In your 60’s

Replies

• g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    Nayghtymuffin-I find as I 'gain more experience in life' that 'perfect' is overrated! "Imperfection" is where the beauty lies:-). Have a super weekend, everybody!!!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    yes they are very addictive I believe... even those Hales cough drops that have sugar in them. If I start, it's hard to give them up 15 calories each!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    g2renew wrote: »
    Nayghtymuffin-I find as I 'gain more experience in life' that 'perfect' is overrated! "Imperfection" is where the beauty lies:-). Have a super weekend, everybody!!!

Perfect is not in my vocabulary (unless I have good fortune of being on hand to see a Major League pitcher throw a perfect game (27 straight outs with no hits, no baserunners) nor in my mindset. All I strive for is a better version of me, which since my hip replacements last year has been better than I've been in quite some time...and I do so without without sacrificing enjoyment or pleasures. I do not deny myself anymore. I just be real about it and stay under calorie goals and stay true to my exercise as best I can. I ain't gonna be perfect. I will be and am happier; end of story.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I have noticed we don't really see any morbidly obese people past 70, but many skinny ones. hmm

I've met a few . . . mostly in nursing homes.

I know several 70+ athletes, including a couple of my best buddies. They're slim, but not skinny.

It's kind of no-brainer to consider who I should emulate, I think.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    Will be 60 in September. This is going to be my year! Find that eating cleaner and dropping sodas 'cold turkey' gives me almost no cravings! If I do have a sweet craving, I drink a protein shake. I think this is proving (to me) that sugar and processed foods are addictive--the more you eat of them, the more you want! Water, protein, and veggies is key for me:-)

😀🤞
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Hello everyone, I've been quiet till the new changes happened but now that they have Id like to share. I have a new job! I have been semi retired since I got laid off from hospital in 2013 & just worked 8-12 hours/week care giving but wanted to work a little more since I lost 4hrs of my current job so have been working 8 hours/week. I volunteer an a no kill animal rescue shelter & happened to ask the director if there was any opening for a paid position & there was! so now I work 2 mornings a week, 4 hours each. I could work up to 6hrs each. It's what I did as a volunteer but now I have to get it all done on my own unless volunteers come to help. I clean 4 rooms where the little dogs are in, plus theres 4 rooms on "puppy hall" plus feed the feral cats plus there always laundry, poop scoop & dishes to wash if I have time. They are open to the public on weekends starting at 11, so I have to get it all done by then. Originally the building was a state food testing facility that was no longer in use. Darrel, of Darrel's mini storage bought the property 8 years ago & donated it to us (Animal Compassion Team) so there are rooms instead of all kennels. There are large kennels for the big dogs outside & also 5 large yards for play groups. It's a wonderful place. It's on line if any of you want to check it out. We used to foster until we adopted 4 of our fosters so we have 6 dogs but Id like to foster in the future.
  • annliz23
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I've been quiet till the new changes happened but now that they have Id like to share. I have a new job! I have been semi retired since I got laid off from hospital in 2013 & just worked 8-12 hours/week care giving but wanted to work a little more since I lost 4hrs of my current job so have been working 8 hours/week. I volunteer an a no kill animal rescue shelter & happened to ask the director if there was any opening for a paid position & there was! so now I work 2 mornings a week, 4 hours each. I could work up to 6hrs each. It's what I did as a volunteer but now I have to get it all done on my own unless volunteers come to help. I clean 4 rooms where the little dogs are in, plus theres 4 rooms on "puppy hall" plus feed the feral cats plus there always laundry, poop scoop & dishes to wash if I have time. They are open to the public on weekends starting at 11, so I have to get it all done by then. Originally the building was a state food testing facility that was no longer in use. Darrel, of Darrel's mini storage bought the property 8 years ago & donated it to us (Animal Compassion Team) so there are rooms instead of all kennels. There are large kennels for the big dogs outside & also 5 large yards for play groups. It's a wonderful place. It's on line if any of you want to check it out. We used to foster until we adopted 4 of our fosters so we have 6 dogs but Id like to foster in the future.

Wow sound wonderful, great new job and so worthwhile, well done!
  • annliz23
    gaidiesr wrote: »
    63 years young and retired May of 2018. Did a lot of abuse to my body over the decades. Clocked in just shy of 300 pounds when I left the desk job. Currently whittled myself down to 240 pounds and targeting 220 for the end of March and 210 for the end of June. Work out hard every day and started watching my calories which I am now becoming fascinated with. I will say the first 60 pounds I lost seemed relatively easy, but these next 20 are really challenging me.

Keep going your doing really well ,we all plateau at some point but just making healthier choices helps and strengthens our bodies, the important thing is not to give up!
  • geraldaltman
    7sorok wrote: »
    I have to get a colonoscopy - I'm due for it, but I'm not looking toward it. On the other note, my friends in Florida who I did not see for a year all happy to see me losing almost 50 lbs. I had got so many praises and made some photos and I'll tell you I look pretty good and feel great even though my last blood work was kind of not what I would like it to be (I have a big nasty in my blood). People! I'm alive and am very happy about life in general. Have a great day everybody.

The colonoscopy itself is a breeze, you get to banter a little bit with the team attending to you, then you go to sleep for twenty minutes or so. It is the prep you need to do beforehand that isn't fun. Good luck, I hope nothing but normal stuff is found. Unless you are referring to something else, just keep doing what you are doing and you should see the nasty stuff in your blood diminish. Happy for your success and mindset!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »

That sounds like a great change for you!! I wish there was an opportunity like that near me but living in a very small community, it ends up being volunteer only.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    gaidiesr wrote: »
    ... I will say the first 60 pounds I lost seemed relatively easy, but these next 20 are really challenging me.

