Strength training to burn fat and gain muscle

I havevbeen at it for about 3. months with 2 1 week breaks due being sick andca death in the family half way across the country. But other then that i have been strength training 3 days a week for about 1 hours at a time. I have a hone gym that allows me a full body workout. So i can work every muscle when strength training. I am happy with my progress so far. I have gained noticeable muscle and burned noticeable fat. I don't care about gaining a lot of muscle, i just don't want to be fat. The muscle gain is just a bonus. I am bulkier then i thought i would be based on my routine.

I am 5'10" and have been around 260 pounds for the 3 months i have been at this. I know inuave made good progress even though i haven't lost weight, i don't care about the number anyway. I have some good muscle definition everywhere except my lower torso. I am even starting to see the beginnings of abs right below my pecs and along the sides. My arms and legs are all muscle and look pretty good.

My question is will my weight go down at sone point even though i am losing fat? Because everything i have read says a guy of a height of 5'10" when muscular weights about 190 to 220. Nothing i have read says more then that. So for my condition it serms like i should weight less then i do. Do you think this is normal? Do you think tge number on the scale willl start going down or do muscular guys typically weigh so much? I do still have fat to lose but it is all in my torso. I don't care about the number but i find ou it odd that i weigh so much with the progress i have made in the last 3 months.

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    My question is will my weight go down at sone point even though i am losing fat? Because everything i have read says a guy of a height of 5'10" when muscular weights about 190 to 220. Nothing i have read says more then that. So for my condition it serms like i should weight less then i do. Do you think this is normal? Do you think tge number on the scale willl start going down or do muscular guys typically weigh so much? I do still have fat to lose but it is all in my torso. I don't care about the number but i find ou it odd that i weigh so much with the progress i have made in the last 3 months.

Yes, I lost 98lbs without doing a lick of cardio and only using weights. At 3 months you start to see some changes like how you see more muscle, that's because the fats going away and the muscles are getting bigger. I wouldn't worry about the scale so much more so how you look as it can become an obsession the progress is in your physique as you've noticed but not on the scale.

It takes time, so you just have to keep going, I would increase to 5-6 days a week and do push pull legs to get it in twice a week. If you're new to lifting too will see some great gains in your first year.

As for weight to size ratio I was up to 270lbs in December (bulking but took it way to far - as in to much fat) and still wear a size 36 pants... idk if that helps but that's just an example of how being more muscular doesn't mean all fat or that you drastically change sizes.

Focus on the muscle cause you'll go from being called the fat guy to the skinny guy and will hate it just as much, at least it drove me *kitten* nuts when people would call me skinny... I never wanted to be skinny ever or fat I always wanted ppl to look at me and know that I lift weights. idk I guess that's more of a rant then anything.

Best of luck, and sorry for your loss sir.
  • dallsop417
    dallsop417 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I might be wrong in my figures, someone correct me if so, but the weights you quoted for someone your height is regarding someone with 10%body fat or less. So most of the weight is muscle. This is the weight maximum a bodybuilder can reach of your height with low bf in a natural way. Anyone heavier of your height with low bf is on steroids.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    I would say most natural 5'10 guys at sub 10% body fat are going to be 155-175lbs.

You will get there just takes time.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Reduce your calories to under 200 of your maintenance and continue to reduce by a 100 every week to observe the rate of weight loss.

If you begin to reduce it by more than 300, remember to lower the volume of your strength training while attempting to keep your strength levels at least 70% of what they would be on a bulk to ensure you are still maintaining the strength you have built over these last few months.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    What is your goal? If you want to be lean, or leaner, focus on calories and maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. 10-15% below maintenance is generally considered good for steady, sustainable weight loss. And unless you're sub-10% body fat, you can still make gains in strength and muscle size if you are using a good progressive lifting program and eating sufficient protein. And even more so because you're still pretty new to lifting. The newer you are to resistance training the quicker and more dramatic your gains will be. Unfortunately that tapers off after a period of time, typically after 6-12 months of consistent training, but there are a lot of variables that determine that for each person.

Recomp, which is staying the same weight but losing fat while gaining muscle, as others have mentioned, is a slower process. You won't gain muscle and strength as fast as you would if you were in a calorie surplus (bulking) and you won't lose fat fast as you would if you were in a calorie deficit (cutting). And at some point, as you become more advanced in your resistance training, you're going to find it's much more difficult to gain muscle and strength and so the already slow process of recomping will have to slow even further.

Many people figure they're going to be lifting for the rest of their life anyway so an almost perpetual recomp is perfect for them, especially if they hate the idea of gaining any fat. Some find recomp is too slow of a process and prefer bulk/cut cycles. It just depends on your goals and your preferences.