Any suggestions is helpful!

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    It depends on your ability to keep sweets in the house without overeating. I struggle with this, so I find something I like, but do not love. For chocolate I keep pudding cups in the fridge cause I'll only eat one. And every 2 or 3 weeks, I will buy a 2-pack of Chilly Cow Ice Cream, but don't buy more cause I'll eat it all.

Rather an experimental process for each of us. Wish you the best.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited January 2020
    I've been really into the Chocolate Hummus from Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area. Keep in mind that it's not going to taste like chocolate ice cream or a tub of chocolate icing. IMO it doesn't have a weird "hummus" taste either and is a good lightly sweet taste. I've tried it with an apple and raspberries because that's what I had on hand. I'm sure strawberries would be good too. I typically eat 2 servings (4 tablespoons) which is still only 100 calories. It also helps me get in a serving of fruit/makes the fruit a lot more interesting.

For ice cream, some of the Halo Top flavors are good but I found it wasn't great for me because I need to work on portion sizes. While I technically could fit in a whole pint into my calorie day, I don't need to be eating a whole pint of ice cream. For me that just leads to eating a whole pint of "real" ice cream later. I now prefer Chilly Cow because it comes in more reasonable servings and also tastes more like real ice cream.
  • KalesBagel
    KalesBagel Posts: 20 Member
    I like bakers chocolate, the 100% cocoa, but I know not everyone likes that.

Also, I've started eating plain Greek yogurt with cucumbers and in a weird way that seemed to help with my sweet tooth.

Also, it's hard to over indulge on fruit usually (not for everyone), so sometimes I'll keep fruit around since I'm less likely to grab it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I've been really into the Chocolate Hummus from Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area. Keep in mind that it's not going to taste like chocolate ice cream or a tub of chocolate icing. IMO it doesn't have a weird "hummus" taste either and is a good lightly sweet taste. I've tried it with an apple and raspberries because that's what I had on hand. I'm sure strawberries would be good too. I typically eat 2 servings (4 tablespoons) which is still only 100 calories. It also helps me get in a serving of fruit/makes the fruit a lot more interesting.

For ice cream, some of the Halo Top flavors are good but I found it wasn't great for me because I need to work on portion sizes. While I technically could fit in a whole pint into my calorie day, I don't need to be eating a whole pint of ice cream. For me that just leads to eating a whole pint of "real" ice cream later. I now prefer Chilly Cow because it comes in more reasonable servings and also tastes more like real ice cream.

I like the chocolate hummus with ricotta on toast. But it doesn't really taste like chocolate to me.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Split Dates, peanut butter ( or any type of nut butter come to that ) with a little dark chocolate
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    A bit of sugar-free chocolate pudding mix whipped into some plain greek yogurt helps to blunt my chocolate cravings. I imagine that using one of the low-calorie alt-milks instead would cut calories even further.
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Those Fudgsicle 'no sugar added' bars only have 40 calories. They helped me in the past. I also go for sugar free jello and puddings.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    KalesBagel wrote: »

Also, I've started eating plain Greek yogurt with cucumbers and in a weird way that seemed to help with my sweet tooth.

Also, it's hard to over indulge on fruit usually (not for everyone), so sometimes I'll keep fruit around since I'm less likely to grab it.

Okay, a) gotta give that a try; b) how on earth did you stumble across that?!; and c) it really does go to show that the possibilities are endless!

If I'm craving something like a Snickers (doesn't happen too often, but it does happen), I love a date with maybe 15g almond butter and a little bit of sea salt. (similar to @wendyheath32 but I find dates have a chocolate-ish flavour of their own)

I also will have portioned out servings of the gummy sweets I love. I keep them in MFP and put them in my diary before I leave work for the day. But I can just have one serving (when I've pre-measured it) generally. I have a history of eating way too many dried fruits, so they get the same treatment.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    Halo top Ice cream. I just tried the blueberry crumble one last night, so good.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I usually try a cup of coffee with real whipping cream or a can of Zevia soda. Most times that helps my sweet craving. If not, I make my own hot chocolate (113 cal, 1.4 g fat, 11 g carbs, 4.8 g protein) if I have not met my daily macro/cal intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    * Fruit (including experimenting with less standard (to me) ones like jackfruit, guavas, rambutan, whatever),
    * unsugared dried fruit in small portions (especially mangos),
    * Frozen Yasso Greek yogurt bars (100 cals but some nutrition),
    * small but rich individual chocolate,
    * Frozen unsugared fruit (especially dark cherries or mixed berries) mixed with mixed-together nonfat Greek yogurt and chocolate PB2
    * Individual cups of Edy's slow-churned (reduced calorie but not artificially sweetened) ice cream (around 180 calories, but I don't find things like Halo top satisfying, and find artificial sweeteners unpleasant-tasting)

