Low Calorie Chips

Been craving chips. What is a low-calorie chip option or substitute?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    Lay's oven-baked chips have less calories than regular ones ('only' around 400kcal/100gr - regular chips are nearly 500kcal/100g I think.)
    Personally I also love lentil chips (mine are also around 400kcal/100gr) and rice crackers (there are many types, not all are lower calorie than regular chips).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    None of them work for me when I am specifically craving chips. They only work if I want a salty snack. I just leave some calories in my budget for regular chips off and on.

You should still try them though and really want them to work for you. Some things will work and some things will end up on your no compromise list.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    English chips or American chips?

I love these.

0d1r0ouczlco.jpg
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Been craving chips. What is a low-calorie chip option or substitute?

Yes. Baked / air fried home cut french fries. 100cal in 100g RAW potato.

Air fried??? 😮
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member

I love these.

0d1r0ouczlco.jpg

Me too! Or if I'm craving a specific chip like Cheetos or lays I just buy the tiny bags for kids' lunchboxes
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I love the Quest chips, but only eat them occasionally because they are expensive. Veggie straws are only 130 calories/serving and they really satisfy my salty/crunchy craving. Also, if I go the regular chips in moderation route, I like to eat black pepper kettle chips (the Clancy's brand at Aldi is my favorite). I love black pepper, and it's strong enough that one 140-calorie serving is all I need.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Popcorn. Skinny Pop is a good brand. 150 per 28g of popcorn. Which according to them is 3 3/4 cups worth.

Otherwise, a snack size baggie of the type of chip you are craving is a good strategy. Gets the craving out of the way while keeping one from eating half or the whole family size bag.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If it MUST be a potato-based snack, then I like Popchips.

If you just want a salty/savory snack, then I like Pop Art popcorn. They have interesting flavors--nori sesame is my favorite, but I like everything I've tried. 28g is somewhere from 110-150 calories depending on the flavor. http://www.popartsnacks.com/index.php?route=common/home

I also like these gigantic corn/cheese puffs, especially the asiago black pepper ones: https://www.worldmarket.com/product/fuller-foods-asiago-&-black-pepper-serious-cheesy-puffs.do. They make other flavors too. 150 calories for 30 grams.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

I love these.

0d1r0ouczlco.jpg

OP reportedly is from Texas, so I'm thinking American chips (crisps).

I vote for (salted) popcorn as a crunchy, salty lower-calorie alternative.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Regular potatoes, cut thin, baked in the oven without any oil.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I usually just eat regular chips but weigh them out so I know I’m getting the exact amount I account for in logging.
    I do like the baked ones, but they don’t have the same taste as regular chips. I also like the veggie chips/veggie straws. Again, not exactly like the regular chips but still good.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    If I'm craving the fatty/salty -ness, then no substitute will do, and I will on that rare occasion allow myself maintenance calories and have some real chips.

If I just have that crisp salty munchiness, I like Pop Chips in just about any flavor (though they're hard to find around here sometimes) or Quaker Rice Chips in cheddar. Baked Lays would be a distant but still viable third.
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    La favorite corn chips 70 calories for 28 grams
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I walk into the store and have an odd craving for potato chips, I know I'm premenstrual, and get one small (like an ounce) bag of Lay's Original. It's funny, this only happens once per month.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Microwave oil free chips.

Thinly slice a potato with a mandolin or food processor. Lay out in a single layer on a large plate lined with silicon coated baking paper and season. I like vinegar flavoured salt. Zap 6 minutes on high in the microwave. Remove any that are golden brown and zap stragglers at 1 minute intervals being careful that the margin of error between golden brown and burnt is narrow. These harden to a crisp when they cool.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    When I'm prepping properly, I usually have baked zucchini or sweet potato chips in my house somewhere. I make them at home so I know what is in them and they satisfy that crunch craving that I usually want. I also do apple chips when I want something sweet and crunchy...

But like other's said, if you want proper chips then fit a single serving into your calorie allotment and keep on going through your day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I love veggie straws. 130 calories for around 60 pieces.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I also like pop chips. They satisfy my need for something crunchy and salty and I can limit myself to a handful. Works for me.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2020
    Popchips!