Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Jillian Michael comments about Lizzo

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    When I go to a major league sporting event, there are drunk people yelling profanities at the players, occasionally people getting into fights, weirdos hanging around the bathrooms, folks smoking weed in the parking lot. I had no idea sporting events in most of the country were paragons of virtue that are expected to pose no awkward moments you need to explain to your kids! Clearly I'm mistaken and need to choose different venues :smile:

Unfortunately other than the yelling at players part, the same could be said of many supercenters/shopping areas on Black Friday, Mari Gras, concerts, etc.

Our collective behavior as a country can be somewhat suspect at times.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    When I go to a major league sporting event, there are drunk people yelling profanities at the players, occasionally people getting into fights, weirdos hanging around the bathrooms, folks smoking weed in the parking lot. I had no idea sporting events in most of the country were paragons of virtue that are expected to pose no awkward moments you need to explain to your kids! Clearly I'm mistaken and need to choose different venues :smile:

Unfortunately other than the yelling at players part, the same could be said of many supercenters/shopping areas on Black Friday, Mari Gras, concerts, etc.

Our collective behavior as a country can be somewhat suspect at times.

Oh, ITA. I think it would be awesome if most of the places we gathered for entertainment or food DID provide some freedom from crass behavior. I'm certainly not saying I think it's fine that a celebrity flashed people in that stands, just that I'm surprised this one particular incident made such an impression.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Hey. Now I know who Lizzo is.

Coulda gone another few decades without her being on my radar - so - something...?
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »

I think maybe you do need to choose different venues. I have been to all sorts of sporting events all over the country, and I believe you are mistaken if you believe that everything you described above is common place.

Fair enough. While I'm not saying those things are "commonplace", in my experience they are something you need to be prepared for. They sell metric tons of alcohol. Some people get passionate and angry about their team. The tickets warn you if you get knocked unconscious by the ball or puck flying into the stands, it's on you. It just would never occur to me that a professional sporting event would be a place I should expect my children would be shielded from adult or inappropriate behavior, like an overweight woman twerking in the stands.

I am not claiming that none of what you described never happens, but I can't say I have ever had a bad experience with my ladies at a sporting event. Yes, it's possible to get hit by a baseball, but thats why I don't seat a 3, 5, and 7 year old down either foul line. I make sure we have seats somewhere with a good view which allows me to react if a foul ball were to come our way. Yes, there are people drinking, but not all sporting events are equal in that aspect either. A college or pro football game is far more likely to involve tailgating and heavier drinking which in turn leads to more profanity and fighting. As a parent, I wouldn't imagine taking my girls to see the Raiders and Broncos play in Oakland, because that is one of the environments where what you described probably is more common place. The thing is, any environment packed with lots of people can be suspect(go people watch at a state fair in the midwest...its crazy), but thats when a parent should be on the greatest guard anyways. I just don't think its fair to single out sporting events as the issue, because I have never been at any game where someone "performed" like Lizzo did. If its done in public, I think its classless regardless of the venue, and the fact that its done in public leaves it open for scrutiny.

I feel like you're missing my point, so maybe I'm not expressing myself well. There were posts before mine that seemed to me to be suggesting that parents shouldn't have to worry about their children being exposed to something as inappropriate as non-professional twerking at a sporting event, where that sort of thing simply doesn't happen. I was merely suggesting that I'm surprised people think of professional sporting events as some kind of safe-space for children. I'm not singling out sporting events as a bad place, I'm expressing surprise that some posters are singling them out as a wholesome place, at least as I'm reading their posts.

I understand the point you are making, and I still stand by mine. I think that her actions at the game lacked class, and I would feel that way regardless of her body type. I wouldn't say that all sporting events are wholesome places, but I would say that there should at least be a level of decency at these events. If a fan gets drunk and verbally or physically abusive, they get booted. In my experience, 99% of the other fans don't tolerate crude behavior like that, and security has always been quick to act. People keep throwing out the cheerleaders uniforms and asking what the difference is, and with all due respect, that's an absurd comparison. Although I might not want my girls to leave my house dressed as a cheerleader, I have never seen a cheerleader in a thong grinding on people at a game. Like I stated earlier though, there are various degrees of these types of things depending on the sporting event. I would insist that a baseball game is indeed a wholesome event. The womens college basketball game I took my girls to last week was also a wholesome event. The Lakers game might be a different story simply because its LA, but I still stick to my assertion that what she did at that game was classless.