I'm really more of a savory/salty snacker, though, so things like crispy broad beans, pickles, a small portion of rich cheese on a couple lower-cal crackers - that sort of thing.
  • cindypalmer007
    cindypalmer007 Posts: 2 Member
    Crepini (egg white califlower crepe) from costco. Neutral wrapper, good for sweet or savory (0 carb, 8 calories)
    Add filling ie: 1/2 Tb. almond butter + swerve brown sugar + pecan bits...or any filling that works on your plan. I like to start with my last food for the day (sweet) and move backwards twards breakfast on MFP when Im planning for the day.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i like a mini kind bar or rice cake w/pnut butter and a little jelly. I also eat a little choc every day, a little, maybe 1 candy kiss. I freeze them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    katsheare wrote: »
    KalesBagel wrote: »

Okay, a) gotta give that a try; b) how on earth did you stumble across that?!; and c) it really does go to show that the possibilities are endless!

If I'm craving something like a Snickers (doesn't happen too often, but it does happen), I love a date with maybe 15g almond butter and a little bit of sea salt. (similar to @wendyheath32 but I find dates have a chocolate-ish flavour of their own)

I also will have portioned out servings of the gummy sweets I love. I keep them in MFP and put them in my diary before I leave work for the day. But I can just have one serving (when I've pre-measured it) generally. I have a history of eating way too many dried fruits, so they get the same treatment.

It's a known snack/side dish in some regions. Greek yogurt, grated or cubed cucumbers (I like cubed for the texture), pressed garlic, dried mint (enough to give it a speckled look but not so much as to overpower), and salt. Very tasty. You could also add EVOO, but that adds calories I can do without, so I leave it out.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I put cacao powder (not cocoa powder, this is straight ground up cacao nibs with no sugar added) in everything. Coffee, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, almond butter. Cacao powder and vanilla extract. It’s too bitter for most people but if you like 90% dark chocolate you would probably enjoy it. Berries for sweetness sometimes. I use Zint brand. About ten calories’ worth turns anything into a rich dark chocolate treat.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Since you like/miss ice cream, you might like this. It's like 'Protein Fluff' minus the protein powder...The protein powder would most likely thicken it up too. And the flavor used would make it taste pretty good too I'm assuming...
    I also absolutely LOVE dark cocoa powder...10 calories/tbsp. - get to mix in yogurt or I even mix it into cottage cheese with stevia/sweetener.

Equipment:

You NEED to have a powerful blender - like a Vitamix (I have a Ninja 'Professional' blender)

First - to make a chocolate/mocha one (my favorite):

1/8 cup of cold strong coffee into blender
    Add 3/4 tsp. to 1 tsp. of Xanthum gum (keeps it less icy and really thickens it up – I also find it gives it ‘texture’)
    1 -2tbsp.bdvo9mffnxsj.jpg
    of vanilla/caramel extract and sweetener of choice ( I use Stevia)
    *I’ve been now using stevia along with some Salted Chocolate/Espresso Jordan Skinny Syrup too!
    2+TBSP. of dark cocoa powder (or more if you like)
    Add 1/4 tray of ice - blender to break up. Add another ¼ and blend. Keep adding ice cubes until you get ‘right’ consistency. Blend.

Put in freezer for an hour or so and then it's 'ready' - or just eat the fluff straight away (much more like ice cream though if you freeze it) Add whatever to make it yummy - berries, etc.,

Not bad for around 25-30 calories!

you can make protein fluff without ice, then all you need is electric beaters. Ive made it a few times, you can find recipes online
  • bunnehfais
    bunnehfais Posts: 3 Member
    Fruits, dark chocolate, and Halo Top ice cream are my go tos