Thank you Planet Fitness...

124»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    NJL13500 wrote: »
    I used to have a bad impression of PF until I moved to an area where there are very few offerings. I did deadlifts today with no issues and we actually have a PF360 area with battle ropes and medicine balls and kettle bells and other functional training equipment. There is a good mix of people at my gym and the staff is awesome. I like that someone is always there. I have the $23 membership and love the hydro massages. There are definitely things I wish I had, but the price can’t be beat.

How did you do deadlifts? They don't have platforms or bumper plates.

...or loadable barbells. I’m assuming the facsimile Smith machine version.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2020
    I used to have a bad impression of PF until I moved to an area where there are very few offerings. I did deadlifts today with no issues and we actually have a PF360 area with battle ropes and medicine balls and kettle bells and other functional training equipment. There is a good mix of people at my gym and the staff is awesome. I like that someone is always there. I have the $23 membership and love the hydro massages. There are definitely things I wish I had, but the price can’t be beat.

Neither of those are really required for deadlifts. My LA Fitness has neither of those either. If you're not going for a 1RM or something where it's so close to your limit you need to drop it, then it doesn't make all that much noise going down (even without it being bumper plates). Some people do fold up mats from the aerobic studio for underneath, but I never bother.
  • ritzvin
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I've heard on these boards that some locations do have barbells. And some have commented on not being allowed to bench "too much", which implies that barbells are there (and would just have to move them from a bench to the floor, which I typically do for OHP and rows so I'm not tying up a squat rack).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I guess I have a hard time believing there are bodybuilders and other extremely fit people that are offended by PF's marketing. It's meant to be a joke..

Honestly...no, no it's not. It's a marketing strategy. It's to prey on and perpetuate the stereo type that all gyms BESIDES Planet Fitness are full of judgy mcjudgertons (ironic...I know) that put way too much time and effort into exercise all while being caricatured as morons.

• RGv2
    edited January 2020
    MikePTY wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    Anyone that goes to planet fitness because they are scared to go to another gym belongs in a planet fitness.

Also, I’ve seen videos of people getting kicked out by planet fitness workers in a very aggressive manner. I wish some planet fitness chump would come up to me like that; pulling on my shirt, pushing me, and yelling. That fool would catch a beat down. YouTube it if you don’t know what I’m talking about. The one below starts around 2 mins mark...

https://youtu.be/8id8VZ-0fyM

This guy went into planet fitness with the explicit intention of trying to goad them into kicking him out, behaved in a way that would not be considered appropriate in any gym I've ever been a member to, and he's supposed to be the victim here? I only watched the first minute, but once he took off his shirt and threw it on the ground, it was clear here was just 100% trolling.

Uh...ya, I don't think it's that he got kicked out, but rather how.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    ritzvin wrote: »

I've heard on these boards that some locations do have barbells. And some have commented on not being allowed to bench "too much", which implies that barbells are there (and would just have to move them from a bench to the floor, which I typically do for OHP and rows so I'm not tying up a squat rack).

They do have barbells. They are fixed weight and kinda look like a dumbell that got caught in a pano mode mishap. They go up to about 80 pounds. They also do not have benches where you can actually bench press - they do have tons of adjustable benches but none of them have barbell rests/pins. People either use them for db work or drag them under a Smith Machine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Neither of those are really required for deadlifts. My LA Fitness has neither of those either. If you're not going for a 1RM or something where it's so close to your limit you need to drop it, then it doesn't make all that much noise going down (even without it being bumper plates). Some people do fold up mats from the aerobic studio for underneath, but I never bother.

PF doesn't have loadable barbells. I'm also not sure too many gyms would be down with loading up a few hundred Lbs and deadlifting without a platform and appropriate bumper plates...not really about the noise as much as damage to the plates and floor...even if you're not dropping the weight, constantly tapping iron plates on concrete will ultimately cause damage. Not to mention, sometimes you just slip.

They don't have loadable olympic barbells. They have fixed weight barbells and dumbbells and smith machines. At the last PF I went to I believe the fixed weight barbells tapped out at 90 Lbs. I've belonged to a few PFs over the years as a secondary gym and I've never seen an olympic bar. I've also never heard of anyone being told not to bench too much, but if they did, it would be with dumbbells. I was once reprimanded for doing dumbbell cleans though.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    My town has pf but just opened up a crunch fitness which I'll be joining for $30 a month it includes childcare and classes!
  • RGv2
    Watching TV this morning and a PF commercial came on. Have they changed their identity? It wasn't a commercial poking fun at anyone....heck they even showed a guy running on a treadmill in a tank top; which I thought was against corporate dress code??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    fqvfa760l4ay.jpg

The no jeans and no sandals is common at the gyms I've been in. Fastners on jeans can rip pads and liability issues with sandals when a weight drops on a foot (to be honest though shoes typically worn in a gym won't help much with drops),

The rest PF judgement.
    The reason for closed toed shoes in a gym....................so even if you drop a weight on your foot, you won't bleed all over the floor. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ritzvin
    PF doesn't have loadable barbells. I'm also not sure too many gyms would be down with loading up a few hundred Lbs and deadlifting without a platform and appropriate bumper plates...not really about the noise as much as damage to the plates and floor...even if you're not dropping the weight, constantly tapping iron plates on concrete will ultimately cause damage. Not to mention, sometimes you just slip.

I don't think any of the corporate gyms I've been in have had bare concrete floors anywhere. Typically at least a thin anti-fatigue type or similar flooring that has some force absorption properties in the free weight areas and carpeting around the machines. I've only ever seen bare concrete in the small Crossfit gyms that I run/ride by (in what often appear to be large converted industrial garages). A lot of us deadlift at my LA Fitness without any issue. As for PF, I've never actually been inside one.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    Anyone that goes to planet fitness because they are scared to go to another gym belongs in a planet fitness.

Also, I’ve seen videos of people getting kicked out by planet fitness workers in a very aggressive manner. I wish some planet fitness chump would come up to me like that; pulling on my shirt, pushing me, and yelling. That fool would catch a beat down. YouTube it if you don’t know what I’m talking about. The one below starts around 2 mins mark...

https://youtu.be/8id8VZ-0fyM

This guy went into planet fitness with the explicit intention of trying to goad them into kicking him out, behaved in a way that would not be considered appropriate in any gym I've ever been a member to, and he's supposed to be the victim here? I only watched the first minute, but once he took off his shirt and threw it on the ground, it was clear here was just 100% trolling.

I’m not saying the troller is a victim, he should have been kicked out. Alls I’m saying is that if the manager tried to talk to me that way, he’d catch a beat down. Even if I was trolling, a beat down would be in order.

There are other videos of pf manager going off on lunks even when not trolling.

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Lots of opinions both for and against PF, but it gets people in who might otherwise not be able to afford a gym membership, especially those on a fixed income. My PF opened about six months ago, and I joined then. It's close to home (>mile), clean, with friendly staff. Most times when I'm there, it has a good amount of people, but not packed.