Walkers in the runners-only lanes. It's so common.

Last night, some gym mates and I were talking about people who walk in the runners-only lanes on indoor tracks. We all agreed that this was really annoying and that it can badly interfere with someone's workout.

I mention this because I know some people say, "What's the big deal? You can always go around the walkers anyway." IMO though, walkers are really selfish when they take that attitude. They already have their own lanes. Why should they take up the runners lanes and then declare, "These people will just have to go around me."

Also -- and I know that some will disagree with me on this -- it's a matter of respecting the gym rules. For everyone's benefit, the gym management has graciously allocated certain lanes for runners and certain ones for walkers. Why in the world would you deliberately ignore these rules? The occasional rare exception might be justified (when the lanes are ridiculously crowded, for example), but by and large, there's no benefit to deliberately ignoring the posted lane signs.

I'd go so far as to say that one should stick to the walking lanes even when the running lanes are empty -- again, as a matter of respecting the rules. Again, the occasional exception might be okay, but if you're going to take over a runners-only lane, you need a better reason that just "It's empty and I wanted it."

Yes, this is a peeve of mine. I see people ignoring the track rules all the time, and it bugs me. I've seen collisions happen because of people walking where they shouldn't. On occasion, I've had to come to a complete stop because of walkers stepping into the running lanes without looking -- or worse, because people were just standing around on the track. Please respect the track rules, folks.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Have you spoken to the gym staff about this? It's their responsibility to enforce the rules. If they don't and it's still causing a problem I'd be more forceful about it. Maybe they can put up larger signs or notify the regular "offenders" in a discreet way.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I don’t think walkers realize how much easier it is for a walker to turn abruptly than a runner. Particularly if you are doing speedwork or focusing on your form the last thing you need to extra stuff to think about. That’s why there are lanes in the first place!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    YES, @rheddmobile ! It seems like a little thing, but when you're training or just working hard, these little things matter. Casual exercises usually don't understand that.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i'd run into them personally - oh sorry was doing sprints and didn't see you (that whole tunnel vision thing)

the same goes for swimming pools and lap swim - the one pool i swim at has lanes identified as S/M/F - i showed up to do a swim test one weekend and there was like 1 guy in the fast lane - i figured since i was doing a test, it would work...i lapped him 3 times in the space of 8 minutes...fast was nowhere in the definition of the speed he was going - and i nearly hit him several times because he was almost swimming middle of lane (pool prescribes circle swim)
  • spartan_d
    i'd run into them personally - oh sorry was doing sprints and didn't see you (that whole tunnel vision thing)

the same goes for swimming pools and lap swim - the one pool i swim at has lanes identified as S/M/F - i showed up to do a swim test one weekend and there was like 1 guy in the fast lane - i figured since i was doing a test, it would work...i lapped him 3 times in the space of 8 minutes...fast was nowhere in the definition of the speed he was going - and i nearly hit him several times because he was almost swimming middle of lane (pool prescribes circle swim)
    One woman at a nearby rec center keeps straddling two lanes -- one for walking, one for running.

This might sound unkind, but I wonder if she has some sort of mental issue. It's one thing to not notice the track signs or to deliberately ignore them. Consistently walking right in between two lanes, though? That's just... strange.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Uggghh... this sounds so frustratingly annoying. I would probably deliberately brush by them every time...not enough to knock them down but enough to be annoying to them. I suppose they would complain about that rather than get the hint though.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    This is a constant at the track where I run. I don't mind so much for two reasons:
    1. I am very slow as a runner anyway
    2. I usually go on community days when the track access is free. People of all ages and walks of life come - some very fit and able, others with walkers, some with intellectual disabilities and companions. I love seeing everyone come get some activity in their days.

When I am feeling very serious about a workout or impatient, I go on different days when I have to pay for access and on those days, I do feel people should respect the walkers and runners lanes, though I understand some folks may not even have looked up to the hanging sign to see that such a differentiation exists.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    we had a bunch of walkers and like 4 school teams working on the track last night. so many walkers walking 2 abreast. so many people doing speedwork walking against the flow to get to their starting point. and not giving way.
    i'm on board with pet peeve.
    if they don't learn on the track then i bet these walkers are also the ones that cause traffic jams at races too
  • spartan_d
    Honestly, it annoys me even when I'm NOT using the track. Even if I'm just on the sidelines lifting. And even if they're not currently in anyone's way.

That's because it broadcasts an attitude of "There are some perfectly good lanes that I could use, but I don't care. To hell with the rules. I'm going to use this one instead, just because I can."
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Well, that's frustrating that the staff doesn't seem to care.

I am a walker but I'm very conscious about being considerate of others, particularly anyone going faster than me. I run into this issue on our Riverwalk trails. People, sometimes whole families, walking 4 -5 people wide and totally clueless to anyone coming up (quickly) behind them. Or they let their kids dart all over the path.

I try to just appreciate the fact that people are out and being active and not let it ruin MY walk and MY time but it's not always easy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Reminds me of the debate I had with my sister about the left and right hand lanes when driving. She drives in the left "fast" lane and people have to pass her on the right side. She says if she's not going fast enough then people can just go around her *facepalm*

Certain people are always going to just do what they want regardless of others unfortunately

:s I hate it when people do that. I find it to be so rude. People think because they're behind the wheel they can throw all sense of common courtesy out the window. I had a coworker at my last job who did that as well, and she would claim "I'm going over the speed limit so I'm supposed to be in this lane." No dear, it's the passing lane. If someone wants to go faster than you, GTFO of the way.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I agree with you op that's like kids playing in the swimming lane. You should carry a horn. No one likes getting honked at

I like this idea :D
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    A little bit of order solves so many problems before they start when a lot of people have to share spaces. Even just keeping to the right on trails marked so means people can do their thing while minding their own business. The amount of time I've played chicken with someone coming directly at me is silly.

I'd be the *kitten* in the runners lanes loudly excuse-me-ing and jogging on the spot behind walkers.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    @MelanieCN77 - oh I know but there's no changing my sisters mind....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    There are bike trails with walking trails immediately next to them and people still walk in the bike lane too.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I run on abandoned roads on a former military base. (It's now public land...I'm not sneaking into anywhere I'm not allowed to be!) I am constantly surprised by how two walkers can take up an entire, literal road. People used to drive TANKS on these roads and yet some walkers cannot manage enough room for a runner to pass them. Share the trail...it's not that hard.