Will this really work or am I just kidding myself

I’m so discouraged I just can’t stop eating treats it’s like when my anxiety is better I want junk and I’d rather feel better than be so anxious and sad and not want to eat I’m so confused

Replies

• CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    It will work. A lot of people struggle with emotional eating. It is tough, but you can do it.
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Hello there! What do you define as "treats"? Candies or something else? If you're indulging on candies, I simply say swap it out: replace your candy with a pack of fresh raspberries or blackberries (even a banana). I don't have much of a sweet tooth (bread has always been my weakness), but when I'm in a munching mood, I snack on black olives, berries, or a banana. Maybe not the best "swap out", but if I want chips, I make tostones (fried plantains) and munch on a couple of those (super filling). Don't be discouraged and don't let depression/anxiety weigh you down with doubts and guilt. I completely understand how difficult it is to deal with both. The first few weeks of calorie counting and hitting the gym, I was in a panic constantly... it will get easier in time. Trust and believe in yourself and speak kindly with yourself. Breath. Don't let a little mistake or a little indulgence detour you. It's okay and it will be okay.
  • imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    I have a theory and it held up throughout the years with the people I advise - your hunger will continue until you get he right nourishment. You can eat all the junk food you want but you continue to have the need to feel full and have cravings - now the junk foot spikes your serotonin levels so you feel good but your hunger does wane so you eat more junk food because temporarily it make you feel better but your body still craves the nutrition so it keep your hungry and eating until your body gets what it needs to live. Start with a well rounded high protein meal. and be aware of what you are eating
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    This will work, if you give it time and commitment.

I saw a registered dietician last week and she actually had a really good point regarding treating anxiety and stress with food or drinks: there are countless ways of dealing with occasional anxiety, stress, being tired and other things that put a mental strain on us without being actual mental illnesses that require professional help. Out of the countless ways, food and drinks are the only two ways that cause weight gain.

Have you considered talking about your anxiety or its causes to a professional, or even to a trusted friend?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Yes you can do this. Many people on here have been in your shoes. Just take one step at at time. Self doubt is common when you first start out. But, you are in control and you are way stronger than you think. The wonderful thing about being successful at losing weight..is your inner strength grows stronger with each pound lost. Something just clicks in your mind and a true connection is made and you realize that you're not a victim or helpless..that you were in control the entire time...be it eating the wrong things or eating the right things.

take control of your life. good luck.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    I have to go low carb or my sweet tooth always gets the best fo me..I cant have a little
    I want to count cals and go with the everything in moderation but its better for me not to take the first bite
    When im on a healthy steady low carb, I hardly think about my cravings or sweets....everyone is different
    but you can do it!
    GL
    kim
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    i find that exercise helps my anxiety and also helps manage my appetite. i enjoy walking, weightlifting, stretching, gardening