Marathon runner in the making!

Options
It has been a goal of mine to run a Marathon and not only that but qualify for the Boston Marathon. I know! Big goal for a new runner at age 35 but if it’s not now, then when? (This is what I tell myself on a daily basis). I started seriously running August 2019 so I can now consistently run 12-15 miles and be able to recover within a few days. This is huge for me. I am working towards increasing my speed and maintaining some speed while running long distances. Tracking my food has helped enormously to inform me why sometimes I feel amazing during a run and sometimes I’m feeling sluggish.
Next big goal in the next couple of weeks is to be able to run for 3 hrs.
Any runners out here that don’t mind sharing their experience? I’d love to hear it!
Thanks MFP community! Peace and love!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you've definately set yourself a very ambitious goal

current qualification times for Boston are here: https://www.baa.org/2020-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances-announced

for females (and i'm taking a swag at your age) - you are looking at needing 3:33:21 (35-39) or 3:38:21 (40-44)

you need to find a good competitive training plan if you want to succeed - not just running long - something like Hal Higdon or Matt Fitzgerald have solid plans - you probably want an intermediate type plan if you want to be competative.

TBH - i would focus on running your first one and then see what you need to do to qualify for boston
  • keithl01
    keithl01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Boston is an amazing weekend. Its one of the best. I have been lucky enough to run it twice and loved each occasion.

The women's times are considered generally slightly more achievable than the mens but they are what they are.

If it were me I would run a marathon or two first and then see what the long term plan would be to move from that to a BQ and then the big race itself.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a goal. Give it plenty of time. I was running consistently for 3 years before I tackled a full. Personally I wont qualify for Boston as I am way to slow. 4:28 is my marathon PR. But enjoy the process!
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex runner rather than a current one, but did marathons back in the day. I started at 260lb, my first marathon was 4.51 but I got down to a pb of 3.44. not a Boston qualifying time but not far off and it shows that big improvements are possible.

I'm a cyclist now but focussing on how to fuel long efforts such as 100 milers while shifting a bit of weight so if you want to look at what I eat drop me a friend request.
  • Diana_2020
    Diana_2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, 43 and running the Austin Marathon in 4 weeks. My expectations are realistic in that I could not qualify for the Boston Marathon; I'm simply just not fast enough. My longest run so far has been 18 miles and next Sunday, I'm running 20. Start small, work you way up and DO NOT GIVE UP!
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Marathoner and half marathoner here. It’s my jam and I love it. Long term goal is Boston. I’m 36.5. Half marathon time is 2:01 and my first marathon was 4:30ish...weather this years marine corps marathon was awful.

You’re going to get addicted!
  • eytalis364
    eytalis364 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ran the Chicago marathon in 2005 and numerous halfs. Took a break from running last year. Going to run at least a half this year. Want to lose 20 more pounds before I do.