Heard that. The first 50 pounds came off pretty steadily, but the last 20 are more stubborn than me. And I have gotten complacent - need to rededicate myself to dropping those last few pounds.

• 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member

Who said this? - it's so profound.

As of yesterday, I had gained roughly 4 lbs. So I'm back to strict tracking and counting. I will conquer this devil - overeating and/or bingeing. I'm older, I'm wiser and I'm exercising this time where I didn't many times that I had lost weight before. I'm also not obsessing over 4 lbs, but I have a definite goal and I want to get to it by my birthday in March
  • geraldaltman

Who said this? - it's so profound.

As of yesterday, I had gained roughly 4 lbs. So I'm back to strict tracking and counting. I will conquer this devil - overeating and/or bingeing. I'm older, I'm wiser and I'm exercising this time where I didn't many times that I had lost weight before. I'm also not obsessing over 4 lbs, but I have a definite goal and I want to get to it by my birthday in March

Happy March birthday, mine's the 24th. I hit the "big 65". Wishing you success with your goals. I have pretty much stopped obsessing about everything. It has all been neatly moved to that real or imagined fear that if I stop exercising, watching calories or note a dramatic weight gain that I will revert to the immobile mess I was prior to my 2019 hip replacements. This is behind everything I do anymore. If I step on the scale once maybe twice a month I might worry about obsessing. If I stop losing or gain a pound or four here or there yet continue with my calorie goals and exercise, I just won't worry about it. I have mobility and less pain in my life, I'm good to go!
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    I'm the18th, and I'll be 70, but I feel like 45 because I lost weight and I'm mobile.
    In 2018 I was severely obese and I was falling often even on the straight and dry pavement and I was scared that if I'll fall one more time, I'll never get up. Thus, I'm determined to keep my weight down, besides I want to keep up with you, young girls and boys (LOL).

On the more serious note, how are you doing with your hip replacement? I have a lady in my swim class and she had both knees replaced a short while ago. I hope you're better. I have heard that water exercises might help. So, good luck

• geraldaltman
    I'm the18th, and I'll be 70, but I feel like 45 because I lost weight and I'm mobile.
    In 2018 I was severely obese and I was falling often even on the straight and dry pavement and I was scared that if I'll fall one more time, I'll never get up. Thus, I'm determined to keep my weight down, besides I want to keep up with you, young girls and boys (LOL).

On the more serious note, how are you doing with your hip replacement? I have a lady in my swim class and she had both knees replaced a short while ago. I hope you're better. I have heard that water exercises might help. So, good luck

Plural. I am fast approaching the one year mark on the left side replacement and April will mark a year since the right. It has been a LIFE CHANGER! I was one of those stubborn, knuckleheads that for years resisted the notion of even going in to get checked out, all the while living with terrible gait, discomfort with a couple of falls along the way and wondering how and why my general demeanor and happiness stunk so much!! Then in late 2018 something within me clicked, or struck, like a cage fighter's forearm..."Enough's Enough!!!" I think it was at November check-up that I broke down and asked doctor for orthopedic referral. After "sitting on it" a few days, I made the appointment! In December, I was evaluated and x-rayed. When surgeon came in, it was clear that non-surgical treatment wasn't happening such was the awful state of my hips, "Most Severe" as I often quote him! The rest is now history. After getting through the surgeries and rehab, I haven't looked back, except to remind myself it's not a place I ever want to be in again. Everything I do is better, brighter. Weight loss? I've had some. Last May, less than a month out from second surgery I weighed 281. My last check a few days ago, 239 and along the way I had lab results that my doctor told me had "blown her away"! A year ago I could barely do any kind of exercise. Today, I am walking or doing pool exercise several times a week! Life changer! Happy early 70th best wishes for continued success!
  • annliz23

Plural. I am fast approaching the one year mark on the left side replacement and April will mark a year since the right. It has been a LIFE CHANGER! I was one of those stubborn, knuckleheads that for years resisted the notion of even going in to get checked out, all the while living with terrible gait, discomfort with a couple of falls along the way and wondering how and why my general demeanor and happiness stunk so much!! Then in late 2018 something within me clicked, or struck, like a cage fighter's forearm..."Enough's Enough!!!" I think it was at November check-up that I broke down and asked doctor for orthopedic referral. After "sitting on it" a few days, I made the appointment! In December, I was evaluated and x-rayed. When surgeon came in, it was clear that non-surgical treatment wasn't happening such was the awful state of my hips, "Most Severe" as I often quote him! The rest is now history. After getting through the surgeries and rehab, I haven't looked back, except to remind myself it's not a place I ever want to be in again. Everything I do is better, brighter. Weight loss? I've had some. Last May, less than a month out from second surgery I weighed 281. My last check a few days ago, 239 and along the way I had lab results that my doctor told me had "blown her away"! A year ago I could barely do any kind of exercise. Today, I am walking or doing pool exercise several times a week! Life changer! Happy early 70th best wishes for continued success!

Well done your amazing!
  • geraldaltman
    annliz23 wrote: »

Well done your amazing!

"Blushing"
    No more than anybody else here, but thanks.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Hello everyone, I've not been on here for a while as I've been especially busy helping our daughter pack & sort through her things before moving out of town plus I have that new job so I have 2 part time jobs now. I've not been tracking much due to the bussyness but have not gained weight nor lost. My new job 2 days/week is extremely busy & physical & I literally don't stop moving for 5hrs. I'm grateful I can do it & it's a good tired at the end of the day.